Will dish ever get Bally Sports back ?

With Diamond Sports Group/Bally Sports entering bankruptcy, would they reduce their rates to get carried by providers? Would they agree to an a la carte option?

Would DISH even be open to their return, or has that ship sailed? Lots of questions without concrete answers, I know...but if there was EVER a time they'd have a chance at coming back, it'd be now, IMO - on DISH's terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
With Diamond Sports Group/Bally Sports entering bankruptcy, would they reduce their rates to get carried by providers? Would they agree to an a la carte option?

Would DISH even be open to their return, or has that ship sailed? Lots of questions without concrete answers, I know...but if there as EVER a time they'd have a chance at coming back, it'd be now, IMO - on DISH's terms.
I posted this before, going into Chapter 11, they owe about 1 Billion in Right’s Fees to MLB, 1 Billion in Debt Payments, both due now, 8 Billion more in debt they owe in the future, only have $585 Million in cash.

MLB has already said they will not renegotiate the deals, will pull the teams from the RSNs when they no longer are getting their payments.

This is a Chapter 11 that will turn into a Chapter 7.

Even if there is some miracle and they worked this out, what happens in 2 years when another 12-15 Million are gone from Pay Live TV and they are no longer getting those per sub fees.

RSNs are the first channels to fall in the switchover to streaming.

Last edited:
RSNs are the first channels to fall in the switchover to streaming.
I'd say it's more about gross fiscal irresponsibility. Overbloated revenue from record TV contracts, payrolls and spending rising exponentially, expecting that viewers will continue to foot the bill no matter what. I think I brought this up at least 10 years ago before streaming was even a consideration.

I'd say it's more about gross fiscal irresponsibility. Overbloated revenue from record TV contracts, payrolls and spending rising exponentially, expecting that viewers will continue to foot the bill no matter what. I think I brought this up at least 10 years ago before streaming was even a consideration.
When Sinclair bought them, the cord cutting movement had not really taken off yet, they thought the per sub fees would just keep coming in, hence the overpaying right’s deals.

Also, every provider had the RSNs, since then, Dish/Sling, YTTV, Hulu Live dropped them.

So out of the 68-70 Million that still get Pay Live TV, another 20 Million have services that do not carry the RSNs now.

So out of 129 Million Households in the US, only 50 million pay per sub fees for the RSNs.

Well, I didn't see it posted here. It might be posted elsewhere on the site...

MSG (at least down-state near Fun City), will be rolling out an a-la-carte version of MSG for those without a cable subscription. It will be an over-the-top service. The cost will be $29.99 per month, or $9.99 for one game, if you want to go that way.

The article above also discusses the Bally's a-la-carte option that's on the table. That article is below.

The cost that will be charged needs to account for the payTV subs who don't watch the channel, plus the fact that you can cancel in the off-season...

I think the only way Dish will get the RSN's again is if they're included in a Dish/DTV merger.
It depends. The leagues want the exposure. If the leagues take over production, they could be back in some form. After all, RSNs had virtually no actual programming to begin with. We don't need the RSN, we need the games.

My understanding is the RSN’s just filed for a extension on their bankruptcy. They are looking to expand their view ship but DTV is not looking to renew their contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is the RSN’s just filed for a extension on their bankruptcy.
Yes, asked for a 120 day extension, still has not provided the court a business plan for coming out of bankruptcy and be a profitable company.

In my opinion, I do not believe that is possible.
They are looking to expand their view ship but DTV is not looking to renew their contract
Could be a negotiation thing, but Comcast deal is up this year also, Charter/Spectrum in Feb 2024.

I believe all three smell blood and are going for much better deals, without these three, Ballys/Diamond would just have to shut down, without just one of these providers, they will be back in bankruptcy in just a year because of the per sub fees gone.

Having the RSNs has not slowed down Cord Cutting and it is accelerating.

DirecTV has the vast majority of sports content, yet it has the highest percentage of losses.