Windows error message when using FireFox.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Although I still have IE, I switched to Firefox as my default browser and now everytime I click on a URL link on my desktop, I get a "Windows Can't Find......." message and then it continues on into Firefox but I do have to click the "ok" when I return to the desktop, as the message is still there.

This happened before and it went away when I uninstalled IE. I later reinstalled IE and made it the default and no messages - even if I'd occasionally use Firefox but as soon as I made FireFox the default, the messages started again.

ha, what is it saying windows cant find? that would probably help the troubleshooting process...
and what version of windows are you on?

Yep, need the entire error msg to be 100%; bet its the default handler for a particular extension. Sometime windows doesn't play nice when things are taken away from it; it can be adjusted if this is the case and it is a windows issue so do not despair.

View attachment IE7Error.bmp

It seems to only happen if browser is not open and I go online via a desktop icon for the site. If Firefox is already open, I don't get the message.

Win XP Pro SP2. with IE 7 installed but using Firebox 2.0.0.12 i

So you are trying to launch the site form a shortcut you made on the desktop?
*edit, sorry that last post didnt register in the brain, was up till 3am with the baby, brain still jell-o

Last edited:
I dont know what to say, i dont use any desktop icons let alone web shortcuts, Just tried it to see if i could replicate the problem but it worked fine, i did have zonealarm pop a message and want me to allow, are you using windows firewall or windows defender?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts