Will tech use my new RG6 cables when installing the Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PokerMunkee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Woodland Park, CO
My current setup has the coax going around the outside of my house, which looks horrible.

I ran new RG6 Double Shield (Swept to 3GHz is printed on cable) throughout my house this last week. Runs are no more than 50ft to my utility room.

When I order the Hopper/2 Joeys next month, I need the tech to use my new RG6 cables. I also need him to run a new cable from the dish to my distribution panel. I will let him use his own cable for this run. Will have they give me a problem using my new cables? I will not have them mount any cables on the outside of my house. Some of the runs are easy to run new cables, but some are impossible without ripping up floors and sheetrock (did this during a remodel).

Also, will a tech be willing to crimp my new runs on both ends even if I don't have a Joey installed in that room? I'll be tipping around $40, so hopefully that would be reasonable. Wouldn't think it would take much time and cost of materials?

Here is my "distribution panel":

board.jpg

You say crimp but I assume compression fittings are OK with you.

I see Ethernet and phone, I assume you mean you have left space for Coax Junction.

I think your installer will love this job.

Based on the conversation I had with my Hopper/Joey installers, they should use your new cable without a problem; just make sure that all of your connectors (straight barrels, wall plates and right angles) are also rated to 3Ghz. Ideal is making them (just read the packaging), but they may be hard to find. Only one of the Home Depots in my area is currently carrying them.

OK, great.....that eases my mind.

Should be plenty of room for the coax junction (node?).

Need to start researching if splitting a Joey with HDMI and running it over the Cat5 to my SDTV will work. I have a DLP HDTV and an old tube SDTV in the basement. I want to use one Joey downstairs, have it feed HD to my DLP and SD Tto the old tv.

Should be fine. My installer used a lot of my old cables and put ends on all my new cabling as well. You should have plenty of room for your node. As far as splitting HDMI for your SD TV, you could always get an RF modulator and run that from the composite (red, white, yellow) outputs on the Joey over coax to your SD TV. Should be MUCH cheaper than an HDMI splitter and a HDMI to Cat5 converter.

Last edited:
He may a little bummed about having to run new cable from the dish. If he's just doing a receiver upgrade for you he's not getting paid to run new cables. He'll certainly love using your home runs though. The $40 should be convincing. I'd run you a new cable and put compression fitting on all your jacks for $40.

Had mine done yesterday. He ran a few new cables, new dish in a new location, put a few compression firings on where needed on my old wiring. This was an upgrade and he was great.

I have a new install tomorrow, house has RG6 (no clue if it's 3g, 4 years old). I was going to drop the dish to junction cables since my attic is very tight, but all I found at Home Depot was 3g with copper coated steel center. Is that good enough, or should I just let the installer run these (I have a pull rope run). Just not sure where he'll mount the dish, so I didn't want to do "too much".

I have a new install tomorrow, house has RG6 (no clue if it's 3g, 4 years old). I was going to drop the dish to junction cables since my attic is very tight, but all I found at Home Depot was 3g with copper coated steel center. Is that good enough, or should I just let the installer run these (I have a pull rope run). Just not sure where he'll mount the dish, so I didn't want to do "too much".
some techs can be pickier than others. Check the jacket on the cable you already have installed to see if has any markings to identify it.

It's usually just the hopper line that needs to be 3Ghz rated RG6. The joeys can use RG59 in most situations. The cables from the dish to the node only need to be rated to 2.15Ghz.

pretty well covered in the wiring diagrams http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/279755-hopper-joey-wiring-diagrams.html

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)