Winegard 1 meter Dish to SG2100 motor?

beeb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
Hi guys,

I purchased a 1 meter Winegard dish to replace my existing 76 cm dish mounted on a SG2100 motor. I had problems with signal strength on certain transponders.
But the 1m dish turned out to require at last 2.25 inch mounting pole, and the SG2100 has only 1 5/8" wide masthead. Obviously I didn't do my reading very well.
I tried to think of a way to mount the dish somehow, but nothing seems to work. Do you guys have any idea how to do it, or am I stuck with the biggest useless piece of equipment I've ever owned?

Thanks.

Well the home depot, or some similar store should have an adapter, of the sorts (sometimes they do, sometimes they dont)

If not, for a few bucks, you could get a mechanic to weld one up for you probably, just 2 pieces of pipe and a little filler.. wouldnt be too bad.. (2.25inch-ish pipe, 1 5/8inch-ish pipe + some washers)

Could do something LIKE: (my ASCII art skills!)

(.....'s are there so it shows up decent

|...Dish....|
| _______ |
|| 2.25in ||
|| 2.25in ||
||______|| = A few washers, 2.25inches wide, welded onto your pipe
..\ Filler / = weld 1 5/8 pipe to washers = weld that to the 2.25 pipe - need to buy!
....|**| = 1 5/8in pipe
....|**| = 1 5/8in pipe
....|**| = 1 5/8in pipe

Hopefully that came out, its probably NOT safe at all, but should work..

NP, just be really careful, cuz that in high winds MIGHT blow apart (though if its WELDED, it SHOULDNT, but still.. dont wanna have your dish fly off and smash your winshield :)

I use a bit of PVC tube to make up the difference in diameter size and it works great, a wee bit cheaper to, a few have done it over in the FTA area and it worked well for them also!

Thanks for the advice, guys! I ended up using a plastic water pipe, 1 1/2'' that I cut along the side and forced onto the motor mast. Then on top of it I slid a rubber pipe connector from Home Depot. When tightened, the system looks quite reliable. I'll see what happens in worse weather.

Yes, a fast computer, something in the range of 3Ghz Pentium is required. My P4 overclocked to 3.6Ghz has no problems with any kind of HD sources. I've already locked and watched PBS-HD from AMC3 a few times without any glitches. The problem is that the signal quality is good in the mornings and goes unwatchable in the evenings. I'll need to take down the dish again to do more precise adjustment of the mast and motor, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts