WINTER BASEBALL

KCK_Halo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It is so frustrating that you can't catch any Winter Ball in the Carribean anymore without signing up for ESPN's Spanish speaking channel. I used to love to watch it on the various FOX channels. It was a great way to keep the baseball juices alive in the Winter. :(

cuadrangular translates to "homerun"

I thought "jonron" translated to "home run". Maybe I was listening to some spanish announcer who was more "spanglish" than most.

As for winter baseball, no problemo! FTA Satellite! Caribbean baseball or Mexican baseball (from those run-down looking Mexican baseball stadiums).

The real crime is that for some many years, Puerto Rico always had a very competive season, and the league has fallen on such hard times that for the 1st time ever, they shut down business where they had NO WINTER LEAGUE at all!!

This year they are back with a VERY small amount of teams(6 teams total). There has been a huge move to try to bring the love of the sport back in Puerto Rico. The amount of MLB from Puerto Rico has declined quite a bit also. They are just not playing it as much as they use to down there....and quite frankly no one really knows why. Sad really.....:(:(:( I have fond memories of winter ball in Puerto Rico.
I saw what I thought was the greatest line-up I had ever seen play together as a team for the whole season:

c-Gary Carter
1b-Dan Drissen
2b-Tont Bernazard
ss-Dickie Thon
3b-Cal Ripken
lf-Hector Cruz
cf-Ricky Henderson
rf-Jose "Cheo" Cruz

That was the Criollos of Caguas team in 1980-1981. WOW, what a line-up!

Here is some excerpts from a story back in August of 2007:

For now, the absence of a winter league in Puerto Rico means the loss of jobs for players and coaches who participated in the league, along with stiffer competition for the limited roster spots in the winter leagues in the Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Mexico. Nicaragua, a country still developing its winter leagues, might benefit from the decline of Puerto Rico's Winter League. Lower-level Puerto Rican amateur players on the island will be hit the hardest and might not have a place to play.

"It would be like contracting a Major League club because of its impact on development, the staff that performs down there and scouting," said John Lombardo, the Rangers' director of Minor League operations. "There will be a lot of scrambling for jobs and clubs looking to place players."

The league's history will be hard to replace. American Hall of Fame players Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Eddie Murray all played in Puerto Rico's Winter Leagues. Virtually every Puerto Rican star, dating back to Roberto Clemente, also played in the now defunct league.

"It's a sad day, because the Winter League is always rich in tradition, and over the years, so many players in that league developed and went on to play Major League ball," said Sal Artiaga, the Phillies' director of Latin American operations. "I think the industry saw it coming with the decline in attendance and some of the other problems, mostly economics. It's something you don't want to see come to pass, but it has."

Theories for the decline of baseball, including the winter leagues, in Puerto Rico include the lack of participation by Puerto Rican Major League players in the winter, the fact that Puerto Rico is now subjected to the First-Year Player Draft, and the rise in popularity of sports like soccer and basketball.

"There are a lot of factors, but mostly it is financial," Melendez said. "The owners did not want to take anymore losses."

Puerto Rico Winter League folds | MLB.com: News

Puerto Rico to resume winter baseball season after a year-long shutdown

Posted 3/15/2008 7:39 PM

PONCE, Puerto Rico (AP) — The Puerto Rican winter baseball league will resume its season in October, more than a year after it announced a shutdown because of financial problems.

The famed league, which has starred Roberto Clemente, Ivan Rodriguez and Juan Gonzalez, will be revived because several municipalities have promised to increase funds and suspend stadium rents in some cases, president Jose Andreu Garcia said Friday.

He said a specific amount of money had not been pledged.

Officials also will hold the traditional interleague game, scheduled against the Dominican Republic, Garcia said.

The league runs from October through January and has a storied past, with Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Reggie Jackson all playing in Puerto Rico. Last year's season was expected to feature Yadier Molina and his brother, Jose, until the owners of six teams voted unanimously last August to shut down the league. It had been affected by a steady decline in attendance.

Puerto Rico to resume winter baseball season after a year-long shutdown - USATODAY.com

LETS HOPE things are betting economically for the league this year where taking a year off will have stabized things where this won't happen again!:up

If you get a chance, check out this website:

Puerto Rico Winter Baseball
It has some great info and pictures of the stadiums and the site.

also beisbol from Cuba :)

What U.S. or Mexican channel carries those games? I've never seen Cuban baseball on satellite feeds (only the Cuba National team when they've played in the Olympics or Pan American Games or WBC or in exhbitions against USA National team).

I have been for a couple of games around here in Puerto Rico watch the Cangrejeros from Santurce in the Hiram Bithorn Stadium it's been okay. But I am wating now for the World Baseball Classic that starts in March 2009! People over here got tired to go to the games because the All Stars don't want to play here but in other countries like Domincan Republic there All Stars play there.

I have been for a couple of games around here in Puerto Rico watch the Cangrejeros from Santurce in the Hiram Bithorn Stadium it's been okay. But I am wating now for the World Baseball Classic that starts in March 2009! People over here got tired to go to the games because the All Stars don't want to play here but in other countries like Domincan Republic there All Stars play there.

Good point....but alot of teams do not allow their players play because of the how much money they have invested into their contracts...as much as I hate it, I cannot blame them.:(

Good point....but alot of teams do not allow their players play because of the how much money they have invested into their contracts...as much as I hate it, I cannot blame them.:(

Look what it did to the Angels' Juan Rivera . Broke his leg sliding into 2nd base and we lost him until mid-season.

