Will switch from Comcast to DN

Kizkulesi

Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
I will switch my garbage Comcast service (Enough with them too expensive and you get nothing ) to DishNetwotk end of September (Waiting bcs I bought the MLB package with Comcast). I have a 4 TV sets 2 HD 2 STD. are they going to use Comcast wiring or they will do rewiring around the house (If they do, how is the job they usually do for that). Should I get 622 receiver paying $200 (I'm not crazy about recording and pausing etc stuff.) is there a difference between picture quality with 622 receiver or free HD receiver they provide if I don't choose to get 622. Please advice me what to look for anything I should have or not to have.
:mad: :mad: :(

During my installation I told the guy I was planning on keeping cable, so he had to run new wiring. I think by default they use the existing wiring. My previous cable company was Charter and boy was I thrilled to return them their box. I had a HD DVR filled half way up with shows I wanted to watch but never found the time. It was nice to tune in and pause a show and then catch up 10 minutes later, but $200 for that privilege was too steep for me. Plus they don't offer my HD locals, maybe if they did I'd consider it.
I know with my installation I wanted to get 2 SD dvr's that could hook up to four tvs, 1 hd, and 1 old skool sd receiver. The dude told me it was a four room installation, and I later found out they will only do one wall entry for free. So, be sure to find the one that will be the biggest pain to run and get them to do that.

I just called DN and found out that when they install dish they run wires outside the house unless I want a use already wired Comcast wiring, I don't want a do that bcs maybe keeping internet part of the comcast. Sound like it is going to be ugly too many wires around the house (4 rooms set up) between upstairs rooms and downstairs. What other solution I can have here and which dish they put new 1 dish for all or 2 dishes.

Make sure you calculate everything twice or you may find yourself paying more for Dish because of hiden additional fees you may be required to pay. In addition, most of the extra channels you may get are garbage.

Before you make the switch make sure you check out everything. With Dish they charge you for everything. My bill was supposed to be around $90.00 a month and ended up being $130.00 because of additional boxes and dvr charges. Went back to cable in February and told dish to send me boxes for equipment. Did not get boxes until last week and sent them out promptly. They got receivers and the next day charged my checking account $251.00. Argued all day with Dish because they wrongly charged the account and did not have all the funds in there so I got charged an additional $25.00. Dish new the boxes were back but still charged my account. Customer service is very bad and finally after talking to 3 supposed supervisors are going to credit the $251.00 but not the $25.00. This is after last year buying their 921 receiver for $500 and now knowing it is obsolete to watch all the new hd. Soon I am sure the new receivers will be obsolete and you will have to fork over more dough to get the latest programming. Think I mean really think before you switch.

I'm sorry to hear that, that is scary a little bit. We ll I checked and like you said around $90 after promotion is over. I just had it with comcast, lousy HD package if you can call that a PACKAGE, only handful channels and I have no premium channels HBO, Cinemax etc. still runs around $90 plus internet tax this and that $150.00 a month. Insane.....How do you compare pictures and all the channels between two companies.

I had 2 cable boxes with Insight, plus broadband. When I bought the HD tv and the surround sound setup I chacked with Insight to get the HD cable box... I subscribed to everything (just as I do with E* today). To add another HD box would have run my monthly bill to over $200.00 a month...

Got rid of Insight and went with E*. I have 2 DVR's both running 3 tvs, 2 211/411 boxes each connected to their own tv. I have more HD channels than Insight could ever have. Two months ago Insight had a big messup in the BB service and I decide to get rid of that also... Insight is totally disconnected, literally, they went up the pole and pulled the connection to the house.

Right now I have Bellsouth DSL 6 and E*. Total monthly for both is less than $180.00 a month. I figure I have more with E* and could never be able to separatly control 5 tv's for this cost with cable. I consider it a savings.

Your mileage will vary...

Kizkulesi said:
I'm sorry to hear that, that is scary a little bit. We ll I checked and like you said around $90 after promotion is over. I just had it with comcast, lousy HD package if you can call that a PACKAGE, only handful channels and I have no premium channels HBO, Cinemax etc. still runs around $90 plus internet tax this and that $150.00 a month. Insane.....How do you compare pictures and all the channels between two companies.

Don't forget to calculate the cost for locals, lease fee, not having the receivers plugged in phone fee (if applicable), and additional receiver fee.

I’m not sure if the prices for those fees are listed on Dish’s website.

I have Insight cable and found it is much easier to have all tv's hooked up because they do not need a box. Dish charges you for every box and also a premium to run the dvr function. I bought a 921 dvr box for $500 and is now not any good to view mpeg 4. I was told to pay $200 and give my $500 box in trade and we will call your new box a lease.(huh?) Are you kidding me. Anyone who would do this has more money than brains. I do not mean to insult anyone but what next Dish will offer you to lease your own tv. I used to be very loyal to Dish but their sale tactics and hidden charges make me turn away. Hd is much sharper on Insight. Like my beer regular not lite that is hd lite.

chipvee said:
I have Insight cable and found it is much easier to have all tv's hooked up because they do not need a box. Dish charges you for every box and also a premium to run the dvr function. I bought a 921 dvr box for $500 and is now not any good to view mpeg 4. I was told to pay $200 and give my $500 box in trade and we will call your new box a lease.(huh?) Are you kidding me. Anyone who would do this has more money than brains. I do not mean to insult anyone but what next Dish will offer you to lease your own tv. I used to be very loyal to Dish but their sale tactics and hidden charges make me turn away. Hd is much sharper on Insight. Like my beer regular not lite that is hd lite.

I guess I have more money than brains... I started out with 3 - 311's and a 811. 942 came out and I paid full retail for it. Traded out the 811. 622 came out did a DIU and trade in a 311(leasing it now...). Purchased a 411 from dishstore.net. Then did another DIU on the 211.

If you have no Insight boxes you are watching HD LOCALS... Since I don't know where you are located - here is the line-up for Louisville using a QAM receiver.
http://www.louisvillehdtv.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110

Beer of choice - MGD. Not hd-lite....:cool:

chipvee said:
Before you make the switch make sure you check out everything. With Dish they charge you for everything. My bill was supposed to be around $90.00 a month and ended up being $130.00 because of additional boxes and dvr charges. Went back to cable in February and told dish to send me boxes for equipment. Did not get boxes until last week and sent them out promptly. They got receivers and the next day charged my checking account $251.00. Argued all day with Dish because they wrongly charged the account and did not have all the funds in there so I got charged an additional $25.00. Dish new the boxes were back but still charged my account. Customer service is very bad and finally after talking to 3 supposed supervisors are going to credit the $251.00 but not the $25.00. This is after last year buying their 921 receiver for $500 and now knowing it is obsolete to watch all the new hd. Soon I am sure the new receivers will be obsolete and you will have to fork over more dough to get the latest programming. Think I mean really think before you switch.

I'd say there is nothing to think about, Dish is so much better than Comcast. So is DirecTV and FIOS tv. So it ota for that matter.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts