Why won’t remote control tv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
In my bedroom I have a cheap Olevia brand tv that I’ve had for years. I’ve also had the same Joey and remote for years. The past few weeks I’ve had problems with the dish remote controlling the tv (power & volume). The batteries are good so I’m not sure why this is happening. It only happens maybe 2-3 times per week. So some nights it works fine. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my bedroom I have a cheap Olevia brand tv that I’ve had for years. I’ve also had the same Joey and remote for years. The past few weeks I’ve had problems with the dish remote controlling the tv (power & volume). The batteries are good so I’m not sure why this is happening. It only happens maybe 2-3 times per week. So some nights it works fine. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We just had a similar thread. You say your batteries are OK. Have you put new batteries in the remote? Sometimes the DISH equipment may say the batteries are OK but they may be too weak to control the TV. crodrules brought that up in the other thread and the OP changed the batteries and it fixed the issue.

I didn’t see that thread. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
Here it is:
One thing I forgot to mention in that thread is if the remote is still controlling the TV some of the time, then whenever it stops controlling the TV, you can try taking one of the batteries out of the remote and putting it back in. This may work as a temporary fix to get the weak batteries working again, so you are not constantly replacing the batteries with fresh ones all of the time. (I am a cheapskate, so I do not change my batteries until I absolutely have to.)

• Haha
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Here it is:
One thing I forgot to mention in that thread is if the remote is still controlling the TV some of the time, then whenever it stops controlling the TV, you can try taking one of the batteries out of the remote and putting it back in. This may work as a temporary fix to get the weak batteries working again, so you are not constantly replacing the batteries with fresh ones all of the time. (I am a cheapskate, so I do not change my batteries until I absolutely have to.)
For two weeks I have had spotty remote response. I turned off the IR option in the menu, moved the little antenna on the back around, rebooted the receiver many times, cursed and after reading the other thread changed my batteries. Been watching the game all night so haven't made many moves, but it seems OK.

I'm wondering if some update changed the sensitivity of the "Low Battery" on-screen prompt?

Reactions: pattykay
Here it is:
Would rechargeable batteries work? Anyone ever try connecting the remote to a plug-in power adapter of the correct voltage in lieu of batteries? I know that adds a wire (ugh) and defeats one of the desired attributes of a remote by compromising portability, but I'd bet that in a lot of applications, the remote stays in the same place on the nightstand nearly 100% of the time. For example, I already have a wired adapter at my bedside to recharge my phone, one more wouldn't be an issue...

Would rechargeable batteries work?
Rechargeable AA and AAA batteries are only 1.2V, while regular batteries are 1.5V. The 1.2V rechargeables are a problem because 1.2V is the cutoff point for determining when a 1.5V cell is dead. When you put a rechargeable in, the remote will see the 1.2V rechargeable batteries as being used up, even though they have been fully charged.

Rechargeable AA and AAA batteries are only 1.2V, while regular batteries are 1.5V. The 1.2V rechargeables are a problem because 1.2V is the cutoff point for determining when a 1.5V cell is dead. When you put a rechargeable in, the remote will see the 1.2V rechargeable batteries as being used up, even though they have been fully charged.
Correct. In the other thread, the Thread Starter tested the old batteries that had been having problems controlling the TV. They tested at 1.45V. That should have been good enough to still work, but they still needed to be replaced with fresh ones. There is definitely something wrong with either the remote control software, or the receiver software. (possibly both)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)