Wireless headphones for TV

GRExpert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
I am looking to get wireless headphones for my tv in the bedroom so my wife can sleep and I can watch the tv without waking her. Has anyone had luck with this? What do I need to look for to make it work? Thanks for your help.

WIRELESS HEADPHONES

they work well I have a JVC & A/R both work well about 100' from base unit

One feature to look for in the design is an open or closed design. An open design allows some of the sound to escape from behind the speaker. Although it is not very loud, If your wife is a light sleeper and you are listening to a loud scene, it could wake her. A closed design does not allow sound from behind the speaker.

I have a pair of Sennheiser phones I got from Best Buy. Here's a link. I don't think these are exactly the model I have, but this R120 model is newer and also a bit less expensive. (I bought mine as an "out of box" special for about the same price about 2 years ago. I think they listed for something like $150.) I wear mine primarily while I'm on the treadmill. It's a linear distance of about 25' from the transmitter/recharger base and the reception is almost perfect. I could probably make it 100% by relocating the base. I can also wear these as I walk throughout my house and even outside around my pool with good, but not perfect reception in almost all areas (some minor "dropouts", like driving while listening to FM radio). The sound quality is quite good, more than adequate for TV and most music listening. (For critical music listening I use a better wired pair.) The batteries last several hours (6?), between recharges, obviously dependent on audio level and use pattern. I find I only need to put mine on the recharger base about every 5 days, using them approx. 1 hr. per day. My model has a "surround sound" mode that is interesting, definitely opens-up the sound field. But it sounds artificial for some sources and sometimes adds some (processing?) noise that I don't like, so I rarely use that mode. Sennheiser also offers less expensive models. I like the "German quality" these have. They are relatively lightweight, but built solid. I have dropped them several times without any apparent effect. They wipe clean easily and the ear cushions are easily removeable for cleaning or replacement.

What to look for is somewhat what to "listen" for. They should sound good to you for a variety of program content. As mentioned above, if you're next to your wife in bed and want the quietest environment for her then you want an "over ear" design that keeps the sound in. And you want something that feels comfortable to you. Time for some "test drives" !! Check the link for more information, but you should shop around for better price...

Sennheiser - Open-Aire Supraural Wireless RF Headphones - Black - RS120

Last edited:
I have these and I absolutely love them for all phases of wireless audio. talking on the cell phone is incredible. they come with an accessory adapter that will work with anything that has a headphone jack. One versatile headset. You recharge and no batteries to worry about.

check out this link
Plantronics Pulsar 590A Bluetooth Stereo Headset - NEW - eBay (item 140266692227 end time Sep-22-08 16:44:25 PDT)

Would something like this work with a tv? It is not a high tech tv by any means. Just a standard 32 inch in a bedroom. Thanks.

your tv would have to have a headphone jack or if u use an alternate form of audio e.g. theatre in a box, receiver etc......

some tvs also have a mode where you can use composite cable (red and white) out of the back and turn off the internal speaker of your tv. If your tv is capable of doing this, u can get a $2 adapter at Radio shack that will adapt to a female headphone jack. If u can get this to work, u WILL NOT be disappointed.

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)