Windows backup software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Which backup software would you recommend for use today for a laptop? Not just data backup, but perhaps a total system image that can be used to reinstall. Or would it always be better to reinstall Windows and then reinstall/reimage? Willing to pay, doesn't have to be free.

Ghost?

Windows has a disk imaging tool builtin. You can set it to make a set of DVDs for system maintenance and complete restore. Takes awhile, but when I had my last W7 box, it was the first thing I did after all the updates were installed.

Windows has a disk imaging tool builtin. You can set it to make a set of DVDs for system maintenance and complete restore. Takes awhile, but when I had my last W7 box, it was the first thing I did after all the updates were installed.

Guy claims his (elderly) laptop only has a CD burner. Looking to go to thumb drive or EHD.

navychop said:
Guy claims his (elderly) laptop only has a CD burner. Looking to go to thumb drive or EHD.

Windows Backup and it's "Create a system image" feature in particular works with EHD just fine. Highly recommended (assuming you have Windows 7).

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Windows 7 pro/ultimate also lets you set up an image backup over the network. It is really nice to be able to restore and get the image over the network.

Windows 7 pro/ultimate also lets you set up an image backup over the network. It is really nice to be able to restore and get the image over the network.

For my wife's and my laptops, I use cloned matching hard drives. Get them prepared and when disaster strikes, with a Dell, I remove 4 screws and slide the old one out and slide the new one in. Then immediately make another clone for the next time. Very fast recovery. The system I use was sold by Dell for this purpose at one time. It is Apricorn hardware and software. The drive cloning process with that also creates the proprietary partitions on some Dell laptops as well. Many laptops are special in this way compared to a desktop. Backups can get complicated unless you clone the partitions properly.

Last edited:
OK, more detail. It's a HP Pavilion DV6000 running Vista. No fancy W7 tricks here.

OK, more detail. It's a HP Pavilion DV6000 running Vista. No fancy W7 tricks here.
Sorry, didn't realize you are still on Vista. System image is a Windows 7 feature. For Vista you will have to use 3-d party tools.

Imaging with modern versions of Windows probably isn't a great thing. It doesn't take long to trash an installation and reinstalling is quick and easy (as long as you have a slip-streamed installation disc).

I stick with backing up the data and if the machine blows its top, I use the opportunity to shed a bunch of crap that I don't use anymore.

[FONT=&quot]Trust backup software on the market, such as todo backup ,nova, macruim .They are more versatility software than windows built-in tool. Schedule backup set, incremental backup, differential backup. Personally, I use todo backup free in my vista.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Differential/Incremental backup and automatic backup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save PC to a safe place - FTP, CD/DVD, Network[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Restore system to dissimilar hardware[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Explore backup contents & selective restore[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] it is terrific![/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)