I'm not a big fan of the WBC anyway. They push it as where you could see players from different teams on one team against another. I already see that with the All Star Game. It's like they keep saying how you could watch players from other countries where I already do.

It's not like the 70s where the only time you could see All Stars is during the All Star Game. Now, you could see your favorite players all the time. Same with the WBC. If this was a once in a lifetime type of thing, fine but what's the difference between the WBC and the MLB regular season.

What U.S. or Mexican channel carries those games? I've never seen Cuban baseball on satellite feeds (only the Cuba National team when they've played in the Olympics or Pan American Games or WBC or in exhbitions against USA National team).

neither...Cubavision on free to Air...seen many games on Cubavision and the other state controlled stations from Cuba :)

I'm not a big fan of the WBC anyway. They push it as where you could see players from different teams on one team against another. I already see that with the All Star Game. It's like they keep saying how you could watch players from other countries where I already do.

It's not like the 70s where the only time you could see All Stars is during the All Star Game. Now, you could see your favorite players all the time. Same with the WBC. If this was a once in a lifetime type of thing, fine but what's the difference between the WBC and the MLB regular season.

I don't know where you are from, but me being Puerto Rican, I use to LOVE seeing all the major league players playing winter ball in Puerto Rico when I lived there. THE main reason these players would play back home in P.R. and the D.R. (and Venezuela and Mexico)was to give back to their community AND because they don't get a chance to seem them play live during the baseball season there because thare are no major league teams in those respective islands and countries. Alot of the players that play there were also BIG fan favorites eventhough some never made big impacts in the majors.

When I lived there, one of the biggest thrills for me was seeing my favorite team, the Criollos of Caguas sport an ALL BROTHER outfield....Hector "Heity" Cruz in left, Cirilo Cruz in center and Jose "Cheo" Cruz in right. Hector was a decent major league outfielder but Jose Cruz made a bigger and better name for himself. Cirilo had a cup of coffee or two in the majors...but was a fine outfielder. To me, they were IT!

You cannot get anything like that BUT winter ball.

free to air system

a 30" dish, FTA receiver and a KU LNB and you're set. Basic system runs 200 bucks and there are no fees after that. There is a satellite called Hispasat that has a bunch of channels from Cuba...found the list

CANAL EDUCATIVO 1 Havana
CANAL EDUCATIVO 2 Havana
CUBAVISION Havana
CUBAVISION INTERNACIONAL Havana
TELE REBELDE Havana
CANAL HABANA Havana
SENAL ACN Havana
Radio: 1260-AM CMBF Havana
Radio: 90.3-FM Radio Progreso Havana
Radio: 93.3-FM Radio Taino Havana
Radio: 94.1-FM Radio Enciclopedia Havana
Radio: 96.7-FM Radio Rebelde Havana
Radio: 101.5-FM Radio Reloj Havana
Radio: 106.9-FM Radio Habana Havana

Cubavision is the original and the Cubavision Int'l version is a pick & choose version of Cubavision with various programs but alot of replays. The Int'l version is shown around the world. As long as you have a good Eastern view (from Miami the azimuth is around 110) you'd be all set. I know of a few folks who have a FTA system just for this satellite

I can pick it up just fine here in Minnesota with a 8 elevation (the dish on the right...the left one was at 148 just for humor)....if you need more info, PM me if you need more info (dont want to take the thread too off topic) ;)

Attachments

• 000_0152.jpg
    000_0152.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 101
free to air system

a 30" dish, FTA receiver and a KU LNB and you're set. Basic system runs 200 bucks and there are no fees after that. There is a satellite called Hispasat that has a bunch of channels from Cuba...found the list

CANAL EDUCATIVO 1 Havana
CANAL EDUCATIVO 2 Havana
CUBAVISION Havana
CUBAVISION INTERNACIONAL Havana
TELE REBELDE Havana
CANAL HABANA Havana
SENAL ACN Havana
Radio: 1260-AM CMBF Havana
Radio: 90.3-FM Radio Progreso Havana
Radio: 93.3-FM Radio Taino Havana
Radio: 94.1-FM Radio Enciclopedia Havana
Radio: 96.7-FM Radio Rebelde Havana
Radio: 101.5-FM Radio Reloj Havana
Radio: 106.9-FM Radio Habana Havana

Cubavision is the original and the Cubavision Int'l version is a pick & choose version of Cubavision with various programs but alot of replays. The Int'l version is shown around the world. As long as you have a good Eastern view (from Miami the azimuth is around 110) you'd be all set. I know of a few folks who have a FTA system just for this satellite

I can pick it up just fine here in Minnesota with a 8 elevation (the dish on the right...the left one was at 148 just for humor)....if you need more info, PM me if you need more info (dont want to take the thread too off topic) ;)

EXCELLENT info ICE!!! I have been thinking of a getting me a little extra sat coverage with all that is going on in the world. I will PM you later this month once all the holidays are said and done. Thanks again!:up

no problem. Don't understand much Spanish but its fun watching those ballgames....and usually no commercials :)

Yep.....that is what I hear. And inbetween innings, it is extremely festive. Have you ever seen some of the games during the Carribean world Series....CRAZY inbetween innings.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)