Will Dish force us Welcome Pack subscribers to change packages or drop Dish?

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I see ALL references to Welcome Pack are gone from the Dish site. Will Dish force all us Welcome Pack subscribers to change packages or leave Dish(My Choice). How much longer until they try this crap?
I get my internet from Cox Cable and the internet/cable package is a good deal. I will switch, if Dish forces me too.

Reactions: charlesrshell
And several other discontinued packages. The A holes just moved us to a different package without any choice.

Tell that to those of use who got bumped off HD Absolute!

Did they do that at first or not add anything new? At some later point I seem to remember they could not offer that package due to contracts.
At&t for instance had a great Cell plan for very light users that was grandfathered but eventually they did end it because it relied too heavily on 2G that was no longer widely to be supported.

Two years ago I finally lost my Vonage price that was grandfathered because they finally stopped using the old technology only compatible with older VOIP adaptors anyway. My service was greatly improved using their new system that included call number blocking, apps for the phone and several additions that were not possible with the old technology. Call settings could then be set to how much bandwidth to use greatly increasing call quality. Price went up of course.

Why get worked up over an assumption? I've never understood why people get all worked up over something they think might happen. As Aaron Rodgers once said, R-E-L-A-X. Wait and see what, if anything, actually happens.

Reactions: pattykay
You had a choice to go somewhere else. You chose not to. You are responsible for your choices. Live with it....

One thing to add, is Dish has to make a profit. Years ago, I read Dish needed at least $50 a month from the subscriber to break even. I am sure that figure is higher now. These inexpensive packages do not make money for Dish. But they have to offer them, as that way they can get some subscribers. Also, if you are a subscriber, you may be interested in upgrading down the road to a better package.

Actually, I get Prime video, Netflix, OTA on TiVo and lastly Welcome pack with Dish. So, do I really need Dish, I only watch HGTV, History, and the Hallmark channels. Nothing else.

Actually, I get Prime video, Netflix, OTA on TiVo and lastly Welcome pack with Dish. So, do I really need Dish, I only watch HGTV, History, and the Hallmark channels. Nothing else.
Actually you don’t need DISH at all, you can get all the channels you want on Philo for $20 a month. Why don’t you do yourself, and us, a favor and drop your Welcome Pack and bitch about something else, somewhere else...

• Sad
Reactions: llokey and ChadT41
Why don’t you do yourself, and us, a favor and drop your Welcome Pack and bitch about something else, somewhere else...

I think sometimes people just need to bounce ideas off of others. It can help to solidify your thinking.

Reactions: pattykay
...Will Dish force all us Welcome Pack subscribers to change packages or leave Dish(My Choice)...
I already made that choice after the last price increase for Welcome Pack was announced. I downgraded to International Basic for $15 per month. This is not a stand-alone package, it also requires that you add another International package. However, Dish has a relatively cheap Portuguese offering for only $9.99 per month. So, that makes my total cost for programming only $24.99 per month. This means that instead of raising my bill (like they would have done if I had stayed with Welcome Pack) Dish is now getting less money per month from me. (I do occasionally add Latino Bonus Pack, which is an option that is not even available with Welcome Pack. That additional $10 per month still only brings me up to the non-grandfathered price of Welcome Pack at $34.99 per month, but I get a selection of channels that I like better.)

ChadT41 has mentioned before that the Better Business Bureau page (for complaints about Dish) shows that people have recently been offered a Locals Only package for around $30 per month. So, for Welcome Pack subscribers who only want the locals, this would be cheaper than the non-grandfathered Welcome Pack price, and even slightly cheaper than the grandfathered Welcome Pack price of $30.99 per month. Again, switching packages does not necessarily mean that Dish is going to be getting more money per month from the customer.

Tivo has apps for both Prime and Netflix and many more. Also, my LG Smart TV has buttons on its remote for Prime and Netflix, which offers a much better picture, since it is not going thru TiVo or my AV receiver.