windowbox, letterbox, pillarbox

chadahren

Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
OK guys,

I am starting to settle into my 811 and originally thought that my Samsung 27" 4x3 would only support 480i but the manual says 480 or 1080. In 480 some channels look like they are intended for 16x9 and the images are, um, squooshed and look stretched vertically. I set the 811 to 1080i and some channels - like ESPNHD - are letterboxed and no longer look stretched, but other channels that looked fine now appear in a smaller window, which I imagine is the meaning of "windowboxed." How can I modify this to take advantage of more of my TV's viewable area? A 27" screen is small enough. Any thoughts?

thanks,

chad

That still doesn't do it.

For an 811 with a 4:3 screen you need to hook it up as follows:

I am assuming your TV is HD ready and the 811 is your HD box. To see an HD signal you must run component OR DVI from the back of the 811 to your TV. Making only this connection will result in bars on all 4 sides of regular SD programming.

To get around that, hook up your TV with an S-Video cable from your 811.

Switch back and forth between inputs for SD & HD on your TV and you'll be set.

The Zoom feature doesn't fix the problem you are having.

You must hook up your TV 2 separate ways PERIOD.

This is an 811 issue, not a 6000 issue.

Although I have never owned a 6000 so can't speak with any knowledge there. However I do have two 811's, one on a 16:9 and one on a 4:3 so I have pretty good knowledge there as I have tried everything under the sun.

The 811 NEEDS to be hooked up two separate ways on a 4:3 HD TV to look correct, simply switching between inputs.

peid said:
This is an 811 issue, not a 6000 issue.

Although I have never owned a 6000 so can't speak with any knowledge there. However I do have two 811's, one on a 16:9 and one on a 4:3 so I have pretty good knowledge there as I have tried everything under the sun.

The 811 NEEDS to be hooked up two separate ways on a 4:3 HD TV to look correct, simply switching between inputs.
If this is the case, thank god I skipped the 811 and got the 921...(have not tried it with the 4:3 set yet)

I do believe it works the same as the 811.

Interesting to see though, although even if it does, you shouldn't have the headaches I did since you now know about it! :D

peid said:
I do believe it works the same as the 811.

Interesting to see though, although even if it does, you shouldn't have the headaches I did since you now know about it! :D
It will be awhile before I can try that... Camper too far from dish...Although I could set up my legecy Dish 500 I use for camping and try , but not today its raining :) If I played whats on it I think it would be in safe mode which is not 1080i...no espn recorded either only cbs nfl playoffs...

The DISH HD receivers on a 4:3 set work like this:
4x3 setting #1 is for sets that "SQUEEZE" a 1080i signal to get a 'letterboxed' image. Most but not all of 4x3 HD ready sets.
ALL HD channels will of course be letterboxed.
ALL SD channels will be windowboxed unlese you switch the input of your tv to s-video. and output mode of receiver to SD (changing stb setting not required on 811)
4x3 setting #2 is for sets that do NOT squeeze the 1080i picture down.
On this setting the receiver will create the letterbox image for HD channels.
All SD channels will fill the screen.

I hope this helps some of you.

Well put on the 811 & 4:3.

Unrelated, but equally as annoying, why does my IE6.0 & Mozilla Firefox browser underline certain words and link to websites only on this site?

The previous post had 1080i underlined with a redirect to shopping.yahoo.com

Others include, Sony Wega HDTV, DVDR985, Samsung.

Is this a setting somewhere I can turn off?

peid said:
Well put on the 811 & 4:3.

Unrelated, but equally as annoying, why does my IE6.0 & Mozilla Firefox browser underline certain words and link to websites only on this site?

The previous post had 1080i underlined with a redirect to shopping.yahoo.com

Others include, Sony Wega HDTV, DVDR985, Samsung.

Is this a setting somewhere I can turn off?
see the following threads.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=43349&highlight=intellitext
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=42381&highlight=intellitext

Thanks for the input.

Missed those posts for some reason and thought it was my computer as oppsed to this site.

They will be gone shortly the proper way. ! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)