Wireless A/V from 2nd tuner - anyone?

stealth916

Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
In case this helps anyone:

I am using a Recoton 900MHz A/V transmitter/receiver connected from my DISH 625 unit 2nd tuner, and it is working great!

I didn't want to tap into my existing home distribution because I am using CABLE MODEM and the DISH installer got glassy eyed when I asked him how the Home Distribution worked with a cable modem.

All the bettter - because now I can watch the second tuner upstairs or in the garage (where I have a second 900MHz receiver) - or anywhere that I can carry an A/V receiver in range. Combined with the 2nd tuner UHF remote - it is a complete wireless package!!

FYI - I have tried other brands of wireless AV receivers, and I have tried some 2.4GHz models. But this old school, $10 Recoton unit @ 900MHz gives the best picture, has the best picture lock over a wide operating temperature range, and the best over all signal locking I have ever found. I have used the same Recoton A/V unit for years, and I have never touched it to adjust the signal - it is hassle free! It is also 1:1 quality, I cannot tell the difference between it and the hard wired input.

Recently I tried upgrading my wireless A/V to 2.4GHz because I needed to use a baby monitor @ 900MHz. The 2.4GHz A/V units interfered with my 2.4GHz phones very badly. I was able to work around my 2.4GHz Wireless LAN. But the picture was very inconsistent and very washed out with the 2.4GHz unit even under the best circumstances, so I took it back to Circuit City and I still use my Recoton @ 900Mhz - I just turn off the baby monitor :)

The scary thing is this: I would not have known how bad the 2.4GHz unit was unless I had seen something better. I would have assumed it was the best I could get with wireless, and it was just good enough that you'd live with it.

If anyone else knows of rock solid wireless A/V units please let us know - there has to be more. I am sure this topic will become more popular as second tuner becomes more popular.

Thanks for the info. I may be moving somehwere where hard-wired distro may not be possible.

My wifi 2.4 ghz, my phones are 5.8, and our baby monitor is ~430mhz, so that leaves 900 wide open.

Now if I can find this for sale somewhere. So far, I'm not having much luck with my search...

YEs, it's hard to find 900mhz stuff at all anymore. That's a shame, though. 900mhz has far better range than 2.4/5.8ghz stuff. My inlaws live on a lake, their old 900mhz phone could reach waaay to the end of the pier, about 100 yards and a brick wall away from the transmitter. Their new 5.8ghz phones can barely make it 1/3 down the pier.

Now, I recently bought some 5.8 phones myself, only becuase of the handset expandability and non-inteference with wifi (make sure they tx and rx on 5.8).. I wonder what keeps them from making a 900mhz DSS phone that could handle multiple handsets (the most I've seen is 2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts