will remotes for TV1 and TV2 both work on UHF?

ackbar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
central US
My dad has a 722, one tv in the living room, the other downstairs.

He wants to put the receiver and all the cables on the opposite side of a cement block wall so they're all concealed in the bedroom closet.

My question is,

the remote for downstairs is on UHF, the one for the living room is IR. I'm assuming the one on IR won't work through the wall, so can both locations use UHF?

Yes both remotes can be UHF, but u will need to replace ur IR remote with an UHF remote. On the other hand not for sure if it will go through cement wall.

It works from downstairs so it must be able to go through some of those walls.

One of the remotes says IR/UHF Pro 6.3, does this put out both simultaneously, or do I have to switch something?

Last edited:
Does it have a number 2 on a blue backround at the bottom? If so, tht is the remote for the downstairs TV. What model is the other remote. You may need to get an IR extender which turns the ir into UHF and then back again. Not sure if it will work, but Dish makes an "IR to UHF Pro Upgrade Kit" which has a UHF remote and the IR blaster. Ask one of the DIRT maybe able to clarify if it will work in your scenario.

The one that operates downstairs has a 2 on a blue background at the bottom, the silver one that operates in the living room has 'uhf' on a black key at the bottom.

(I do seem to recall that those things were called keys, we have a whole bag of them somewhere.)

edit: well I just tried it through the wall from the bedroom and it won't work, even though the other one works from downstairs, so we'll have to find some kind of relay station.

edit: so I just tried the one from downstairs in the bedroom and that worked, so I'm doing something wrong with the remote from the living room.

Last edited:
Thanks.

According to that I'd need a #143040 of the 6.3 remote or it won't work for UHF, but I have a #148786.

So, we'll try getting some upgraded remote.

Wow, decorated for Christmas! Pretty! It would be great if I could do up the house with this kind of wallpaper.

But I just realized the remote for TV2 is exactly the same model, #148786, and works with a key that is blue with a 2 on it.

The one upstairs won't work through the wall whether it has the black key that says 'UHF' or the green one that has number 1.

Ventilation,

it's a big closet, not very stuffy, but how much ventilation should it have? (If it were up to me I'd leave it where it is, but it's not).

If people stick them in tv cabinets or entertainment centers, the closet in question is more ventilated than that.

Check in the battery compartment. Some UHF remotes have a tiny switch that reads IR/UHF. If your remote has that switch, change it, and make sure that the correct key is installed.

You have yet to clearly identify what remote/key is "the one upstairs" that is not working for you. There are ways to work around the cement wall problem, but let's make sure we have got the right remote. If you do, another IMPORTANT issue that has not been mentioned. The remote address must match the one downstairs. If you have your 722 manual, go to page 72. Use the procedure to match the addresses. If you don't have it, I'll type the instructions.

Last edited:
Check in the battery compartment. Some UHF remotes have a tiny switch that reads IR/UHF. If your remote has that switch, change it, and make sure that the correct key is installed.

That's the 21.0.

Inside the battery compartment there is a switch, from A to B. Switching it from A to B did nothing.

Looking at System Info tv1 is listed as IR, tv2 is listed as UHF Pro Band A.

The keys we have are:

black with UHF written on it, the other side blue with 2 written on it.

green with 1 written on it in black, the other side green with 1 on it un-colored.

black with UHF written on it, the other side silver with UHF Pro written on it.

Blue with 2 works tv2, while both black sides work tv1.

edit: and just to be more confusing, I've just discovered that one of our other remotes, which I had thought to be identical, is actually the 21.0 with the IR/UHF switch in the battery compartment.

Last edited:
Will that not make it function tv2?

The 21.0 can be for TV1 OR TV2. Just turn the "key" over at the bottom--one side is "1", the other "2". Remove the battery cover before doing this and make sure the switch is set to UHF.

Ed

You'll have to also set the remote address as well of course.

Will that not make it function tv2?
I apparently incorrectly assumed that's what he wanted to do...thinking only one TV would be watched at a time. Well, then set to a different address. Keep key as "1".

Last edited:
I tried, but the only thing I accomplished was to make the remote inoperative. Nothing I did would change the number shown on the screen. I was able to set it back so it works as before.

What I'd like to do is have remotes for both tv1 and tv2 operate on UHF, but not interfering with one another.

We have two UHF remotes. The 21.0, TV1 is set at 5 (key 1), TV2 (the 6.3) like yours is set at 1 (key2). Something you're not doing correctly. Again if you have your manual, see page 72 or other post I linked. Make sure the battery compartment switch is UHF/IR.

EDIT...be at the receiver when you set TV1.

Last edited:
Success!

I did it! Was inadvertently leaving out the last step, 'record'.

Would I be able to get the other remote, the 6.3 IR/UHF Pro, with a switch inside the battery compartment that says A to B, to work as well?

Play DVD on TV-2?

This morning's update 12-24-11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)