Will Picture quality improve with 1080P?

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
I have a 720P TV will I see any change from the HD channels today compared to tomorrow? Would the image be clearer since the 1080P image is being forced into a 720P TV?

HD channels are not being upgraded to 1080p at this time. The way I understood it, this is currently only planned for select VOD channels. So no, you shouldn't notice any difference tomorrow on your existing HD channels.

If your tv is less than 50", you wouldn't be able to tell the difference btw 1080p and 720p unless you were about 3 feet from the TV.

i think the question is...

if they can now transmit at 1080p ,have they increased the bandwidth coming into out receivers?

and will we see some of the Hd channels finally looking like HD?

If the camera that made the video was a 1080 and the screen is a 720, OF COURSE the picture will be degraded.

How does a picture produced in 1080 get displayed on a 720 screen? Does it simply throw away every third row? Whatever happens, picture information is lost and definition suffers.

Just for comparison, a picture that was made in 720 and then shown in 480 (i.e., standard definition) would also require throwing out every third row.

i think the question is...

if they can now transmit at 1080p ,have they increased the bandwidth coming into out receivers?

and will we see some of the Hd channels finally looking like HD?

A 1080p24 signal actually takes less bandwidth than a 1080i and it also compress better. So they could decrease bandwidth for the same picture quality. Its not clear if they will actually be sending such out except for VOD.

Here's an article that appeared on CNET discussing this:

The truth about 1080p
In the last couple of years, there has been a big influx of HDTVs with 1080p native resolution, which typically cost a good deal more than their lower-resolution counterparts. But as we've been saying all along, once you get to high-def, the difference between resolutions becomes much more difficult to appreciate. We've done side-by-side tests between two 46-inch LCD HDTVs, one with 1366x768 resolution and the other with 1080p resolution, using the same 1080i source material, and it was extremely difficult for us to see any difference. It becomes even more difficult at smaller screen sizes or farther seating distances--say, more than 1.5 times the diagonal measurement of the screen. We've reviewed a 37-inch 1080p LCD, for example, where it was impossible to see the separation between horizontal lines at farther than 45 inches away.

Here are a few reviews where we compared 1080p displays directly to lower-resolution models:

We're not telling you to ignore 1080p HDTVs. They technically do deliver more detail, which can enhance the viewing experience for more eagle-eyed viewers. Also, many manufacturers build other picture-quality benefits, such as better contrast and/or color, into their 1080p HDTVs simply because those sets are the high-end models. And given the continuing march of technology, we expect more and more 1080p models to become available at lower and lower prices. Today, however, the premium for 1080p is still pretty steep, and unless you're getting a very large set, say 50 inches or more, we don't recommend basing a buying decision on whether or not the television has 1080p native resolution.

A 1080p24 signal actually takes less bandwidth than a 1080i and it also compress better. So they could decrease bandwidth for the same picture quality. Its not clear if they will actually be sending such out except for VOD.

Exactly!

So the question is, since this is strictly a VOD download, will it have higher bit rates that "typical" Dish HD.

I'm curious as to what format it is actually stored on the drive as...1080p24, 1080i60? They could be transmitting nothing different than previous HD movies, but now the 622/722 just will de-interlace back to 24p.

I have a 32" 1080P Toshiba Regza TV. If there was a option to display 1080p I would set it. Right now my 612ViP is set to 780p. I would not set it to 1080i because I get interlace sometimes. Maybe a future software update to the ViP receivers will have a 1080p option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)