Wifi Interference?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Firefighter1466

Original poster
Oct 9, 2020
Virginia, United States
We bought a house recently that only has 1 cable wire coming into the house. The house is built on a slab foundation and is two story, so creating multiple COAX locations is troublesome to say the least. Our DISH provider let us know that they had a solution that would work for us, Wireless Joeys. We made the leap and upgraded from 4 regular joey's to 4 Wireless Joeys. So here's our setup:

In my living room my TV is connected to my Hopper 3. The Hopper 3 has two wireless gateway's provided by DISH on the back, each of which sends signal to two joeys each. My Wireless Modem is about 3 feet away from the Dish Equipment (due to constraints with the cable length). We recently upgraded to the Eero Pro 3-Pack. I have the main one connected to the modem and about a foot away from the modem and 4-5 feet away from the DISH equipment. The Hopper 3 is connected to our internet wirelessly as a hardwired connection is not possible with both ethernet ports being used by the DISH Wireless devices for the Joeys.

Ever since we upgraded to Eero, I'm getting an insane amount of what seems like interference. Our wireless Joeys upstairs will connect sometimes, sometimes they say they cannot connect to the Hopper. Sometimes I can restart them and fix it, sometimes restarting does nothing. I also notice "reverse interference" in that my Skype calls on my laptop when I'm 15 feet away sitting in my living room will have bad connection issues, and gaming on my PC upstairs (located right next to one of the Eeros) will cause major lag spikes randomly.

I've read that bridging or MOCA can cause issues with connectivity with the Joey's fighting for both connections (The wireless they receive through the adapters provided by DISH, and the true wireless provided by the Hopper through my router), though I'm not sure if this is true. I went into my Hopper settings and found that MOCA was not being used. Bridging was "ON" so I switched it to "OFF" to troubleshoot right before posting this, so I'm not sure how much of a fix that will be.

Any suggestions? I have 100+ Mbps speed through Xfinity for internet, and wireless connected, my Hopper will stream Amazon Prime, however, it seems to have issues buffering sometimes when only located 4-5 feet from the router and modem.

I'm baffled by this, there just seems to be no other option but to look for interferences.

If it matters at all, the Modem is a Netgear CM1150V.

Thanks in advance!

I used to have 3 Wireless Joeys running off one WAP. The Wireless Joey in the master bedroom gave me constant fits. It would disconnect randomly from the Hopper with Sling I had at the time. I would have to reset the entire system approximately once a week. They replaced the Hopper with Sling, they replaced the WAP and nothing seemed to fix it.

Apparently, even though the WJ in the master bedroom showed a consistent signal strength of 55-60, the signal from the WAP had issues reaching that Joey due to walls/ceiling that it had to pass through. They replaced that WJ with a wired Joey 3 and they ran the wire through the attic to connect it. We have had no more issues with watching Dish in that bedroom since. I have since upgraded to a Hopper 3 and I decided connect the internet to it via ethernet cable due to wireless internet connectivity issues with my cable modem.

Would it be possible to use a Dish Internet adapter to move one of the WAP's closer to (same room as) the most problematic WJ?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm not sure exactly how I could move it closer. There's only one place for the Hopper 3 to connect, and it has 2 of the WAPs on the back of it using both ports. An update to earlier, turning off bridging did no good. Right now all of the joeys are working fine, but my internet is suffering because of it for everything else in the house (Work laptop, personal computer, phones etc..) I'm not sure if I have the latest WAP, but we just had them put in back in November of 2019. The Model says: Wireless Joey Access Point 2.

Any other ideas? Would disconnecting my Hopper from wireless help at all? Do I need to find a way to separate the modem/router from the Hopper? This was never an issue when my modem was downstairs and my old router was upstairs, however, it had a 75' ethernet cable running across my house which is nowhere near ideal..

I have two WAPs plugged into the Hopper sending signal to 2 Wireless Joey's each. I've also had this setup since November of 2019 without any issues until I switched to the Eero Pro 3-Pack Wireless. The only difference is, the router is closer than it used to be to the Joey's WAPs and the Hopper, and it's a new system.

I did not know you can have two WAPs attached to the Hopper. I would guess that your new router that is closer to the WAPs could be the issue.

How far would you say it needs to be? I'm tempted to take a longer ethernet cable and run the router about 15 feet from the modem to see if it makes a noticeable difference for a few days. If it does, I'll try to find a solid plan to workaround this without a cable running all over the place. If it does not, I'm back to square one.

The Hopper is also connected wirelessly to the internet, I wonder if that's causing some interference? Maybe I should try disconnecting the Wifi on the router first? But then again, it was connected to the last one as well..

How far would you say it needs to be? I'm tempted to take a longer ethernet cable and run the router about 15 feet from the modem to see if it makes a noticeable difference for a few days. If it does, I'll try to find a solid plan to workaround this without a cable running all over the place. If it does not, I'm back to square one.

The Hopper is also connected wirelessly to the internet, I wonder if that's causing some interference? Maybe I should try disconnecting the Wifi on the router first? But then again, it was connected to the last one as well..
15 feet should be enough distance. But the WAPs need to be away from your new router, not the modem. I don't think your Hopper connected wirelessly to the Internet is the issue. Try getting your router away from the two WAPs first.

I have two H3's and no Joeys so I can't speak to how they work. However, I was having issues with streaming 4K on the H3 farthest from my Synology router. My solution was powerline devices. You would need one powerline device connected to your router, and one each for your Joeys. Of course that would mean going back to the non-wireless Joey setup if I understand how those work. My internet speed is 80Mbs and the powerline devices are capable of much more than that. Of course it also depends on your home electrical wiring. For my 1900 sq ft. house it hasn't been an issue.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)