Windows Phone 7 SD card madness

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
You know, as much as I would like to support Microsoft as the anti-apple, stuff like this makes my head hurt. :(

In other words, what a way to run an airline....:D

And a bit more here and there on this. Note the use of the word "bricked." Microsoft shoots self in foot, wounds Windows Phone 7.

I'm finally actually glad I don't own Microsoft stock. I really think they've missed the boat on this, and will not have another chance do do it right. Maybe the Woz is right, in any event, and the Androids will take over the market. Apple seems able to make do with a slice of the market, but Microsoft seems to need to dominate or die. Well, wilt, anyway. ;)

They should have just locked it inside the phones and called it done. No point in even having the slot there. Since they are following in the footsteps of Apple with all the locking stuff down, no copy & paste, no multi-tasking they should have gone all the way with the no external SD slots like Apple does.

It's too late for them... developers are already focused on iPhones and Android. People aren't going to want a phone that doesn't have a good bit of apps for it. Give it a year... you won't hear much about Windows Phones then.

I don't quite get the "storm" on this one...

OK, the data is encrypted (on the SD) with no chance of recovery without the password.
So what? I think that's good. Be organized, back up...

DVRs encrypt the recorded programming as well and (most) can't be recovered either...

As Engadget's piece clarifies, the SD isn't killed, you just need the right tools to recover the media (not the content).
My guess would be in a month or so all SD media will qualify and any computer will be able to reformat it...

And before that it will be jailbroken with more data recovery options.

That might not help MS with market share, but that will have nothing to do with the SD card issue, I think.

I strongly believe MS will not fight too hard the WP7 "jailbreakers" just like they won't Kinect hackers...

Diogen.