Will Hawaii ever get Full HD Lineup

Dennis Brown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Feb 6, 2008
I live on the Big Island and have two Dish HD Dvr's (we have no cable service). We get a limited # of HD channels from the 110 and 118 satellites. Does anyone know if Dish has any plans to expand HD service to the Islands

Thanks and Aloha from the Big Island

I live on the Big Island and have two Dish HD Dvr's (we have no cable service). We get a limited # of HD channels from the 110 and 118 satellites. Does anyone know if Dish has any plans to expand HD service to the Islands

Dennis,

I doubt that Dish has concrete plans at the moment to expand HD service to Hawaii.

Have you heard about Dish's Eastern Arc Plan? This plan involves Dish converting all transponder space at 61.5, 77 and possible a third slot for an ALL MPEG4 service that includes alot of Local HD markets, every SD Core Channel as well as a 100-150 National HD Channels service. This plan will likely phase in over the rest of this year. Now I know you can NOT receive signals from 61.5 in Hawaii so why did I bring it up, well because Dish will not be able to service all of the US with this plan for Local into Local HD.

Its likely that Dish will have a Western Arc Service utilizing 148, and 157. If true then its likely Hawaii will be able to get every single service that is available to Main Land Subs. The likelihood of this is fairly good. Timing is another story, its unlikely this will happen until the end of 2009 at the earliest.

John

When the E-11 satellite is launched to the 110 W location scheduled for this June/July, there maybe more HD for Alaska and Hawaii.

Living on Maui, I felt the same frustration as you do. Today Direct is coming to hook me up with the other service.

I particularly liked Dishnetwork hardware, but the offset for us is about thirty more channels in HD, not counting regional sports, and premium channels that are available in HD.

In Hawaii, Direct requires two dishes which are about 1.2 meters each in odrer to receive all of their programming. Some places take exception to the larger dishes.

Mauiguy,

Let us know how it goes with Direct. I have been thinking about changing but I'm not sure of the recepetion.

I've been with Dish a long time but I'm certainly frustrated with the lack of HD here on the Big Island.

Dune

If I lived in Hawai'i, I'd spend more time outside looking at paradise, not watching TV, even if it was HD.

Mauiguy,

Let us know how it goes with Direct. I have been thinking about changing but I'm not sure of the recepetion.

I've been with Dish a long time but I'm certainly frustrated with the lack of HD here on the Big Island.

I think it would be better if you sent me a private message due to some of the unusual circumstances we are subject to out here. I do not wish to talk Direct tv stuff in the Dish forum.

Our receiver requirements are different than what is needed for the mainland, and the dishes are pretty darned big.

If you cannot send a message via this forum, let me know and i will figure a way to get you my email addy.

MG

I bet the new 129 will have a nice beam aimed at AK and HI to provide the same HD as the lower 48.

Lol No doubt, but coming soon does not quite cut it. Further I have not totally disconnected Dishnet. It can always be upgraded again. Receivers are mine, and all it takes is a call to the CSR.

In the mean time I am watching much more HD this evening than was possible last night...

HD In Hawaii

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, I just brought a new Dish 722 from a retailer recommended from someone on this forum. So switching to another satellite provided would be very costly. Maybe we'll get additional HD channels with the new satellite this summer.

Aloha and Mahalo from the Big Island

If I lived in Hawai'i, I'd spend more time outside looking at paradise, not watching TV, even if it was HD.

Well, if I were only going to visit here, I would agree with you. Given that I have lived here for over twenty years, I have spent many hours watching Paradise.

Keep in mind, though, that we work here too. After a full day of work, we like to come home and sit down with a cold one, and watch a little TV. Preferably HD TV.

Have a great evening . Aloha,

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, I just brought a new Dish 722 from a retailer recommended from someone on this forum. So switching to another satellite provided would be very costly. Maybe we'll get additional HD channels with the new satellite this summer.

Aloha and Mahalo from the Big Island

Given launch delays I wonder if they will be able to get up the new satellite by the end of the year.

I dont even think I would own a tv if I lived on the island, I'd be out enjoying the beach or interior every day that I could.

I dont even think I would own a tv if I lived on the island, I'd be out enjoying the beach or interior every day that I could.

I was thinking the same thing! We need the TV here in the midwest to keep us from being depressed from the snow 9 months out of the year. But you're in freaking Hawaii!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts