Winter Pole mount?

JayStil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
I'm thinking of doing the HD upgrade before Feb. 1st as I think it's a better deal. I currently have a Dish 500 w/ quad LNB & 3 separate cable runs to 3 different legacy single tuner receivers. I self installed the dish, originally on a bracket on the roof trim board. I've got a large tree in my front yard that has grown enough so it started interfering with the signal (119). I temporarily moved the dish to the center of the roof, on a weighted piece of plywood, with the bottom end resting against the chimney. Works fine. I don't really want holes through the roof here.

I'd like the new installation to be in the back corner of my lot. It's around 40' from the entry point of the current cables. Dishpointer and a site survey I did previously using the moon indicate a nice clear shot to 119 there, the only slot that's problematic for me due to it's low elevation here in the Northeast.

Obviously the installer won't be able to sink a pole in the frozen tundra that is currently northern Mass. If I set a pole in a 10 gallon bucket do you think he would temporarily install on that, and I'd bury it and the cable(s) once the ground thaws? Would such an installation leave him open to failing a QC audit, making him hesitant to do it?

I have done a pole mount in the winter time with the ground frozen in the past. I think it depends on how long the ground has been frozen. The only thing is you may not be able to get concrete put around that pole until spring. You could try putting some hot water at the area where you want to put the pole in which would unthaw the ground so that you can drive the pole in the ground easier and dig up some dirt for concrete.

I live in Norther Michigan and when I upgraded to HD a couple of weeks ago they put in a pole mount with no problem, the tech said they do it all the time in the winter.

I live in Norther Michigan and when I upgraded to HD a couple of weeks ago they put in a pole mount with no problem, the tech said they do it all the time in the winter.

Cool. What did they do with the wire(s)? Run them above ground for now?

If you can do it before he gets there it will be easy. Just get a 6'x1 5/8" chain link fence post, and a 3"x9" mending plate (this is just a flat piece of metal). Use self tapping screws and attach the plate to the pole about 12" from the bottom, this will stop the pole from spinning in the ground. Then just drive the pole into the ground about 2'. Cut the top of the pole off it it gets deformed. You can do 2 plates if you want too. Just put the second one at about 20" from the bottom of the pole this way it is only a few inches below the surface.

Menard's also has something called an easyfoot for these poles. They work the same as the plates I have mentioned except that you can not get the pole out if you ever wanted to remove it. They also cost about 10 times more than the plates.

The tech can put the dish on the pole when he gets there. You will just have to bury the cable in the spring, and if you want you can put some quickcrete around the pole then as well if you want, but it will be fine if you don't.

Thanks for the help.

Just ordered the 722 upgrade. Install is Sunday morning. Don't they know enough to take a day off? :D

Actually works out well for me as I'll be here all day anyway. Sure beats taking the morning off and waiting for them to show up.

I guess I'll just see if I can get him to do the pole mount. If not, I can always move it myself in the spring. I know he's not going to like the current location of the D500 as a tree now blocks 119 when the leaves are out. I guess he can stick the 61.5 dish up there.

I'll post my experience after the install. Hopefully it will go smooth.

Oh, I also got them to replace my 7100's remote. Didn't even have to listen to the CSR read the troubleshooting script. Told him a couple buttons didn't work very well and he agreed to ship a new one right out.

Good luck yeah let us know how it goes.

I'm thinking of doing the HD upgrade before Feb. 1st as I think it's a better deal. I currently have a Dish 500 w/ quad LNB & 3 separate cable runs to 3 different legacy single tuner receivers. I self installed the dish, originally on a bracket on the roof trim board. I've got a large tree in my front yard that has grown enough so it started interfering with the signal (119). I temporarily moved the dish to the center of the roof, on a weighted piece of plywood, with the bottom end resting against the chimney. Works fine. I don't really want holes through the roof here.

I'd like the new installation to be in the back corner of my lot. It's around 40' from the entry point of the current cables. Dishpointer and a site survey I did previously using the moon indicate a nice clear shot to 119 there, the only slot that's problematic for me due to it's low elevation here in the Northeast.

Obviously the installer won't be able to sink a pole in the frozen tundra that is currently northern Mass. If I set a pole in a 10 gallon bucket do you think he would temporarily install on that, and I'd bury it and the cable(s) once the ground thaws? Would such an installation leave him open to failing a QC audit, making him hesitant to do it?

the tech will document all details on the work order which you will obviously agree to sign and intial on the "special "notes...This will cover the tech and you...BUT, should you choose to have the tech come back in the spring he will be able to charge you for the work...I am compelled to write this because I almost got burned by a customer who told me he would bury the 125 or so feet of cable because he didn't want ot pay and he was worried about underground wires. I had hm sign off on all those items and intial in several places.. Wouldn't you know that no good SOB called Dish to complain about the cable being in his yard. Well i had the documentation six ways to sunday. Dish initally wanted us to bury the cable but we were able to escape from that.
Now I recommend that if there is the slightest chance that the wind could topple the dish , go ahead and lash it as well.

Build a bonfire on the spot where the pole mount will go. Let it cook a day or two so its smoldering when the guy gets there. Then just rake the coals away and dig.

Just ordered the 722 upgrade. Install is Sunday morning. Don't they know enough to take a day off? :D
Be smart enough not to say this to the tech when he shows up, after all he's working on Sunday because you didnt tell the csr to schedule for a diferent day. :rolleyes:

The fire on the ground thing is an elegant and simple solution to "frozen tundra syndrome" and will work quite well. If you go out there and dig the hole, you can set a post in it and then just put in some "post set". It's a dry mix concrete mix and you just pour it dry into the hole. I think you can pour some warm water on it after it's in, but generally the stuff sucks the moisture out of the ground around it and sets up. Also keep in mind that concrete does generate some warmth while curing. So if you pile straw over it or an old blanket to just insulate the TOP of the hole while it sets up, you should be fine. This is all AFTER doing the magic fire on the ground thing first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)