Will a VPN for satellite to get local channels?

ucdgrad

Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Texas
My receiver is at my house in Texas, but I am staying long term in California. I want access to the local channels in CA and everything worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. What can I do to have the receiver in TX give off being in CA? If I brought the receiver with me I wouldn't have anything to plug it into here in CA.

Call Dish. Tell them your SERVICE address has moved to California, but your BILLING address has stayed the same.

That being said, depending on whether your California location is in a spot beam, and if that spot beam reaches your house in Texas, you may still be out of luck.

That being said, what do you mean when you said "everything worked fine until 3 weeks ago"? Did you get get CA locals on your receiver? And they just went away?

Reactions: charlesrshell
My receiver is at my house in Texas, but I am staying long term in California. I want access to the local channels in CA and everything worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. What can I do to have the receiver in TX give off being in CA? If I brought the receiver with me I wouldn't have anything to plug it into here in CA.
Are you in the Sacramento area? Several weeks back the Sacramento channels went from Conus to spotbeam. So, if you were receiving your Sacramento channels in Texas before that would be a reason why they went away.

Reactions: pattykay

Will a VPN for satellite to get local channels?​

To address specifically your thread title, the best estimate is to try a vpn (or a few). YMMV.

My vpn experience is hit and miss. Out of market nba league pass? No problem. Out of market locast? No problem. Online wagering (for a friend)? Problem. Out of market NFL? Problem.

Bottom line, there is no definitive answer. Try your desired service across multiple vpn providers. Good luck!! :drunk

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
A VPN will not effect which satellite locals your receiver gets. As said, the Sacramento locals moved from a CONUS beam covering the lower 48 to a spot beam that doesn't reach Texas. There do not appear to be any CA locals that are CONUS beamed now.

Are you in the Sacramento area? Several weeks back the Sacramento channels went from Conus to spotbeam. So, if you were receiving your Sacramento channels in Texas before that would be a reason why they went away.
This must be the reason. Yes things changed within the last month. Is there something like a VPN I can get?

This must be the reason. Yes things changed within the last month. Is there something like a VPN I can get?
No, it’s all spotbeam and VPN doesn’t enter into that. Depending on where you are in California you might be able to access Locast which would give you CA locals on your TV. If your receiver is in Texas today how are you accessing it in CA? DishAnywhere?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)