Will the 811 do IR instead of RF?

skyfreedom

Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I just bought a universal remote (MX850) and I wanted to control my 811 with it but I cannot. Can the 811 do IF?

You shouldn't have to (or should i say can't) switch between RF & IR on your 811. It works with either of them simultaneously. I use the 811 RF remote when i am downstairs with my 811 and also my media center IR remote upstairs in my ofice (with IR blaster).

I think the problem you will run into is that the 811 remote is an RF remote only in SAT mode. In order for me to get my IR blaster to work, I had to use my Dish Network platinum remote (for my 508 DVR) which works in RF & IR mode while in the SAT setting. This allowed me to program my media center remote with IR commands (it had to learn them i.e.-hold down the appropriate number on the remote for 'X' seconds and repeat).

Basically, i had to change the remote address on my 811 so it matched up with my 508 remote. Then i could program my IR blaster to control my 811. Once i was done, i switched the remote address back the way it ws. Hope this helps.

Sweet, I didn't know you can do that... I have a Philips Pronto that I never use because I alway had to have my Dish remote, I guess I'll have to dust it off and program it with IR. Thanks!!!

An IR blaster is a way for one external device (like a tivo box) to control/change channels of another IR device (like a standard dish network receiver). In this case, the IR blaster would be plugged into the tivo box and on the other end is a IR emitter which you would have to tape over the IR receiver on your satellite receiver.

In my case, i can control my 811 with my VAIO desktop PC remote control from upstairs (as i watch tv and record from my 811 onto my media center PC). i have about a 40 foot cable going from my pc to the ir blaster mounted to the front of the 811.

msnyder said:
Sweet, I didn't know you can do that... I have a Philips Pronto that I never use because I alway had to have my Dish remote, I guess I'll have to dust it off and program it with IR. Thanks!!!
I have a Pronto 3000NG and it works find with my 811. However, the 811 remote is not RF so you cannot program your Pronto using the 811 remote. I believe there are codes for it on Remote Central. The 811 does have a way to program a remote from the 811 itself. never done it before, but it does have this feature.

I have an MX-700 and used an old 6000 remote to learn the 811 commands. I could generate MXD's for address remote addresses 11 and 14 if you cannot get your 850 programmed.

Sucess...

I finally got my MX850 programmed to controll my 811. After going into the "Teach Remote" function in the diagnostics menu, in receiver, I was able to press a key on my 811 remote and the receiver sent the IR code to my mx850. I had to place the remote to the right of of the receiver and about 1 inch away, it worked.
Thanks everyone...

WeeJavaDude said:
I have a Pronto 3000NG and it works find with my 811. However, the 811 remote is not RF so you cannot program your Pronto using the 811 remote. I believe there are codes for it on Remote Central. The 811 does have a way to program a remote from the 811 itself. never done it before, but it does have this feature.

I'v got the same model. Can you send me your config files for the 811?

msnyder said:
I'v got the same model. Can you send me your config files for the 811?
I can try. ;) PM me your email address and I will email you my config files. I used some from Remote Central to start with. It should give you a good starting point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)