Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today I am proud to announce that WildBlue has been selected as the official Broandband Internet Provider for the SatelliteGuys.US / DishRetailer.COM Internet Cafe' at the 2005 Satellite Expo show in Memphis, TN!

At the Internet Cafe we will have 8 PC's all powered by WildBlue!

Come on down to the expo and be one of the first to experiance WildBlue!

For more details on the Satellite Expo please visit http://www.satelliteexpo2005.com

For more details on WildBlue Communications please visit http://www.wildblue.com

Not at the moment. We have no activity in this forum yet, so why make 2 forums.

We have some good stuff coming from WildBlue though. Stay Tuned! :D

I have had WB for a month and I have really enjoyed the speed and use of the service. I do recommend the service for sure. if you are thinking of satellite internet service this would be it.

I find Wildblue's tiered service to be very apealing. I will be happy with anything faster than dial-up so I'm goig with the Value Pac. I noticed their packages have changed from what it was a few months ago before start-up.

the techs in my company are going to get trained for wb at the end of the month, so far it looks a whole hell of a lot easier to install than direcway is.
another benefit for corporate use is the ability to use VPN. i know we have several jobs already lined up for construction company onsite offices that need internet with VPN.

cablewithaview said:
I have had WB for a month and I have really enjoyed the speed and use of the service. I do recommend the service for sure. if you are thinking of satellite internet service this would be it.

Have you determined the latency time yet? I have heard various numbers from two "Installers from NRTC" in our area--and they vary widely, so wonder what the variable is? We are not able to get an install until August, but want to wait anyway--to see what others are experiencing as far as installs and quality.

The Latency time is around 400MS from the breif test I have run. It is noticiable to me because I am on a high speed data line, however for those looking to move from Dialup to Bradband, Wildblue does an excellent job.

Ok after having a few days of using WildBlue and from talking from others who were using it at our booth I must give praise to Wildblue.

The obvious latency issues aside the speed of Wildblue was great, many hard core users came by the booth and tried putting Wildblue through its paces and all walked away saying that the service worked better then the other Satellite companies they used.

I watched a group of retailers learn how to install WildBlue, and the setup to me looked simpler then some of the Starband and DirectWay installs I have watched in the past. The dish itself even looks high tech (click here to see it)

The guys from Wildblue were VERY confident about their product and told us to hammer the hell out of it, and they said this with a grin on their faces. I am happy to say it held up really well.

Thanks to the folks at WildBlue for letting us give their product a real good testing!

I am looking for any option besides Comcast, but WildBlue is even more expensive than Comcast, slower, and you have to buy equipment! My guess is WildBlue will fail. The only people to get it will be rural areas with no DSL/Broadband provider. This sucks because we need more competitive options out there!

Ray_Air said:
I am looking for any option besides Comcast, but WildBlue is even more expensive than Comcast, slower, and you have to buy equipment! My guess is WildBlue will fail. The only people to get it will be rural areas with no DSL/Broadband provider. This sucks because we need more competitive options out there!
Physics dictates that NO satellite internet service will ever be competitive with land-based systems (latency just can't be overcome). Plus bandwidth on the ground is just plain cheaper that satellite bandwidth.

I live in the city and have the choice of phone company DSL, Earthlink DSL, and Comcast. WildBlue (or any other satellite service) will NEVER be in the running.

But I think there are LOTS of people who lack any sort of broadband option, and will for quite a long time (I hestitate to say never). My in-laws have a vacation home on a river that is at least 10 miles from the closest town. On a good day they are lucky to get 34kbs dial-up speed. They live there about 4 months out of the year but are used to DSL when at home. They're pretty much ready to jump on this service.

That's the target market. And I bet that market is in the (tens of?) millions of households.

Whether WildBlue can make money this way I can't predict. I'm skeptical of the business model because if you get enough customers to cover the cash flow and cost of satellite then nobody will get enough bandwidth. I can only assume these guys have done their homework...

Robert

gale1220 said:
Can anyone please tell me if WildBlue will be available in the rural areas? Thanks.
Rural areas are precisely the target areas for Wildblue. You should be able to sign up with your RECC. If not, you can sign up for the service on the WildBlue Web site so that after the RECC rollout is complete, you'll be able to get the service directly.

wild blue service

Had wild blue installed this weekend and I can say it is lights out better than the old starband service I had and I am currently on the lowest price plan. Very pleased. Satellite is my only option where I live.

gale1220 said:
Can anyone please tell me if WildBlue will be available in the rural areas? Thanks.

If you rural electric coop is a memnber of the NRTC you can get it now and they are charging just for the equipment. It's a good deal really. I am an installer for a coop in Southwest Minnesota and I can say that all the people I have installed are happy with the service as these people only have slow dial up service now. DSL, in my opinion, would be better for various reasons but I would not be scared at all to use Wild blue as my provider.

bookwalk said:
Have you determined the latency time yet? I have heard various numbers from two "Installers from NRTC" in our area--and they vary widely, so wonder what the variable is? We are not able to get an install until August, but want to wait anyway--to see what others are experiencing as far as installs and quality.
Here are a couple of pings from a forum on broadbandreports. So far, these and others seem consistent and what you'd expect based on the laws of physics.

Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 591ms, Maximum = 609ms, Average = 597ms

ping test results

Test Status: Done.
DNS Location Average ping1 ping2 ping3
Dallas, TX, USA 622 604 592 646
Andover, MA, USA 748 582 793 809
Geneva, Switzerland 865 692 958 905
yahoo (various) 648 555 651 692
google (various) 690 865 627 633
Adelaide, Australia 880 785 790 973

Any outages?

Has anyone that has experience with WildBlue come up with outages? I have seen discussions on latency, but I would like to know if storms, sunspots, winds, or other natural events (like teenagers) have caused disruption in service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)