Will my old equipment work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CouchGuy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I'm thinking of switching to DirecTV from Dish. I was a DirecTV subscriber many years ago, and I still have some old receivers. I will be getting an HD DVR from DirecTV, but for my second tv, I was wondering if my old receiver would work. I have a Mitsubishi SR-SD1 DirecTV Plus receiver. My questions are:

1. Will it work?
2. Will they install it for me? (I mean, will they run a separate line to the bedroom for me as part of the basic install)
3. Will there be a lease fee (or any other extra fee for having an extra box, even though I own it)?

If anyone knows the answers to any of these, I would be grateful. I thought about calling DirecTV and asking, but I don't think they would be helpful and / or knowledgeable.

Thanks,
CouchGuy

1. Dont cancel dish, be patient.
2. You have to buy the hd-dvr with direct, with dish it's free.
3.Dish has an offer where you can get 6 month of hd free.

DirecTV will charge you $20 for a new access card in that old box even if its the most up to date. You might just want to get a new receiver.

1. see above
2. maybe. Depends on the tech you get
3. yes. There owuld be a 4.99 extra receiver fee

DirecTV also has an offer where you get a discount on the programming for 12 months - it MORE THAN covers for the cost of the HDDVR.

I'm not sure of the reason to want to use your old receiver - since you are only mentioning getting 1 new box (the HDDVR), they will also lease you with no cost upfront up to 3 more new SD IRDS and will install all of them at no charge. The newer IRDS allow you to use all of the interactive stuff on the mix channels, and other new features.

And why should he be patient? - do you know why he is canceling DISH?

Thanks for all the info. I knew if I leased a second box there would be a fee, but I was hoping if I owned the box, I could avoid it. (on the web site when I went through the pricing, they called it a LEASE fee). Basically I want a second box in my bedroom to turn on for twenty minutes each night to help me fall asleep. I was hoping to avoid paying 5.00/month for it. I think I'll still come out ahead.

Thanks again for the help.

Its just a rename of the mirroring fee, we all pay it on the 2nd box and up; owned unit or not, regardless of its release age; or our packages.

To the OP
1: yeah they will work with new access cards, but i would get a new box.
2: shouldnt have a problem here.
3:Yes 4.99 lease fee per box.

To Tim
1: Why is he cancelling? Might be something he doesnt want to be patient about anymore
2:I didnt have to buy the HR-20, so it is possible to get it free with D* also.
3: Yeah thats true, you can get the same or better deal with D* if you ask for it.

E* has some good things going for it, but i fail to see what your point was here.

Change you order and get all the new boxes you need the monthly fees are the same leased or owned. New boxes have all the options and are covered by the lease for repairs. Also new boxes are still installed free no question of the installer doing it. If you want your old box instead of the new box you should be able to replace the new box with the old and you should be able to transfer the access card to the old box.
ORDER ALL THE NEW BOXES NOW WHILE THEY ARE FREE!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)