Winegard SquareShooter High-Band VHF/UHF Amplified Antenna

R-U-Q-R-U

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Central Florida
Has anyone used the Winegard SquareShooter High-Band VHF/UHF Amplified Antenna? According the manufacturer:

"
Winegard’s newest digital antenna. A true technological break-through and Innovations award winner. It’s the Best designed, Best-built, Best performing, Best looking, Easiest to install, Urban/metropolitan HDTV antenna available. An absolutely unique antenna with unlimited installation options. Fast and easy installation, Requiring no assembly. Because of its revolutionary design, it offers multiple mounting solutions for the best digital TV reception up to 50 miles out. Can be easily mounted using familiar DBS satellite antenna hardware, on Walls, Fascias, Roofs, Railings, Over a Satellite Dish, In the attic, On patios, Almost any place an installer needs to place it."

I have seen it on sale for about $100.00. Just wondering if they are any better than the indoor Zenith.

[font=verdana,helvetica,sans-serif][/font]

Attachments

• SS-1000.gif
    SS-1000.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 251
I used it with good results.
since my nearest station (for NH) was 45 miles away, I rounded up adding a signal booster (amplifier) and a rotor.

if you live less than 35 miles from the tower (s) this is a great antenna

Two installations

I have used a Squareshooter 1000 that I originally setup with my Voom system. When I converted to E*, I use it there too. Of course it also sends signal to my D* boxes.

It is a great piece of equipment. In my case, I am lucky since I am only 8 miles from all of the Houston area digital transmitters. I get 100% on all channels.

I also have a co-worker, who lives in the Walnut Creek, CA area who just setup a Squareshooter with power amplifier. WC is in a difficult area since there are hills to the west that block signals from SanFran and it is a bit of way from Sacramento. With the Squareshooter is able to get all locals with varying signal strengths but at least they all come it. Before he was only able to get a couple of channels.

I can ask him for details on channels, distances, signal strength, etc.

You might also look at the Winegard Sensar GS-1000 unamplified and the GS-2000 amplified bat wing antennas. These have been used in the RV industry for at least the last 20 years and have a very good history at a low cost.

boba said:
You might also look at the Winegard Sensar GS-1000 unamplified and the GS-2000 amplified bat wing antennas. These have been used in the RV industry for at least the last 20 years and have a very good history at a low cost.

The $100 cost was not an issue. I like the form factor and I can use an extra J-mount to attach it a real wall on my house. My main concern was effectiveness. Sounds like some people have had good results.

From the literature it seems you can use these indoors also. I think being outdoors would give better results.

Hi,

I use the SS-2000 amplified Square Shooter up here in Canada . I live 20 minutes from Niagara Falls NY and receive all US networks and even some Canadian ones (17 digital channels in all).

Somw of these channels are 50 miles from me and I receive them with 75-80% signal on my ExpressVU 9200 (Dish 942).

Crispy

Being 1/2 way from Balt and DC, and about 18 mi. from each city's towers, I have both. I'm in a 3rd fl apt and have a Squareshooter 2 (amped) on my deck facing DC. No obstructions except for some trees and get high 80's low 90's sig strength. I have other buildings in my complex partially blocking the Balt. towers but the Zenith Silver Sensor gets the same sig strength as the Winegard. I suggest trying the Zenith first and see what happens. I was really wowed by its performance. You can use the Squarehooter indoors, but Winegard says the effeciveness is cut by 50%. They were supposed to start production on a new indoor antenna the "Sharpshooter" this past Jan. but have not seen any on the market yet. Good luck--Ray

raymo721 said:
Being 1/2 way from Balt and DC, and about 18 mi. from each city's towers, I have both. I'm in a 3rd fl apt and have a Squareshooter 2 (amped) on my deck facing DC. No obstructions except for some trees and get high 80's low 90's sig strength. I have other buildings in my complex partially blocking the Balt. towers but the Zenith Silver Sensor gets the same sig strength as the Winegard. I suggest trying the Zenith first and see what happens. I was really wowed by its performance. You can use the Squarehooter indoors, but Winegard says the effeciveness is cut by 50%. They were supposed to start production on a new indoor antenna the "Sharpshooter" this past Jan. but have not seen any on the market yet. Good luck--Ray

I have the Silver Sensor now and can get mid 83-90 on about 12 stations near me excpet NBC and CBS. I cannot get a lock on NBC and CBS is 75-80 and sometimes drops out. I was thinking an outdoor antenna might solve the issue and let me get all the locals.

R-U-Q-R-U said:
I have the Silver Sensor now and can get mid 83-90 on about 12 stations near me excpet NBC and CBS. I cannot get a lock on NBC and CBS is 75-80 and sometimes drops out. I was thinking an outdoor antenna might solve the issue and let me get all the locals.
Are these ststions UHF or VHF? The Silver Sensor is UHF only, if you can figure a way to connect it the Silver Sensor should work better outside even if it isn't designed for outdoor use. :)

boba said:
Are these ststions UHF or VHF? The Silver Sensor is UHF only, if you can figure a way to connect it the Silver Sensor should work better outside even if it isn't designed for outdoor use. :)

I am only looking to get maximum signal on digital HDTV channels. I have my SD locals on the dish. For the money the Silver Sensor is pretty good. It seems kind of flimsy to leave outside.

I am leaning toward plunking down the $100 for the SquareShooter so I can get CBS and NBC in HD without dropouts.

Before you decide to make that purchase take at look at the Channel Master 4228. It has approximately twice the gain and can be purchased for half the price.

BCH said:
Before you decide to make that purchase take at look at the Channel Master 4228. It has approximately twice the gain and can be purchased for half the price.

Yea, I looked at the 4228, but cosmetics is a problem in my location and the CM is one ugly piece of metal.
The SquareShooter ss-2000 has an Integrated 12dB gain amplifier across both UHF/VHF bands. I think that will do OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)