Will Shaw HD work in UT.

You should have absolutely no issues receiving any programming (HD or otherwise) from Shaw Direct using a standard 60cm/24inch Dish in Utah however you could always buy a 75cm/30inch dish if you want to ensure an even higher signal level. Bell's signal is weaker than Shaw Directs in Utah so I would suggest going with Shaw Direct for a more dependable signal during poor weather.

And make sure you buy a MPEG4 capable 6XX unit - not a MPEG2 5XX model on clearout right now.

Anyone interested in HD in the lower 48 should forget about Bell completely. They told the CRTC last week that they will meet Canada's post digital OTA rules by adding 22 HD OTA - meaning 5 HD channels/transponder in MPEG2 - a data rate that should be illegal to be advertised as HD. OTOH, Shaw said they would be using MPEG4 with 6 or 7 channels/transponder.

I agree with what all the other posters. another option would be to have two separate generic dishes, one pointed to each satellite, with a multiswitch. the advantage to this (versus shaw standard issue dish) is that if there is a problem with the LNB, getting replacement parts is easier.

Thanks guys, very helpful! I did have Bell for a long time here and after the change in HD satellite - the value just (espeically with a Home Theatre) dropped in value... Iceberg can you, (or others) give me the specific brand details on the Dish you would suggest for best reception in UT? I am back in Alta. Canada in a couple weeks and can get things while I am there or I will get the service setup and just pick up the equipment in the US... Thanks again all!! Very very helpful

(Iceberg - by the way I appreciate all of your excellent work on here!!)...

The one issue with Shaw is when you order service or even go buy a receiver at a big box store the installer brings the dish to install. You can buy extra (or in your case the 1st) receiver with no issues.

The 75e dish I know kusat.com sells and it might be the easiest way to get that size dish. Otherwise as frenchophile mentions you could go with 2 separate 30" or larger dishes. As he noted the advantage of that is you can use any KU Band LNB instead of the Shaw stock LNB which if it fails its a pain to get. I had a LNB fail on me and since I'm not in Canada I ended up scrapping the dish and going with a separate setup

One other item to consider for southern subs close to the border is that the new Ku/Extended Ku LNBF will be required for G1 reception (100 HD channels - coming online late 2012). A 60 or 75 cm SD dish will be required.

Hey Jim how is your neighbours signal strength. I remember reading on here or digitalhome that your neighbour couldn't get line of sight so you were going to use a 75cm dish with in line amplifiers has this solved the low signal strength?

Hey Jim how is your neighbours signal strength. I remember reading on here or digitalhome that your neighbour couldn't get line of sight so you were going to use a 75cm dish with in line amplifiers has this solved the low signal strength?

SZ56,

We are still working on that install but here's the data:

At the Dish prior to cable run install off short 30 foot cable:

On FR1 Channel 299 - ShawDirect Reg - the strength is 72

On F2 Channel 284 - NBC HD - the strength is 94

At the Rear of the Cabin at end of 350 foot of RG6 Quad Shield cable install:

On FR1 Channel 299 - ShawDirect Reg - the strength is 71

On F2 Channel 284 - NBC HD - the strength is 92

After adding 248 feet of RG6 Quad Shield to the above to carry the signal over to the neighbor's house:

On FR1 Channel 299 - ShawDirect Reg - the strength is about 58

On F2 Channel 284 - NBC HD - the strength is 90

The above is with a 60e Dish. We tried an in line amplifier - right after the multiswitch - and another attempt before cable entry into his house - both with no increase on 299 strength. (We did not try 4 amplifiers at the dish as we didn't see much degradation prior to the Multiswitch.)

So the move towards a 75e seems warranted as the most cost effective next move. I've read posts where both Dishes we "professionally algined" side by side and the 75e consistently gave a 10 point increase in signal strength.

So if the signal on Channel 299 is 80 before the multiswitch, hopefully it won't degrade as much going the last 250 feet (and remain above 70).

We are definitely going for the 75e Dish. The next step after that would be a move to RG11 Cables. But it's winter there now (and besides the neighbor says the stations are solid) so the 75e dish will have to wait until spring for me to install it..:eek:

Thanks again guys, one last shot here at Bell EVU...I would rather stay with Bell based on their HDMI connection availabity and just used to it...BUT that said, IS there any chance of getting Bell to work in UT without a 10' dish :) is there something at OneSat that I could look at while there in a couple weeks??

Else Jim/Iceberg your input has been great!

thanks again guys

Thanks again guys, one last shot here at Bell EVU...I would rather stay with Bell based on their HDMI connection availabity and just used to it...BUT that said, IS there any chance of getting Bell to work in UT without a 10' dish :) is there something at OneSat that I could look at while there in a couple weeks??

Else Jim/Iceberg your input has been great!

thanks again guys

gouldke,

Either of Shaw Direct's new 605 (on-PVR) or 630 (PVR) have HDMI as well. (Don't buy the older generation of recievers.) I'm home in Vancouver, but I'd bet the boys at OneSat in Calgary will sell you a complete system with a 75e dish. (I'm not certain I'd talk about UT.) But with a system purchase the dish is free so don't go for the 60e unless smaller is worth the potential compromise in picture quality in adverse conditions.

You can tell them you want to do a self install, or take it camping, or it's for your Cabin. It's really not very hard at all. I can set up a Dish in about half an hour once it's mounted & vertical, and all I use is a compass (but I have the reciever connected to the TV outside near the Dish during set-up and I have the data from dishpointer.com written down.)

If you have a Canadian addressed credit card I'm fairly certain you can set up automatic billing directly to it so you won't need an agent.

-Jim- said:
If you have a Canadian addressed credit card I'm fairly certain you can set up automatic billing directly to it so you won't need an agent.

My Shaw account auto-bills on my American card. No issues for me so far.

most brokers will set you up on auto cc pay to get billed directly from the provider. I had a broker for a couple years and my US based MC was billed each month.
It would show something like this (now its been a few years so memory is foggy)

StarChoioce, Calgary, AB.......................53.00CAD
converted to US currency......................38.00US

(thats when the CAD $$ was like 60 cents on the dollar) :)

The brokers I thought were shady were the ones who you paid THEM then they paid the provider...most likely they had 30 receivers on an account and was charging you full price (and they paid $5 a month)

Did you have a Canadian based address for the install or use an agent?

I use a broker - but I'm set up to bill directly to Shaw. They don't seem to even care what the address on the card is - my CC company issued me a new card last week and I changed it on Shaw's site and all I gave them was the #/Exp - no security code or billing address.

I have no problem with the accounts and Canadian Address and actually have had the Bell Acct. previously so no issues there...It is Great!! news to hear the newer Shaw PVR's etc. do have HDMI! which may change my mind now completely now to go Shaw :) and I will visit the boys at OneSat for sure.

As I was always Bell EVU, I am still interested to know IF there is any chance a larger dish would ever pick-up the HD Satellite in UT? Or is it Just not worth even considering that short and long term due to the changes they are making in the HD formats etc. Your input as always is Very Much appreciated!!

according to the map you're just outside of the footprint so I dont know if a 4 foot dish or even a 6 footer would work
attachment.php

HD Satellite in UT

What HD satellite? - oh I remember - the one that is going to have 22 transponders with 5 channels/transponder in MPEG2 after Aug 2011. They should not be legally allowed to call this HD - it will actually be closer to widescreen SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts