Will DISH replace my cabling?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
G

Original poster
I have had DISH for several years now. When it was first installed, I didnt know any better and let them use the existing RG-59 currently installed in the house.

They are coming out on Friday to install a 6000 and I was wondering if I can make them upgrade all the cabling to RG-6, since Im moving to HDTV?

BTW....I am a DHP customer and apparently DHP customers are not eligible for the $149 6000 promotion. However, I finally got transferred to the "Executive Office" and a very nice lady took my order and scheduled the install. :D

They may do that for you if you want to pay for their time. Your probably not going to get it for free.

But according to DISH's website, the cable from the DISH to the receiver must be RG-6.

StevenD said:
But according to DISH's website, the cable from the DISH to the receiver must be RG-6.

Yes you are correct. Their are many installers out there that will take every shot cut possible. However, if it is not broke (If you have not had any trouble with it) they probably wont fix it. If you have all legacy receivers, you probably wont have alot of trouble with it just because it is rg-59. Your 6000 is a legacy receiver. If they are adding it as an additional receiver, they will run new coax for that.

cable

Dish just installed my 6000 and ran 6 new cables from my dish to the house about 100 feet at no charge.

I also had an installer run new cable for free. When I installed my 721, I had to run another line for it and I didn't know I was supposed to use RG6. A month later I had the second dish installed and the installer replaced the cable for me on his own.

Dennis

Lazy installers will take short cuts. RG-6 swept for frequencies up to 2150MHz is specified. If they use any cable that doesn't go up to 2150MHz DP receivers and legacy adapters will have problems.

Get it installed right. (I did mine myself on good RG-6.)

JL

When they do wiring in the house, how nice a job do they do? (that is, will they hide the wires, or what?)

Sometimes RG-59 will work but it does not work all of the time, especially when switches are involved.

It has nothing to do with the receiver.

I assume you have a legacy Dish 500 LNBF. These work OK with RG-59, most of the time. No reason they won't also work with a 6000.

If you want HBO-HD and/or Showtime-HD, then they need to add a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5 or 148. But they can just use a legacy LNBF on that was well, with a SW21 switch.

DishPro LNBF's use a much higher frequency, and need RG-6.

UPDATE!

DNSC showed up promptly at my house on Friday morning with my 6000U. They ran 4 new RG-6's to my living room for me (one for each receiver, one for my HD antenna, and a spare when for when I get the 921). He was going to run two, and I asked him for 4 and he said, "No problem." He also ran new RG-6 into my bedroom and office where I have older receivers without me even asking.

They also installed a dish on 148 and a new SW-64 so I can get HBO-HD, etc. I'm in Dallas, so I have some locals on 148 that I wasn't getting, so that was "officially" why I got the second dish. I went outside and watched them install the extra dish and I have to say, I was very impressed with how neatly they installed the cables, grounding wires and switch. They also took the time to run the cables through my attic where other cables had already been run, not just on top of the rafters.

I would be happy to have DNSC do work at my house again. :)

StevenD, call yourself lucky because I have heard of and seen unsatisfactory installs that would be the total opposite of what you had just said.

Most generally if i see RG-59 wire I will replace it with RG-6 wire to prevent problems in the future, especially when it comes to having switches and DishPro lnbf's and receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts