Will any of the New Mpeg4 receivers

The quality will improve and the price will drop a bit on the cabling once HD becomes more of the norm. With prices this high one could probably consider wireless to distribute the video. Heck if the HD receivers got cheap enough one could place one in each room for the same price or less than what the cabling from the one receiver would cost although the additional outlet fees would add up after a while.

What would be done about dual tuner HD receivers in the future that would replace the
322, 522, etc. if the wiring to the other rooms are so high and unreliable?

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
As far as I know you can't put a HD signal down coax cables or RCA cables.

Are you saying you can't put a Dish HD signal down coax or any HD signal? I have an OTA antenna hooked up to my tv with coax and it works just fine. I get all my digital locals in HD via the antenna.

WakeBdr said:
Are you saying you can't put a Dish HD signal down coax or any HD signal? I have an OTA antenna hooked up to my tv with coax and it works just fine. I get all my digital locals in HD via the antenna.

Yes, and that's an MPEG-2 compressed transport stream at a maximum data rate of just over 19 Mbits/second.

Uncompressed RGB data for HD is a fraction under 1.5 Gigabits/Second for 1080i/60 with 8-bit RGB.

The requirements become a little more stringent when we're talking about these data rates :)

Best,

Yeah best just to wire your house I'm going to be running Cat6 soon to every room in the house.

I imagine that DirecTv does not have MPEG-4 HD dual tuner recievers with two tv outputs like the 322/522 Dish Network receivers.

The 942 is supposed to have two tv outputs. How is that handled with the wiring to the second television?

Stargazer said:
I imagine that DirecTv does not have MPEG-4 HD dual tuner recievers with two tv outputs like the 322/522 Dish Network receivers.

The 942 is supposed to have two tv outputs. How is that handled with the wiring to the second television?

The second TV output is not HD. THerefore it is either coax, composite or s-video to the other TV.

Oh well for dual tuner recievers for MPEG-4 HD receivers with two tv outputs unless they get this figured out wired or wirelessly. They would probably wany as many dual or quad tuner receivers as possible to prevent account stacking.

There CAN be differences between video cables, but a very good cable can be made for low prices. Cable companies love to charge high prices for RGB component cables, when these cables are essentially the same as the old composite video cables. I've seen very good composite cables being sold for $5-$7 each, so a component set would just be three of these.

And I have seen comparisons of a $150 Monster DVI-HDMI cable against a $7 mail-order DVI-HDMI and there were no perceptible differences (as agreed upon by three viewers).

One can always go to Blue Jean Cable to make sure you are getting a well-made cable, even though you can do just as well for less from others. No reason to ever pay more than their prices. They sell a 25' RGB for $91, and a slightly lesser grade for $69. For shorter lengths, the Dayton Audio brand, from Parts Express or now Amazon, is very good. 6' RGB component for $24, 12' for $30, DVI-HDMI 2M for $18, 3M for $22. These are every bit as good as Monster - they have very good shielding, good quality connectors, and are ATC Certified.

WakeBdr said:
They could send 8VSB through a coax. That's the same signal you're getting with OTA digital. There may be a concern that HDTV capture cards in computers could save the bit stream to a hard drive and whether or not that violates copy rights. Personally I doubt it, I think for copy infringement it has to be on removal media and also unencrypted. Meaning people would have to remove the hard drive and capture card and then install on another computer.

Using a DVI repeater box will send HDCP and NON=HDCP digital signals at distances of 150 feet or so but one still needs a solution for sound. HDMI repeater seems to be the onlt other solution but that rather expensive wiring project.

jergenf said:
They could send 8VSB through a coax. That's the same signal you're getting with OTA digital. There may be a concern that HDTV capture cards in computers could save the bit stream to a hard drive and whether or not that violates copy rights. Personally I doubt it, I think for copy infringement it has to be on removal media and also unencrypted. Meaning people would have to remove the hard drive and capture card and then install on another computer.
I was thinking the same but there are a whole heck of a lot of ATSC tunerless HDTV sets out there. They'd almost have to make a available a cheap ATSC tuner STB/box to accomidate these sets and those that want to use the built in tuner for off-air.

Even with all that hassel it's probably the most likely solution.

Shawn

jergenf said:
They could send 8VSB through a coax.
IF the boxes had the appropriate chips, and of course once DBS converts to MPEG-4, they'd have to decode then re-encode the signal - and real-time encoder chips ain't cheap. :cool:

SimpleSimon said:
IF the boxes had the appropriate chips, and of course once DBS converts to MPEG-4, they'd have to decode then re-encode the signal - and real-time encoder chips ain't cheap. :cool:
Yes but they would just have to re-encode it in mpeg2 and modulate to 8VSB. That would be less expensive and all ATSC tuners expect the data stream to be mpeg2. There are many HD camcorders that are doing that (encoding 1080i in mpeg2) before writing it to DVD or DV tape.
In any event I don't see this happening too soon, certainly not in the next generation of sat receivers. But as HDTV becomes more mainstream I imagine that ATSC output would be in demand.

jergenf said:
There are many HD camcorders that are doing that (encoding 1080i in mpeg2)
How much more do they cost than a comparable SD one?

Remember, the optics are the same, the CCDs are only slightly different (bigger), so where's the extra money going? ;)

mdonnelly said:
Good question for the Tech Forum Q&A tonight. "What is the Ethernet port on the VIP211 going to be used for?" Matter of fact, I just sent them an email with that question.

The best you might get out of them is "for future use". If they are smart that's what they will say. Remember the Dish Wire fiasco an the 921? It would be better not to say anything until they actually decided to make the Ethernet port active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)