WiFi on Hopper 3

pgde

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Desert Oasis Ranch, Tucson, AZ
Hi All:

Is it possible to add an external WiFi antenna to the H3? My received signal strength when I choose Home Media is about 30% which is half of what my HWS's strength was. I can't change the location of either the WiFi modem or H3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

P.

I don't think you can get an external antenna. There are a few options that could improve things though.

First, you could try a wireless bridge. This is a device that can pick up your WiFi signal and provide an internet connection to other devices over ethernet. This is typically used for devices that don't have built in WiFi but it may or may not have a stronger antenna than the one built into the H3.

Amazon product ASIN B00BZQLBG0
Another option is a WiFi repeater. You put this somewhere between the wireless router and your H3. It will connect to your WiFi network and then rebroadcast the signal. This will make your WiFi signal stronger for all devices in the area, not just the H3.

Amazon product ASIN B00L0YLRUW
Lastly, you could try a powerline adapter. I have had a bad experience with these in general. Some people swear by them but it totally depends on the power lines in your house. I tried them out to reduce latency for online gaming from what I was seeing over my WiFi network but they turned out to be much slower than the WiFi in my house. I ended up just wiring my house for gigabit ethernet after these turned out to be a dud for me.

Amazon product ASIN B00AWRUICG
Edit: of the 3 choices I mentioned, I think a WiFi repeater would be your best bet.

Thanks so much for the replies. I do have an extender (Amped Wireless RE1000) however, it is at the other end of the house. Our home is all brick, including interior walls, and brick is a good absorber of WiFi signals...:(

I do have the WiFi USB stick from my HWS and it didn't occur to me to try it. I guess I'll need to run a Cat6 ethernet cable to the other room. Now to figure out how to.....

Regards,

P.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts