Will the Pats really have a home field advantage this year?

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
I was wondering this on Sunday night when they only called one running play the entire first half.

Can a team that passes 54 times a game really win in a snowstorm? The Colts lost games up there because their offense completely locked up in bad weather - back when they were a passing team with a questionable run game and questionable defense - who does that sound like now?

I'm not so sure the Steelers, Colts or even the Jags wouldn't actually benefit from playing New England up there this year.... just a thought.

I kinda feel the Pats were passing as a result of defying the Eagles' defensive game plan. They wanted to pressure Brady and take Moss out of the equation. That would generally mean rushing the ball more to keep the defense honest. They have good back in Maroney and even their FBs, so I think they'll get it done whether it is the rain or snow at home. It's just like their attitude toward the game will plow the snow out of the way for them or something.

/shrug, we'll see. I'd like to see them go undefeated if only so we stop hearing about the 72 Dolphins (as much).

- A Chiefs Fan

I was wondering this on Sunday night when they only called one running play the entire first half.

Can a team that passes 54 times a game really win in a snowstorm? The Colts lost games up there because their offense completely locked up in bad weather - back when they were a passing team with a questionable run game and questionable defense - who does that sound like now?

I'm not so sure the Steelers, Colts or even the Jags wouldn't actually benefit from playing New England up there this year.... just a thought.
As a Colts fan here in New England that's what I've telling my Patriot fan friends. I don't think they like to hear it but there is has been a role reversal. Don't get me wrong I still think the Pats are the best team, maybe ever, but the Colts if they can get healthy they may be better served to play a run/pass control game and solid defense.

I kinda feel the Pats were passing as a result of defying the Eagles' defensive game plan. They wanted to pressure Brady and take Moss out of the equation. That would generally mean rushing the ball more to keep the defense honest. They have good back in Maroney and even their FBs, so I think they'll get it done whether it is the rain or snow at home. It's just like their attitude toward the game will plow the snow out of the way for them or something.

/shrug, we'll see. I'd like to see them go undefeated if only so we stop hearing about the 72 Dolphins (as much).

- A Chiefs Fan

You could be right... we'll see. But, if they are forced to run the ball more I think it brings them back to earth a little.

One thing you got right, though - I'm sure they will plow the snow (literally) off the field, as much as they need to. I don't think they would have in the past...

I agree that if the game was played in a snow storm that there are stronger running teams out there.

However when you look at the Colts the have a lot of Dome players. Freeney and Harrison are Dome guys even back in college. Addai played at LSU, Wayne Miami, warm weather guys who ended up in a dome.

The Pats play here year round which is a little different from just showing up here. They live in this weather, they will be used to it.

I do wish the run game was more balanced. Losing Morris was big. He seemed to fit the Pats offense better than Maroney.

I agree that if the game was played in a snow storm that there are stronger running teams out there.

However when you look at the Colts the have a lot of Dome players. Freeney and Harrison are Dome guys even back in college. Addai played at LSU, Wayne Miami, warm weather guys who ended up in a dome.

The Pats play here year round which is a little different from just showing up here. They live in this weather, they will be used to it.

I do wish the run game was more balanced. Losing Morris was big. He seemed to fit the Pats offense better than Maroney.

You do have a point about the cold, although it wouldn't affect a team like the Steelers (although I'm not sure they are on the same level anyway). I think the Colts are, generally speaking, better suited for bad weather, but the cold will have an impact for sure.

That is an interesting thought but the Pats have a running game when their backs are healthy.

The only way SNOW would affect the game would be if there is a snow storm DURING the game. All the fields are pretty much cleared entirely if the snow is not happening right before the game..
That said, look for a BLIZZARD in Pittsburgh for a playoffs game, they have played 2 games this year in miserable weather, ironically both on Monday night.

Weather will not affect the Pats, they have a good running game to go along with Brady's passing game. Moroney is a very reliable back, waiting to become a star.

The Colts now have a running game with Addi, but they will not win a game running only.

Bugger game is tonights Pack / Cowboy's game, for potential Home field adv., I don't like the Cowboy's chances going to GB in January .. the other way around would not bother GB at all.

Jimbo

The Colts now have a running game with Addi, but they will not win a game running only.

I think this is the point I'm trying to make about the Pats. I'm not saying they can't run the ball - I'm just saying that if they can't fling it all around the field in the passing game it brings them back to earth a little and somewhat levels the playing field. They're not scoring 50, 60, 70 points a game running the ball, and I think that if they played in a dome in the playoffs they would be much more likely to blow a team out, including the Colts.

Maybe they are passing the ball all year and NEVER running it so that come playoff time no one has any game film on their running formations/plays. Then in the playoffs, they just unleash Maroney. Would be another genius belicheck strategy.

I think this is the point I'm trying to make about the Pats. I'm not saying they can't run the ball - I'm just saying that if they can't fling it all around the field in the passing game it brings them back to earth a little and somewhat levels the playing field. They're not scoring 50, 60, 70 points a game running the ball, and I think that if they played in a dome in the playoffs they would be much more likely to blow a team out, including the Colts.

What was that I was saying? ;)

As I write this, it's 24-20 Ravens, and the Pats are getting totally dominated at the line of scrimmage. Run the ball, stop the run - that's how you win in the playoffs, right? They're not doing either one right now.

They may still win this game, but if they can look this bad against the Ravens just because of some wind, it doesn't bode well for their Arctic home field in the playoffs.

What was that I was saying? ;)

As I write this, it's 24-20 Ravens, and the Pats are getting totally dominated at the line of scrimmage. Run the ball, stop the run - that's how you win in the playoffs, right? They're not doing either one right now.

They may still win this game, but if they can look this bad against the Ravens just because of some wind, it doesn't bode well for their Arctic home field in the playoffs.

12-0

The announcer keeps saying everytime a pass was dropped by the Patriots , that the wind was the cause for it BULL...
It seemed that Baltimore did not have to play in the same wind .... ???

The Pats of ALL teams should not use that as an excuse after playing in the weather the play in normally.
Not saying that the Pats used that , but the announcers definatly did.

Next week should be an interesting game, lets hope the game is called equally so no one has the officials to blame when the game is over, and they are not BOTH blaming them either.

PS. If it's NOT raining in NE. the Steelers won't know how to play, every game this month has been in garbage weather ... to thier credit, they've won them.

Jimbo

unbelievable (35 yards in penalty & I think ray lewis may actually kill someone after that game:mad:), pats were handed that game , thats alright cause it will be 12-1 next week when they get on there knees for the Pittsburgh steelers.
The Pats will have home field advantage because apparently the refs are employed by Mr Kraft. Ive seen that last bogus TD catch called incomplete on TO.

Whew......... Still undefeated. :)

Should be interesting next week. Pittsburgh is a better version of what Baltimore does. I'm still not sure they can beat the Pats, but if they don't, I don't think anyone will. Surely not the Jets or Dolphins, and I'm backing off my earlier thoughts that the Giants had a chance, based on their recent play....

If nothing else, them being undefeated will make the AFC Championship game that much more interesting.....

unbelievable (35 yards in penalty & I think ray lewis may actually kill someone after that game:mad:), pats were handed that game , thats alright cause it will be 12-1 next week when they get on there knees for the Pittsburgh steelers.

Why because the steelers have looked so great the last 3 weeks?

The Curse of #2

The "Just Shut Up" Award

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts