Winter Olympics Coverage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
rthomp03 said:
How 'bout giving some decent bobsled, luge and downhill coverage, rather than the small snipets on NBC squeezed in between countless athlete profiles. Why can't the coverage be like it was back in the 60s and 70s where you actually saw the athletes perform instead of hearing their life story. Is it a guy thing? :devil:

Some of that type of coverage is airing on USA, where they show a lot more of the individual runs instead of just the highlights and top 3 or 4 competitors.

For example, on Monday at 2AM USA is showing the Women's biathlon, men's curling, and women's curling. On Tuesday it is the men's biathlong, more curling, luge, and skiing. Thursday at 5AM is more biathlon, curling, snowboarding. Friday is snowboarding, bobsled, curling & hockey. Etc. I think they show a lot of each event.

A lot of the MSNBC coverage is hockey too. So most of UHD & MSNBC is hockey. And even a lot of CNBC is hockey, plus curling

I've never seen so much hockey & curling coverage.

Dish may have goofed up by not knowing what NBC was going to air on Universal HD and that 9399 channel. They should have known because NBC locked in that programming weeks ago. If you read the link I provided to a Jan 11th article, it clearly states that cable programming would be focused upon hockey and curling.

Dish should have also known if they were going to be able to air NBC HD nationally. I don't think NBC ever told them that they could. Since over 100 NBC affiliates now offer HD, it would have been very difficult for NBC to allow E* and D* to air the Olympics without station waivers.

From Dish's perspective, they are airing every hour of non-network HD and SD Olympic programming, plus the 9399 special Olympics channel, and the Open TV mosaic, that NBC is providing.

I admit that I never paid that much attention to the Chat and other announcements, since I get NBC HD OTA. So I don't know how Dish packaged their announcements.

This announcement appears to be accurate:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2006/02/nbc_universal_d.php

This one, from Dish, appears to be an NBC ad:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/promotion/olympics/index.shtml

While it does not promise that Dish will be carrying the NBC HD programming, I could see how someone could get that impression. It certainly doesn't state that Dish would NOT be carrying the NBC feed.

If NBC is protecting their locals by expecting the Olympics to be a big draw for local viewers, I am sure they are right. But that is what pisses me off the most. My local NBC does digital, but refuses to do HD. AND they broadcast at a lower power, making their signal unwatchable in the daytime and only watchable at night, when the conditions are right. If they (my local affiliate) would provide the signal, I would watch their channel, but they don't, so I won't. They don't get me, as a viewer, therefore their advert dollars are wasted on me. When I got HD, that has been the one thing that I wanted to see most in HD 0 Olympics. Yet, I am consistently denied that opportunity due to a couple of a$$hole pinheads that think they are saving so much f----ing money by not getting into all that expensive HD broadcast equipment. I have news for them - every other network in my area does HD and when we have to drop analog, they are going to be hurting because they will be so far behind the curve they won't know where to start and hopefully they will get put out of business. Bunch of self-righteous a**holes. KTAL -NBC SUCKS!!!!!

PS - sorry im off-topic. I have to rant. I get so worked up and pissed about missing the one thing I really want to see in HD. And yes, I am pissed at Dish for making it out like we would get more than what we are getting, but yes, I should have looked at UniHD's website and saw that there was little coverage, so shoot me for being pissed too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)