wing dish 500 or 300?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hobojoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
so caif usa
:confused: I'm seeing a lot of you use a dish 500 instead of a 300 for a add on or wing dish to get a extra sat. is it because of the reflector size or the dp system? I'm getting a dish1000+ in-spite of the outcry's from others i don't need it. and need to add an additional dish to get 148 or 61.5. is a 500 better for me in that situation? thanks! I'm here only to learn and not to fight, hassle, molest, pester, bother, or annoy anyone.

I see no reason you can't take an old 300 and put a DP dual on it. In fact, I'm planning to do just that with an old one that I have to get 61.5. I would suspect that more people use 500's because they are more plentiful on the used market, but with a 300 you don't even need the "I" adapter.

sigmtr

as an installer I use a dish500 for the wing dish because thats what we have in the stock room. We don't order 300's anymore. We just use the 500 with an I-adapter.

I would suspect that more people use 500's because they are more plentiful on the used market, but with a 300 you don't even need the "I" adapter

so true. I just put a D500 with a I adapter for 110 only (since thats what I had laying around). I have oodles of DirecTV dishes but the Dish LNB's (especially DishPro) are a "D" shaped and Direct uses rectangle types

As an update, I got the 300 set up in my garage as a test and was able to peak on 61.5 with a signal of 114! This is with the original legacy LNB and my old 4900 receiver. I also tried a new DP dual with a DishPro adapter and got the same signal levels. Alas, it will never work where my main dish is located. The azimuth is so different that it would be looking through a wall of trees. But the bottom line is, if you have an old 300 laying around, go for it.

Also, I went back to my 105 SuperDish and bumped up signals a good ten points over the 500 that I tried to use as its replacement. When you're clipping the edge of your neighbor's tree, size does matter! I pulled off the FSS LNB for 105 and left the wasp-housing shroud off as well, so in essence it's just an oversize Dish500.

sigmtr

yooper.mi said:
Do you get a stronger signal with a 500 with I adapter or is it about the same as a 300?
A 500 looks at (2) satellite locations, whereas a 300 only looks at (1). Anytime you're trying to see two, you trade off strength on one for the other. If you're aiming the 500 at just (1) location vs a 300 aimed at just (1) location too, I don't know which would be "better".

I have a dish 500 with dual legancy lnb's. I wanted to increase signal strenght from 110*. I tried a dish 300 aimed at 110* same strenght as a 500. I next tried a dish 500 with a I adapter same signal strenght. So all three ways yield no increase in signal strenght. At this time I don't want the expense of going to PRO equipment.
I have a winegard 76cm will it hold a legancy dual? I could aim that at 110 that should increase signal. Has anyone clamped a dual on a winegard 76 cm, will it support it?
Thanks

yooper.mi said:
I have a dish 500 with dual legancy lnb's. I wanted to increase signal strenght from 110*. I tried a dish 300 aimed at 110* same strenght as a 500. I next tried a dish 500 with a I adapter same signal strenght. So all three ways yield no increase in signal strenght. At this time I don't want the expense of going to PRO equipment.
I didnt want to either but I had an issue with signal dropping 15-20 points when adding a SW21. Tried numerous combos and still same thing

I have a winegard 76cm will it hold a legancy dual? I could aim that at 110 that should increase signal. Has anyone clamped a dual on a winegard 76 cm, will it support it?
Thanks
yes it will support the LNB but you have to make some adjustments for it to fit in the holder

The holder wont fit the LNB as is. You have to remove the plastic from the LNB. The outside plastic cover cracks open very easily. The top part of the plastic case has to be removed so you can fit that into the holder. What I did was wrap masking tape around that to make it big enought to snugly fit in the holder

see attached picture. Thats the LNB with no case on it (the one on the left is for 119..the right one is for Galaxy 10)

Attachments

• IM000838.JPG
    IM000838.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 303
Iceberg said:
I didnt want to either but I had an issue with signal dropping 15-20 points when adding a SW21. Tried numerous combos and still same thing

yes it will support the LNB but you have to make some adjustments for it to fit in the holder

The holder wont fit the LNB as is. You have to remove the plastic from the LNB. The outside plastic cover cracks open very easily. The top part of the plastic case has to be removed so you can fit that into the holder. What I did was wrap masking tape around that to make it big enought to snugly fit in the holder

see attached picture. Thats the LNB with no case on it (the one on the left is for 119..the right one is for Galaxy 10)

Thanks for the comeback, in my junkbox I have an old DSS(direct) lnb with a neck of the right size, I believe it is legancy, I think I'll experiment this week as I have no real need for 121 anymore.
thanks again

Well tried the 76cm winegard to improve 110 transponder 23 spotbeam. Most transponders went up 10-18 points on average, all but the spotbeam on 23 it stayed the same 78-80. I now have new respect for spotbeams. It was an experiment, I was hoping to improve it 10 points or better but I can live with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)