Will 512 Work With Both IR and UHF Pro Remotes At The Same Time?

GFT

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I just got a 512 as a replacement for a 508. Because of that I didnt get an accessory pack, so no remotes included. It happens that I had one IR and one UHF Pro remotes with the correct feature buttons for PIP, etc. But I can't seem to make both work at the same time. Either the IR one works or the UHF remote works but not both at once. The checkbox in the setup options to enable uhf pro is checked but that doesnt seem to matter. Am I missing something or won't it work?

Mary, I'm quite sure when I had a 508, it could recognize both. Possibly using the #1 remote code?
( I realize it is a different receiver, but my 612 also recognizes both, without using the #1 code.)

The 522 also could use both IR/UHF and I believe a 512 started life as a 522 did they somehow modify the receiver in the conversion to a 512?

I will modify my answer to say I know for sure it worked with both. I used my remote on UHF, but it worked with my Slingbox at the same time, and that is IR.

I will modify my answer to say I know for sure it worked with both. I used my remote on UHF, but it worked with my Slingbox at the same time, and that is IR.
508 would not have been a problem. The 512 has a special screen Menu 6-1-6 (TV1 UHF Pro Set-up), this screen has to be enabled or disabled and it therefore either turns UHF on or off. It will not allow for both IR & UHF simultaneous usage.

The manual indicates it can. It would be the only Dish UHF receiver I am aware of that can not get both if it doesn't.

Quote from manual;
Setting Up TV1 to Operate in IR (default)
The following instructions describe how to set up TV1 to operate in IR only,
which is the default.
1. Perform the following with an existing linked remote control:
a. Open the TV1 UHF Pro Setup screen by pressing MENU-6-1-6 on the
remote control.
b. Select Disable from the TV1 UHF Pro Setup screen.
c. Select System Info to open the System Information screen.
2. Perform the following with an IR remote control, such as a Remote Control
5.4 (as shown in the writing on the back of the remote), that you intend to
use to control TV1:
a. Press the RECORD button. The Done button should be highlighted.
b. Make sure the System Information screen shows that the Primary
Remote Address indicates IR.

Setting Up TV1 to Operate in UHF Pro
You can set your receiver to operate TV1 using an optional IR/UHF Pro remote
control (sold separately) by completing the following instructions:

1. Perform the following using an existing remote control:
a. Open the TV1 UHF Pro Setup screen by pressing MENU-6-1-6 on the
remote control.
b. Select Enable from the TV1 UHF Pro Setup screen.
c. Select System Info to open the System Information screen.
d. Move the highlight to the address for the Primary Remote Address as
shown below.
2. Perform the following steps using the UHF Pro remote that you are going to
use to control TV1:
a. Press and hold the SAT mode button about three seconds, until all the
mode buttons light up, and then release the SAT button. The SAT mode
button begins to blink.
b. Use the NUMBER PAD buttons to enter any number from 1 to 16. The
SAT mode button goes blinks as you enter each digit, then remains lit.
Write down the number you entered:
c. Press the POUND (#) button. If you entered the address correctly, the
SAT mode button will flash three times.
d. Press the RECORD button.
e. Make sure the System Information screen shows that the Primary
Remote Address indicates UHF Pro and IR, and that this address
matches the number that you wrote down in step b.
If you set up your receiver to operate tuner using UHF Pro,
any other UHF Pro remotes in the building will interfere with
each other when operated at the same time. This may prevent
remotes from operating the receiver momentarily.
Note: Highlight the
Primary Remote
Address.

2. Perform the following steps using the UHF Pro remote that you are going to
use to control TV1:
a. Press and hold the SAT mode button about three seconds, until all the
mode buttons light up, and then release the SAT button. The SAT mode
button begins to blink.
b. Use the NUMBER PAD buttons to enter any number from 1 to 16. The
SAT mode button goes blinks as you enter each digit, then remains lit.
Write down the number you entered:
c. Press the POUND (#) button. If you entered the address correctly, the
SAT mode button will flash three times.
d. Press the RECORD button.
e. Make sure the System Information screen shows that the Primary
Remote Address indicates UHF Pro and IR
, and that this address
matches the number that you wrote down in step b.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/supportsection/manuals

Last edited:
Software changes and the manual often has really OLD info. The point is that the 512 is designed for a ONE TV experience. The software could really by such that it allow only IR or RF, not both since there is NO 2nd TV experience. It doesn't rally matter that the 50X and 510 allowed both simultaneously as it it NOT a 512.

