Wireless Adapters??

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
I'm looking at getting one of the new 922 but would like to know will it let you hook up like a USB wireless adapter?? Just trying to not have to run Cat from my wireless router to the DVR so forth??

I have been hooked up to a Linksys router that was made into a wireless bridge. Seems to work fine.

I have been hooked up to a Linksys router that was made into a wireless bridge. Seems to work fine.

Hmm yeah I have a USB Wireless card was just wanting to know if I could plug it into the 922 to connect to my wireless router. At one time I thought Dish was going to have some kind of adapter or something.

I use a print server. It picks up the wireless, is a wireless extender and has 4 Ethernet ports. Google: "Wireless Print Servers"

Hmm yeah I have a USB Wireless card was just wanting to know if I could plug it into the 922 to connect to my wireless router. At one time I thought Dish was going to have some kind of adapter or something.

I doubt the receiver has drivers for a USB wireless adapter. Something that connects into the Ethernet port would work though. Like a wireless gaming adapter or some other device that will work in wireless bridge mode. It's not cheap, but I use a D-Link DAP-1555 to bridge 4 devices including my 922 into my home network. Streaming HD video is a breeze with that bridge connected to my Netgear WNDR3700.

They do. Amazon.com: Sling Media SlingLink Turbo Powerline Kit ( SL200-100 ): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BLpkIkHOL.@@AMEPARAM@@31%2BLpkIkHOL

If you don't want to go the wired route, you should google for a wireless bridge. I've used this type of bridge in the past for hooking up a TiVo and some game consoles:
Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RF0YWMP0L.@@AMEPARAM@@41RF0YWMP0L

Which type of networking you want to use with the 922 is probably going to largely depend on how your network is setup and how/if you want to use the sling features inside your house. I made a post on the sling problems sticky about some limitations of the sling feature and network configurations. It hasn't been approved yet, but once it is you probably want to read it before making any decisions about how to hook the box up to your network.

When my tech came out and installed and I explained my situation, he just installed a SlingLink Homeplug, no charge.
When my wireless bridge to my blu-ray player did not perform well at all, and the homeplug link was working so well with the 922, I went out and purchased a Netgear four port homeplug adapter and connected both to that.
I'm getting good speed to the 922 but not as fast as what I was getting with the SlingLink Homeplug, so then I read that the Sling homeplug is compatible with other adapters, so tomorrow I'm going to try connecting the Sling plug to the router and the four port Netgear adapter to the outlet near the entertainment center for the blu-ray (if you use the Sling plug for some reason you just need the Sling adapter that plugs into the router and not another adapter to the 922). I want to see if this ups my speed again to what I was getting. The blu-ray player works much better than it did vs. the bridge but still need a bit more speed for reliable HD steaming. Maybe I'll get that using the Sling Turbo adapter.
If this works, then this would free up the other four port Netgear adapter for future needs in another room (the Netgear kit came with two four ports, one for the router and one for the other room.)

Bottom line, if you just need it for the 922, the tech should install a homeplug for you at no extra charge. If you need more, consider a four port, but remember, don't plug two adapters (for instance, the sling adapter into the router and also the four port into the router for the blu-ray) into the router, just one. They don't play well together...lol.

For video streaming, anytime I try anything besides a wired cat5 I end up disappointed. I'm now playing with some Homeplug AV. Again, the problem is that Video streaming requires a very stable connection.

Powerline can be picky. It can't go through a UPS. Actually any power filter can mess up the signals. Even being plugged in near a UPS/Filter can mess it up. Also, crossing the two 120v phases causes problems (half your plugs are on 1 120v phase, and half are on the other, both phases are used to get 240v).

I picked up a Powerline phase couple for $30 from microcenter. It has helped, but certain outlets around the house are still unusable (large motors like your fridge tend to throw a lot of noise back onto the power lines).

Ugh, think I'll pull some more cat5 this weekend.

For video streaming, anytime I try anything besides a wired cat5 I end up disappointed. I'm now playing with some Homeplug AV. Again, the problem is that Video streaming requires a very stable connection.

Powerline can be picky. It can't go through a UPS. Actually any power filter can mess up the signals. Even being plugged in near a UPS/Filter can mess it up. Also, crossing the two 120v phases causes problems (half your plugs are on 1 120v phase, and half are on the other, both phases are used to get 240v).

I picked up a Powerline phase couple for $30 from microcenter. It has helped, but certain outlets around the house are still unusable (large motors like your fridge tend to throw a lot of noise back onto the power lines).

Ugh, think I'll pull some more cat5 this weekend.

Yeah, I gave up on the Powerline to my blu-ray. Just didn't work out, but the Homeplug to the 922 is very fast. Very happy with that!!

I was concerned that I would have to run a wire from router to 922 OR try the wireless usb adapter

, but was happy that install came free with a SlingLink.

SlingLink- wires to your router and then all electrical plugs in the house have internet connection that all boxes including 722 can use. No need for phone wires or internet into any dish boxes.

The installer is scheduled for this morning to add a 922. I'll move one of the 622s to the game room upstairs. This thread brought a question to mind.

In the past I was using Homeplug on the 622 because I only used it to call home. Then I tried to download something from Dish On-line and it took forever. I checked while downloading something else and I was only getting about 1.2 mbps on a 5 gig DSL connection. I plugged a Netgear wall wart in the outlet the 622 was plugged in and got 4.8 on my netbook. Said hmmm. Left the Netgear in place and plugged the 622 into my APC and used the ethernet port. Through trial and tribulation I discovered the Homeplug seemed to be the default broadband connection. And yes, it worked through the APC. So I then plugged the 622 into a power strip and voila. Now the ethernet port was the only broadband and I was downloading at 4.5+ and it's been that way for several months with no 622 problems.

