Will dish ever get Bally Sports back ?

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
For the record , let me say that we don’t really have any complaints about Dish . Service is fine and haven’t had any equipment issues . I don’t watch much tv and mainly just watch sports . Will Dish ever get Bally Sports back ? They’ve had an ongoing issue with not being able to bring it back . Mostly all of the Pistons , Tigers and Wings games are on Bally . Only Time I can watch the games if it’s on a major network Channel .

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
I have been considering Dish for a little while, but it seems that sports really isn't a high priority for them or a lot of their customers. While Dish seems to have quite a lot of good things going for them, sports isn't one.

It is possible that as a result of their current negotiations with Sinclair, the Bally Sports regional networks are added back, but that is TBD. Doubtful though.

If you have a strong interest in the regional sports networks for the local Detroit teams, DIRECTV or your local cable company is the best option. Bally Sports were dropped by the major streaming options as well, so they have some pretty serious carriage issues.

For the record , let me say that we don’t really have any complaints about Dish . Service is fine and haven’t had any equipment issues . I don’t watch much tv and mainly just watch sports . Will Dish ever get Bally Sports back ? They’ve had an ongoing issue with not being able to bring it back . Mostly all of the Pistons , Tigers and Wings games are on Bally . Only Time I can watch the games if it’s on a major network Channel .

There is a drive in Michigan to get 47 games of each put back on regular television. The reason this went away was that Fox 33 in Traverse City signed on to carry the games but refused to give them time on the air. Also the teams wanted to rent time not allowing the broadcaster to make money on commercials. This is all changed and they are looking at options to set some games on regular TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: worstman1
It’s sad bc we like the hopper but not having the channels to watch the local sports teams is annoying . We’re still under contract with dish so we would have to pay a termination fee.

We do understand how much not being able to watch your favorite sporting events impacts our members, and are continuously evaluating the programming we carry on our service to ensure our members are getting the best value for the content they receive.

DISH continues to remain open that the Regional Sports Networks will work with us to offer their content in a way that provides choice and value to all our subscribers. Until that time, these channels are removed from DISH.

Reactions: charlesrshell
There is a drive in Michigan to get 47 games of each put back on regular television. The reason this went away was that Fox 33 in Traverse City signed on to carry the games but refused to give them time on the air. Also the teams wanted to rent time not allowing the broadcaster to make money on commercials. This is all changed and they are looking at options to set some games on regular TV.

I am old enough to remember watching wings games on channel 50 when I was a kid. Seems like they aired a lot of them if not all.
I remember Stevie Y's first season they wers still aired for free.

Reactions: RONZ
I don't think any Regional sports channels will return to Dish, unless they become Ala Carte option. Large Majority of Dish customers don't watch Regional Sports Channels so why should they pay for them?

I don't think any Regional sports channels will return to Dish, unless they become Ala Carte option. Large Majority of Dish customers don't watch Regional Sports Channels so why should they pay for them?
well if bally sports has an app / steaming only choice for them then dish and others will demand to be able to offer them Ala Carte

Large amount of Dish customers NEVER watch all the religious channels and the alternative reality “news” networks (same things?) so why should we pay of them?

I remember my Dad buying a UHF add on bo:mad:and antenna) for our tv so he could watch the brand new Philly UHF stations(17,29 and 48) that were carrying the local sports.Lots of Big 5 BB games from the Palestra.Back when Nova wasn't the only team in town.

My Dad installed a 60 foot tower in '65 (We lived near the South Jersey pine barrens.) so he could get those three without "snow". As a bonus, we got most of the NYC stations with the rotator pointed northeast and Baltimore DC stations with it pointed southwest. Also two channel 8's (Lancaster and New Haven), a UHF in Allentown and an NBC affiliate in Wildwood. I was the king of TV in my neighborhood!

As someone who lives in Buffalo and who likes hockey and has been without their RSN (MSG) for many, many years on DISH.....you learn to find other ways to watch your home team play. ;)

Of course, when your hometown hockey team is also the worst team in the NHL and the most dysfunctional team in professional sports, you tend to go Meh even with those other ways to watch them on TV.

Large amount of Dish customers NEVER watch all the religious channels and the alternative reality “news” networks (same things?) so why should we pay of them?
Religious Channels don't demand large sums of ca$h for carriage fees if any, because they solicit for donations on their programs.
Not sure what you mean by reality 'news" ???
But most likely they're not demanding huge sums in carriage fees either.

As someone who lives in Buffalo and who likes hockey and has been without their RSN (MSG) for many, many years on DISH.....you learn to find other ways to watch your home team play. ;)

Of course, when your hometown hockey team is also the worst team in the NHL and the most dysfunctional team in professional sports, you tend to go Meh even with those other ways to watch them on TV.
Surely you can't be talking about that Buffalo Sabres NHL Team. Yeah there's always alternative ways to watching live sports games.

Religious Channels don't demand large sums of ca$h for carriage fees if any, because they solicit for donations on their programs.
Not sure what you mean by reality 'news" ???
But most likely they're not demanding huge sums in carriage fees either.
You know, the reds hat networks

Big sports fans and Dish customer for many years (not in contract) living in the Atl. metro area. We currently have Dish on pause ($5/month) and subscribe to Direct TV Stream (was AT&T TV) just to be able to watch the Braves games, as well as it's $50/month cheaper. Dish Hopper has a superior interface, DVR, ability to hop & other features. Now that the Braves playoff games are on non Bally stations, we are considering changing back but the saving is tempting. Also, if Dish is not planning on providing these games we will probably dump Dish and either stay with streaming or change to Direct TV since they do carry the games.