Windows 8.1 to be made available in October

I had to reinstall Avast antivirus and my printer doesn't work now. I figured out the antivirus. I haven't bothered to mess with the printer yet. I'd still recommend you upgrade.

IF you are going from 8.0 to 8.1 it should be fairly simple. Many of the problems are part of having installed the 8.1 preview. Microsoft did tell people they could not upgrade from the preview but the warnings may not have been clear enough.

What went wrong rey?

No everything went well geronimo. :) That's why I place a wink at the end of my post. I did reinstall the start8 app. Even though the start button was brought back, clicking it takes you away from the desktop. Unless I missed the option to change that somewhere. I couldn't find it. So far looks OK to me.

No everything went well geronimo. :) That's why I place a wink at the end of my post. I did reinstall the start8 app. Even though the start button was brought back, clicking it takes you away from the desktop. Unless I missed the option to change that somewhere. I couldn't find it. So far looks OK to me.

right click the start button for options, left click takes you back to the apps page

I missed the warnings about 8.1 preview. I downloaded classic shell to get the windows 7 look and feel after I reinstalled Windows. Installing Windows is a lot simpler and faster than it used to be. Much easier than trying to find a problem.

I had 4 hours left transferring video from my C drive to an external before attempting to refresh(when I left for work tonight), it won't repair and the 8 disc is worthless now will 8.1 to do anything... I'll be on 7 till next Friday at least before attempting that.

I will say on start-up it's taking a very long time compared to before. One of the things I loved about windows 8 was how fast it booted up. Overall this update has slowed things down for me. I'll see what I can do about this.

After tweaking a few things in the registry and disabling some apps at startup, I'm back to normal.

Is 8.1 worth it? or is 7 still the best out there being used.I had 8 installed awhile back but didnt like it so reinstalled 7.When or if I ever decide to go back to 8 is the current 8.1 a free upgrade to 8 or will I need to pay for it.

I don't see much difference in 8-8.1 . Honestly I was once like you when Windows 8 was released, but after seeing the performance gains I had to stick with it. Once you adjust to the differences between 7 & 8 you'll never look back.

7 is best if you need some consistency on a large network where upgrading the installed base is not easy. For an individual or small network I would go with 8.1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)