Wireless A/V from 2nd tuner - anyone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stealth916

Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
In case this helps anyone:

I am using a Recoton 900MHz A/V transmitter/receiver connected from my DISH 625 unit 2nd tuner, and it is working great!

I didn't want to tap into my existing home distribution because I am using CABLE MODEM and the DISH installer got glassy eyed when I asked him how the Home Distribution worked with a cable modem.

All the bettter - because now I can watch the second tuner upstairs or in the garage (where I have a second 900MHz receiver) - or anywhere that I can carry an A/V receiver in range. Combined with the 2nd tuner UHF remote - it is a complete wireless package!!

FYI - I have tried other brands of wireless AV receivers, and I have tried some 2.4GHz models. But this old school, $10 Recoton unit @ 900MHz gives the best picture, has the best picture lock over a wide operating temperature range, and the best over all signal locking I have ever found. I have used the same Recoton A/V unit for years, and I have never touched it to adjust the signal - it is hassle free! It is also 1:1 quality, I cannot tell the difference between it and the hard wired input.

Recently I tried upgrading my wireless A/V to 2.4GHz because I needed to use a baby monitor @ 900MHz. The 2.4GHz A/V units interfered with my 2.4GHz phones very badly. I was able to work around my 2.4GHz Wireless LAN. But the picture was very inconsistent and very washed out with the 2.4GHz unit even under the best circumstances, so I took it back to Circuit City and I still use my Recoton @ 900Mhz - I just turn off the baby monitor :)

The scary thing is this: I would not have known how bad the 2.4GHz unit was unless I had seen something better. I would have assumed it was the best I could get with wireless, and it was just good enough that you'd live with it.

If anyone else knows of rock solid wireless A/V units please let us know - there has to be more. I am sure this topic will become more popular as second tuner becomes more popular.

Thanks for the info. I may be moving somehwere where hard-wired distro may not be possible.

My wifi 2.4 ghz, my phones are 5.8, and our baby monitor is ~430mhz, so that leaves 900 wide open.

Now if I can find this for sale somewhere. So far, I'm not having much luck with my search...

YEs, it's hard to find 900mhz stuff at all anymore. That's a shame, though. 900mhz has far better range than 2.4/5.8ghz stuff. My inlaws live on a lake, their old 900mhz phone could reach waaay to the end of the pier, about 100 yards and a brick wall away from the transmitter. Their new 5.8ghz phones can barely make it 1/3 down the pier.

Now, I recently bought some 5.8 phones myself, only becuase of the handset expandability and non-inteference with wifi (make sure they tx and rx on 5.8).. I wonder what keeps them from making a 900mhz DSS phone that could handle multiple handsets (the most I've seen is 2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts