Will be Going With Dish Soon

Jillian2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
USA
I dropped Directv a couple of years ag and have not had cable or satellite since. Streaming is okay but there is a lot I miss about paid TV. Too I really think those streaming packages and Internet will rise until the cost is less ke paid TV. Anyway I have decided to go with Dish in a month or so. Maybe sooner. Just as soon as the 2018 Vizios come out and I get a 70 inch. Vizio is putting the TV tuner back and also you can stream directly from an app without using a smartphone. A lot of other good changes. Can’t wait to get mine. Here is the link. It is very interesting.

Vizio courts cord cutters, challenges OLED, and adds new HDR options to its 2018 smart TV lineup

I have had Dish many years. I must honestly suggest you go with a single H3 and however many Joeys, of whatever type, that you need. You will thereby avoid most of the problems Dish has introduced in recent software. Especially if you do not use an EHD.

Of course, if FiOS is an option, go with them. They are the high cost option, but they will be cheaper with a triple play.

Sadly, I may be leaving Dish soon, because of their removal of many features from their older Hopper With Sling receivers. You’d best hope they will not do the same with the H3.

I have had Dish many years. I must honestly suggest you go with a single H3 and however many Joeys, of whatever type, that you need. You will thereby avoid most of the problems Dish has introduced in recent software. Especially if you do not use an EHD.

Of course, if FiOS is an option, go with them. They are the high cost option, but they will be cheaper with a triple play.

Sadly, I may be leaving Dish soon, because of their removal of many features from their older Hopper With Sling receivers. You’d best hope they will not do the same with the H3.

Thanks but I don’t plan to use a Hopper. Just a regular HD receiver , as I never record anything. Just one TV connected. The one in the bedroom will be a Roku stick .

Reactions: pattykay
Then what you'd likely get is a Wally.

No , I don’t want a Wally. It’s portable , has Bluetooth and wireless , which I don’t need. It takes a small portable satellite dish and they would have to change out the cables I already have in my house. I just want a standard HD receiver with an HDMI port, composite/component and an Ethernet port just like my H24 I had with Directv. . I’m not into anything fancy. I just want to watch tv and don’t want the bells and whistles. But thank you for that suggestion. Who knows, one day I might want a Wally.

No , I don’t want a Wally. It’s portable , has Bluetooth and wireless , which I don’t need. It takes a small portable satellite dish and they would have to change out the cables I already have in my house. I just want a standard HD receiver with an HDMI port, composite/component and an Ethernet port just like my H24 I had with Directv.

So, you want a Wally - which is what Dish has that has everything you want. There aren't a whole lot of choices anymore. It's down to basically Hopper family or Wallys.

Why do you think they'd have to change out the cables?

Wally is the current base receiver, two tuners, one output, not necessarily portable, that depends on the dish you are connected to.

You hear about Wally's on RV's, that's because if you have a Hopper at home the Wally/211 is the only other receiver allowed on such an account.

Wally replaces the ViP211 series.

So, you want a Wally - which is what Dish has that has everything you want. There aren't a whole lot of choices anymore. It's down to basically Hopper family or Wallys.

Why do you think they'd have to change out the cables?

Because I was going to go with once before and they brought the Wally and a small satellite dish. They told me I could not use my present cable that runs into my house. I would need another cable for this Wally and satellite dish . I did it like the looks of the tiny Wally not the small satellite. I told him no way that I would cancel the installation and I will also do it again if they ring me anything portable. I have no use for the Bluetooth and Wireless. My internet is limited . I just want to turn on my TV and get a picture. If I wanted to stream , then I would not need cable nor satellite.
Wally is the current base receiver, two tuners, one output, not necessarily portable, that depends on the dish you are connected to.

You hear about Wally's on RV's, that's because if you have a Hopper at home the Wally/211 is the only other receiver allowed on such an account.

Wally replaces the ViP211 series.

I don’t like the Wally . I refuse to have a Wally and if that is my only option, which it isn’t , then I will simply go back to Directv

Because I was going to go with once before and they brought the Wally and a small satellite dish. They told me I could not use my present cable that runs into my house. I would need another cable for this Wally and satellite dish . I did it like the looks of the tiny Wally not the small satellite. I told him no way that I would cancel the installation and I will also do it again if they ring me anything portable. I have no use for the Bluetooth and Wireless. My internet is limited . I just want to turn on my TV and get a picture. If I wanted to stream , then I would not need cable nor satellite.

I don’t like the Wally . I refuse to have a Wally and if that is my only option, which it isn’t , then I will simply go back to Directv

You should probably go through a local Dish retailer then. If you go direct to Dish, I think the Wally is the lowest-end receiver they are going to offer you.

A retailer will fix you up with a 211K if that's what you want. The 211K has a component output and the Wally doesn't.

What is the reason you are thinking of using DISH instead of Directv, it sounds like you want Directv in the end. I'm trying to understand your aversion to the Wally to the extent you will just get Directv instead if that is the only receiver. is it you must have a component output to an older tv? If you can get a local dealer to install the older vip211 that might be an option as JSheridan said. All other models in that series are no longer allowed to be installed they have been retired.

You don't have to use any of the features like bluetooth or whatever, you aren't paying anymore for them so that seems like not a reason. If that were the case I wouldn't have half the devices I have, they all have features I will likely never use.
If they told you the cable to the house would need to be changed then it might be with any current receiver they bring, not just because it was a Wally. I'm also not understanding they brought a small dish. Small compared to what? Are you trying to reuse the old Directv equipment? The Wally is meant for a home install as well as in an RV, it isn't really anymore "portable" then other receivers other than it is smaller.

I think she either doesn't understand or isn't explaining it clearly. If DTV ran cable, then that cable is good for a Wally - which has no real cable requirements other than be RG6 - although I have use good RG59 that was pre-run with no problems. Also, there are so many mounting options for the Dish, I dunno, I guess I'm missing something. Like Tampa8 said, there's no reason to use everything on a Wally and no extra charge, just because it's part of the Wally.

You should probably go through a local Dish retailer then. If you go direct to Dish, I think the Wally is the lowest-end receiver they are going to offer you.

I’ll take the Hopper over the Walley. Also talked to Directv and they told me I could still use a regular HD receiver. But I wouldn’t get 4K
What is the reason you are thinking of using DISH instead of Directv, it sounds like you want Directv in the end. I'm trying to understand your aversion to the Wally to the extent you will just get Directv instead if that is the only receiver. is it you must have a component output to an older tv? If you can get a local dealer to install the older vip211 that might be an option as JSheridan said. All other models in that series are no longer allowed to be installed they have been retired.

You don't have to use any of the features like bluetooth or whatever, you aren't paying anymore for them so that seems like not a reason. If that were the case I wouldn't have half the devices I have, they all have features I will likely never use.
If they told you the cable to the house would need to be changed then it might be with any current receiver they bring, not just because it was a Wally. I'm also not understanding they brought a small dish. Small compared to what? Are you trying to reuse the old Directv equipment? The Wally is meant for a home install as well as in an RV, it isn't really anymore "portable" then other receivers other than it is smaller.

No I am getting a Vizio M Series 4K HDR just as soon as the 2018models go on the market There are none yet at Vizio . My reason for wanting to go with Dish is because the America 200 240 channels give me everything I want and is cheaper than a comparable package from Directv.

I’ll take the Hopper over the Walley. Also talked to Directv and they told me I could still use a regular HD receiver. But I wouldn’t get 4K

No I am getting a Vizio M Series 4K HDR just as soon as the 2018models go on the market There are none yet at Vizio . My reason for wanting to go with Dish is because the America 200 240 channels give me everything I want and is cheaper than a comparable package from Directv.
If you are getting a 4K TV soon, yes, go for the Hopper 3. It is the only receiver capable of of 4K as a standalone. Be forewarned that there is not a tremendous amount of 4K available yet but it will come.

Reactions: Jillian2
I have decided that I will take the Hopper . I just hope they can install the satellite using the cable I already have. If they cannot , then that will pose a big problem

Top 200 may be the best package of any provider particularly at the new customer or existing customer discounts.

Reactions: Jillian2
If you are getting a 4K TV soon, yes, go for the Hopper 3. It is the only receiver capable of of 4K as a standalone. Be forewarned that there is not a tremendous amount of 4K available yet but it will come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)