There is a simple solution: Get another RF remote and use the same Access Code as the first remote. Now you have control of the ONE TV experience 512 as desired. We are talking about $20 here. Calculating the time and trouble of seeking something that may not exist has to be weighed with getting what one wants before the week is out and at a nominal cost.

The point is that the 512 is designed for a ONE TV experience.

If that's the point it makes no sense whatsoever. The 501/508 is designed for a ONE TV experience also. Maybe you have $20 extra to spend, I would rather try a couple of things first and use the remotes I have now. Which is exactly what I have done through the years, and is why I know ALL the other receivers can do it. Sure it's possible for whatever reason the 512 can't now, why not find out for sure?

My suggestion is to put the receiver into the UHF mode. Then go to the system info page, using the UHF remote (that is important) and set the code to 1. Make sure that works, then get out of the system info page. Now program the IR remote to code 1, again, not while in the system info page. Now see if both work.

Last edited:
Like Mary indicated, until someone who actually has a 512 in front of them gets back to us, we could speculate forever. Personally, I find it hard to understand why Dish would take the trouble to handicap the receiver in this manner.

512/522/625 are practically the same hardware and if I recall correctly back when I had a 625 TV1 UHF Pro Setup only disabled/enabled UHF Pro and didn't affect IR at all.

Well guess what, it does work with both IR and UHF reomtes after all, but the catch is only on remote channel 1. Earlier I had been trying to set it up on ch 2 and it kept giving error messages saying both remotes were trying to be set up on the same channel. That seemed kind of wierd. To get it to work you have to enable the uhf pro feature in menu 6-1-6, of course. Then the key seems to be setting the remote channel on the sys info screen to ch 1 using the uhf remote. Then both the uhf and ir controls will work. But if you select it using the ir remote, the uhf remote will not work, even though the selector box is checked as previously. Kind of a wierd programming bug (eh, feature) but at least it works.

The old 508 this 512 is replacing worked with both systems all the time, no extra setup steups were required. But that was a different box.

This unit seems to be a crippled 522, as someone noted earlier. Same case, same jacks on the back, except the 2nd tv option is disabled in the software. Thankfully Dish did allow use of the second tuner for the PIP features and dual recording mode. And with the larger drive compared to the 508 it makes a nice enhancement to the system we had previously.

Thanks for all your help everybody. You folks are the best!!

Well guess what, it does work with both IR and UHF reomtes after all, but the catch is only on remote channel 1.

My suggestion is to put the receiver into the UHF mode. Then go to the system info page, using the UHF remote (that is important) and set the code to 1.

:high5: And saved yourself $20 for a second remote! lol

Nice. I wonder if changing the IR code first, to another channel, then enabling uhf, and changing to that channel, would work as well?

Well guess what, it does work with both IR and UHF reomtes after all, but the catch is only on remote channel 1. Earlier I had been trying to set it up on ch 2 and it kept giving error messages saying both remotes were trying to be set up on the same channel. That seemed kind of wierd. To get it to work you have to enable the uhf pro feature in menu 6-1-6, of course. Then the key seems to be setting the remote channel on the sys info screen to ch 1 using the uhf remote. Then both the uhf and ir controls will work. But if you select it using the ir remote, the uhf remote will not work, even though the selector box is checked as previously. Kind of a wierd programming bug (eh, feature) but at least it works.
I'm trying to do this but I'm hung on changing the Primary Remote Address. I'm currently at "4" and I can select the field but none of the numeric keys or left/right keys will change the value to "1". The up/down keys of course take me in/out of the PRA field on either the IR or IR/RF remotes. The install tech did everything and the only manual I have is the Quick Start.

How do I change the Primary Remote Address?

Thanks

I'm trying to do this but I'm hung on changing the Primary Remote Address. I'm currently at "4" and I can select the field but none of the numeric keys or left/right keys will change the value to "1". The up/down keys of course take me in/out of the PRA field on either the IR or IR/RF remotes. The install tech did everything and the only manual I have is the Quick Start.

Thanks
Start with the remote control press and hold the sat button until all four lights up release button while the sat button is flashing push 5 and the pound (#) sign. Now with the system info screen displayed on the TV screen press the red record button on the remote, address should change to 5.

Last edited:

Thanks
Hi, to change the primary remote address, you need to be in the system info screen with the primary remote in your hand. Pointing the remote at the receiver, Press and hold down the "SAT" button till all the buttons light up on top. Release the "SAT" button and press the number 1, the "#" button under the number 9. The SAT button will blink three times. Then press the black and red record button one time. Try some functions with the remote and then repeat the process with the additional remotes. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)