Please reply by conversation.

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
Hey all,

In order to frustrate myself (apparently), I've been trying to get my Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S2 running in Windows 7 x64. It's been good for the most part. Windows Media Center and Hauppauge's own WinTV software won't scan in and DVB-S2 channels, but MediaPortal 1 seems to be doing the job for the most part. I was even able to manually enter a tp in order to DVR a feed. However, it doesn't seem able to access ports 3 & 4 on my 4x1 diseqc 1.0 switch. The switch options are "Simple A", "Simple B", then levels 1AA, 1AB, 1BA, 1BB. None seem to work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent program for just being able to flip through the channels on a PC? I'm fine putting in the effort to get it up and running. I'd just prefer it doesn't do the WMC "nuke all your channel settings" when you want to add a tuner.

Hey all,

In order to frustrate myself (apparently), I've been trying to get my Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S2 running in Windows 7 x64. It's been good for the most part. Windows Media Center and Hauppauge's own WinTV software won't scan in and DVB-S2 channels, but MediaPortal 1 seems to be doing the job for the most part. I was even able to manually enter a tp in order to DVR a feed. However, it doesn't seem able to access ports 3 & 4 on my 4x1 diseqc 1.0 switch. The switch options are "Simple A", "Simple B", then levels 1AA, 1AB, 1BA, 1BB. None seem to work.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent program for just being able to flip through the channels on a PC? I'm fine putting in the effort to get it up and running. I'd just prefer it doesn't do the WMC "nuke all your channel settings" when you want to add a tuner.
i have used smartDVB which is free i use EBSpro with VLC the most and i am learning the quirks of progDVB all 3 have worked great when my dish is properly aligned

Hey all,

I would have to agree with jmc98 for smartDVB, I actually tries after trying many others and was surprised that it was more like my STB when setting it up.

But to name all of the programs I have tried so far:

DVBDream (does a lot more then I need but works) Diseqc 1.0 or 2.0 with 4 ports, has a positioner console with Raw diseqc "HEX" form. and a renderer with setting for decoders and buffers.

DVBViewer (crashes constanly) use another program to move your dish, but when it works it looks great.

SmartDVB (has crashed a few times but was probably my fault) Has Diseqc console that i think almost mirrors my VBOX remote and will send motor positions that I have saved in the VBOX, and you can store new one, move east/west ect. This one is I think the most complete solution of the ones I have tried.

EBSPro "Lite" (has not crashed yet) This one is great for chasing wild feeds because it really don't save anything unless you tell it to. Doesn't actually play anything so you will have to stream to an external player. positioner console only available in unlocked version.

I'm pretty sure I just need a proper TBS card instead of the cheap Hauppauge. SmartDVB fails to initialize the card, and EBSPro Lite says that the card's not compatible. I have it running pretty well. In Mediaportal I have the EPG for Russia Today and NHK World, so the wife is happy. I switched 123W to port 2 on the 4x1 switch, but the channel we want scans as $ in Mediaportal and ITC on my receiver. I'll probably scoop up a cheap TBS 8922 or 6922SE when the budget allows.

I'm tempted by the USB version, but my power strips are already fully loaded, and I like keeping things neat (er... not as messy) with internal cards. I still have 3 free slots (PCI, PCIe x1, PCIe x16), but no power outlets. I've even been thinking of replacing my Hauppauge 950q USB tuner with a PCIe version just so I don't have the thing hanging off the back of the computer. It's enough of a bird's nest back there already!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts