Will the new carbon interface allow sharing PTAT with 2 hopper with sling units

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
The rumor is that Dish is planning to force the new interface on all hopper units in September.

I own 2 hopper with sling units and a Joey 2.

I have read that the new carbon interface does not allow PTAT to be shared among the units. Is that still the case?

If they do not share PTAT that is even a worse flaw than Dish stupidly removing 4x fast forward.

One can only hope that Dish realizes their big mistake.

Reactions: Troch77
Yes. I did on one, had the issue of comparability so I updated the second one. With the old UI I only had PTAT enabled on one but with the hiccups on not being able to share I enabled it on both. Currently I can share both PTATs with each other, but haven't tried turning PTAT off on one to confirm sharing still works.

Yes. I did on one, had the issue of comparability so I updated the second one. With the old UI I only had PTAT enabled on one but with the hiccups on not being able to share I enabled it on both. Currently I can share both PTATs with each other, but haven't tried turning PTAT off on one to confirm sharing still works.
PTA sharing means having only 1 Hopper using PTA and both units being able to access the content from the either Hopper.

If you have both units PTA enabled, that isn't Sharing!

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The rumor is that Dish is planning to force the new interface on all hopper units in September.

I own 2 hopper with sling units and a Joey 2.

I have read that the new carbon interface does not allow PTAT to be shared among the units. Is that still the case?

If they do not share PTAT that is even a worse flaw than Dish stupidly removing 4x fast forward.

One can only hope that Dish realizes their big mistake.
One can only hope.
We haven't used PTA since January
Because of this.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Understand. I am able to view Hopper A's PTAT Recordings on Hopper B, and vice versa now
Thats because you have both PTA active on both receivers.
Turn one off, and your Hopper thats off will have no more PTA even when you try and view it on the Other Hopper.

Thats PTA sharing ...

You are Just duplicating the recordings currently with having both active.

So I'm very sceptical over your claim.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I manage the 2 PTAT folders differently (have deleted most of the recrordings off one hopper, left the default recordings on the other), and am able to see the differences between them from one hopper by looking at the other hopper's recordings.

As I have said, I have not turned it off on one hopper to see if I'm still able to view the 2 different sets of folders. But I'll try tonight and report in the next day or so.

So as soon as I turned off PTAT on one of my Hoppers, the ability to share the folder stopped, as Troch77 suspected!

But it got me thinking... I turned PTAT back on, de-selected as much of the recordings as possible (record 1 station, 1 day a week) and I can see the 2 different Hopper's PTAT recordings.

I manage the 2 PTAT folders differently (have deleted most of the recrordings off one hopper, left the default recordings on the other), and am able to see the differences between them from one hopper by looking at the other hopper's recordings.

As I have said, I have not turned it off on one hopper to see if I'm still able to view the 2 different sets of folders. But I'll try tonight and report in the next day or so.
What you're missing is,

With the old UI software you only needed to activate PTA on 1 Hopper.
And your entire system including other Hoppers could view the content.
The Carbon UI can't do this.

The benefits of this is really simple.
1 tuner tied up for 3 hours.
Not 1 from each Hopper on your system.

With the Old UI, you wouldn't need to setup 2 different PTA schedules from Hopper to Hopper.
You could just schedule one hopper and be done.

Again the Carbon UI doesn't support this.

Also keep in mind, If you disable your PTA, you are Going to Lose all those PTA recordings.
So you may want to watch them first.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

What you're missing is,

With the old UI software you only needed to activate PTA on 1 Hopper.
And your entire system including other Hoppers could view the content.
The Carbon UI can't do this.

The benefits of this is really simple.
1 tuner tied up for 3 hours.
Not 1 from each Hopper on your system.

With the Old UI, you wouldn't need to setup 2 different PTA schedules from Hopper to Hopper.
You could just schedule one hopper and be done.

Again the Carbon UI doesn't support this.

Also keep in mind, If you disable your PTA, you are Going to Lose all those PTA recordings.
So you may want to watch them first.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
You are right. It doesn't work like on the old UI.

Just hang tight...someone will be along shortly to tell you they don't use that feature or see any importance in having it; therefore, said feature should have never existed in the first place. ;)
I personally don't care for it. Its nice, But my wife is the main one who likes it.
And having to tie up 2 Tuners for it, isn't any fun anymore for anyone in the house but her.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

How come two timers?
Because its the only way you can do PTA with the New UI.

Every Hopper has to have PTA enabled.
Thats what I've been saying.

Yours with the old UI, you only have to enable PTA on one of your Hoppers, and the other Hoppers can view all the recorded content from it.

The Carbon UI doesn't allow that.
If you go to PTA it just shows you don't have it enabled, even if you select the Hopper that has it enabled on.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: charlesrshell
I personally don't care for it. Its nice, But my wife is the main one who likes it.
And having to tie up 2 Tuners for it, isn't any fun anymore for anyone in the house but her.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

If you have 6 days on one and one day on the other, how are you tying up two tuners? You are also assuming that the rollout will not be an improvement from the Beta version.

And, yes get a Hopper3. :biggrin

Because its the only way you can do PTA with the New UI.

Every Hopper has to have PTA enabled.
Thats what I've been saying.

Yours with the old UI, you only have to enable PTA on one of your Hoppers, and the other Hoppers can view all the recorded content from it.

The Carbon UI doesn't allow that.
If you go to PTA it just shows you don't have it enabled, even if you select the Hopper that has it enabled on.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
OK, understand. I have the PTA enabled on all three of my HWSs, so should be OK when the new CUI hits them.

Reactions: Troch77
OK, understand. I have the PTA enabled on all three of my HWSs, so should be OK when the new CUI hits them.
I have Joeys, and one Hopper does both Joeys, and the other Hopper was setup for PTA.
Then no issues.

Now as Pat suggest I do is set the 2nd hopper to do only 1 day, well that now Takes that tuner, and now both Joeys fill every available tuner spot, leaving the master bedroom to watch PTA, Recordings, ot what the joeys are tuned to.

The old UI was the best method.
And I want to see someone show me with both Hoppers with PTA active showing that they are actually playing back the recording from one hopper to the other.

I think you just think you are, but infact its still coming off the device you are sitting in front of.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)