Now, I wonder if the installer will go along with that or if he will want the 922 plugged into the outlet? Which is okay if the 922 Homeplug is faster than the 622. Guess I'll find out shortly, huh? Doesn't really matter because when my signature is on the work order and he's out the front door it's mine, all mine.:p In any case I'm looking forward to my new toy.

I doubt the receiver has drivers for a USB wireless adapter. Something that connects into the Ethernet port would work though. Like a wireless gaming adapter or some other device that will work in wireless bridge mode. It's not cheap, but I use a D-Link DAP-1555 to bridge 4 devices including my 922 into my home network. Streaming HD video is a breeze with that bridge connected to my Netgear WNDR3700.

Just guessing here, but, the VIP 922 uses a modified Linux operating system, and so should have some level of support for wireless USB adapters. Linux has always had enough problems with wireless support; the big question is how much did Dish lobotomize?

The 922 was installed and it would not connect using the Netgear powerline/ethernet so the tech gave me a Slinglink and it connected almost immediately. I've had it slingin' to a couple of my computers already.

Just guessing here, but, the VIP 922 uses a modified Linux operating system, and so should have some level of support for wireless USB adapters. Linux has always had enough problems with wireless support; the big question is how much did Dish lobotomize?

Linux actually had some of the best wireless support until the wireless industry moved to software radios. When they went to software radios, Linux ran into conflicts between the FCC rules about locking up the radio and the open principles that the software authors stood for.

That said, I doubt that the 922 had the wireless drivers built into it's kernel and even if they did it wouldn't help unless they specifically built the support to recognize the interface and to use it instead of the built in ethernet (the Linux kernel doesn't have DHCP and what not built into it, and network interfaces are typically brought up with shell scripts).

Given that it's something they'd have to go out of their way to support, I'd expect them to have it on their feature list if it was there. Plus they sell the SlingLink hardware, so there's really no reason for them to make it easier for you to buy someone else's wireless adaptor when they could sell you their powerline adaptor.

The 922 was installed and it would not connect using the Netgear powerline/ethernet so the tech gave me a Slinglink and it connected almost immediately. I've had it slingin' to a couple of my computers already.

I'm glad everything went well. My 922 is very stable (knock on wood) and I hope you have the same experience I have. Have you tried streaming a movie on the 922 yet with the SlingLink? It rocks, I have 15/5 internet and I get download speeds of between 12-13Mbps through the SlingLink. I'm very impressed!!

I can't wait for them to add more free HD content and change the 922 DishOnline user interface (which was announced at Team Summit). That's one of the very few complaints I've had about the 922.

I'm glad everything went well. My 922 is very stable (knock on wood) and I hope you have the same experience I have. Have you tried streaming a movie on the 922 yet with the SlingLink? It rocks, I have 15/5 internet and I get download speeds of between 12-13Mbps through the SlingLink. I'm very impressed!!

I can't wait for them to add more free HD content and change the 922 DishOnline user interface (which was announced at Team Summit). That's one of the very few complaints I've had about the 922.
I was watching Men in Black II this afternoon sitting in my wife's sewing room. Using a 17" lap top so it was pretty good. I did have some stops and stutters at first. Maybe that was due to the thing only being up and running about 4 or 5 hours? The search didn't work until tonight and all I can say is Wow.

And I will be happy to see the Dish-on-line also.

I was watching Men in Black II this afternoon sitting in my wife's sewing room. Using a 17" lap top so it was pretty good. I did have some stops and stutters at first. Maybe that was due to the thing only being up and running about 4 or 5 hours? The search didn't work until tonight and all I can say is Wow.

And I will be happy to see the Dish-on-line also.

My search didn't work the first day either, but yeah, it's fantastic. The only thing I miss from the older ViP boxes is that they had a history of what you searched for, which I used a lot to frequently look up movies that I wanted to record but were not in the 9 day search schedule. I wish they would add your search history back.

The 922 DishOnline is a mess. It gives me a headache just thinking about going in there, so I hope the talked about new UI for that portion of the 922 is coming soon, as well as more free HD content. It's next to nothing right now.

Also, I hear they are going to have apps and a browser, etc. for the 922, possibly added over the summer. I really think the 922 will be a incredible receiver once they get everything squared away.

My search didn't work the first day either, but yeah, it's fantastic. The only thing I miss from the older ViP boxes is that they had a history of what you searched for, which I used a lot to frequently look up movies that I wanted to record but were not in the 9 day search schedule. I wish they would add your search history back.

The 922 DishOnline is a mess. It gives me a headache just thinking about going in there, so I hope the talked about new UI for that portion of the 922 is coming soon, as well as more free HD content. It's next to nothing right now.

Also, I hear they are going to have apps and a browser, etc. for the 922, possibly added over the summer. I really think the 922 will be a incredible receiver once they get everything squared away.
I had missed the history bit. That was useful.

And watching anything on a computer monitor currently is on my "only way to see it" list. But I can see where it might be useful when on my Netbook in a waiting room somewhere that does have wireless. At 72 we're getting to where we spend a bit of time in waiting rooms ;)

As for a browser, I still have trouble getting my head around using my 922 and 82" Mits to surf the innerpipes :p The only thing I can think of is maybe using it to watch some missed episodes on the various network and other sites. Don't need it for Netflix, that's on my BD player. But when it comes, I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)