Will this work? Dish on DirectTV Equipment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
My family has a house down on the coast and a few years ago my dad had DirectTV installed down there. There is a single LNB dish pointed at 101.

If I replaced the single LNB dish with http://dishdepot.com/Cart/description.php?II=492667&UID=20040107071128192.31.106.34 would I be able to take my Dish receivers down there and use them?

Im down there for several days at a time and I sure do miss having DVR and my Dallas channels. Of course I guess I could give my dad a ClubDish card and get all new hardware down there.

Thanks.

I will have to look at it again, but I think there are 2 cables going from the dish to a switch, then out to the 3 receivers.

There are two cables coming out of the dish, but I have 3 receivers connected, so there must be a switch somewhere.

But, I dont know anything about D*, so i may just be talking out of my @$$.

The simplist thing to do would be to do a change over to DISH. It is possible to do what you want to do, but it is going to be a BIG Hassle, since you cannot run any more wire. The problem is that the DirecTV multisat multidish switch works on a 22 Khz tone, where the DISH equipment uses one of two propriatary technologies, neither which are compatable with the DirecTV switch. You would need to have an older style triple sat Directv dish (one with 3 seperate LNBF's, with no internal multiswitch). The 110 LNBF needs to be a normal LNBF, not the special
110 LNBF that DirecTV requires. You will run the two legs of the 101 LNBF just like it already is, and run one leg of the 110 and 119 LNBF to an SW21, and run that cable to your DISH receiver. If you are running a DishPRO receiver, you will have to re run the check switch routine, to allow the receiver to see the legacy hardware. But you will have to run another cable from the SW21 to your DISH box, I can see no other way to do it.

The question no one has asked is are you located within the spot beam for the Dallas locals? If you aren't in the beam you might as well enjoy the Directv system your father already has. You can add a DirecTiVo for $99 to his system and you will have really good DVR capabilities.

Yes, the Dallas locals spotbeam seems to cover most of east Texas...including the Gulf coast.

Maybe I should just have Dish installed down there. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)