Wireless Joey in metal building

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tomshoup

Original poster
Jul 22, 2022
Tifton, GA
I am an average homeowner with no electrical experience who is building a 40W x 60L x 16H metal building and have a home DISH satellite TV. I would like to have DISH for my man cave TV. Would a wireless Joey work? The connection point will be about 125 feet from the Hopper. I have WiFi in my house. If not, what are my options…. in English please and thank you!

Having metal structural construction should not necessarily block your Wi-Fi signal, but metal siding will. You should have a low-voltage conduit buried along with your power so you can pull Ethernet or Fiber to be able to extend your Wi-Fi into your out building. Make sure the conduit is large enough to run multiple cables in case you find you need to run more cables in the future. Also, it shouldn’t have any 90° bends unless they are a radiused bend to allow the cable(s) to move freely.
125’ is pretty far.
It isn’t so much not getting a signal, but at 125’ the bit-rate will be so low that quality will probably suffer.

Having metal structural construction should not necessarily block your Wi-Fi signal, but metal siding will. You should have a low-voltage conduit buried along with your power so you can pull Ethernet or Fiber to be able to extend your Wi-Fi into your out building. Make sure the conduit is large enough to run multiple cables in case you find you need to run more cables in the future. Also, it shouldn’t have any 90° bends unless they are a radiused bend to allow the cable(s) to move freely.It isn’t so much not getting a signal, but at 125’ the bit-rate will be so low that quality will probably suffer.
If you are running that conduit it would be a good idea to place a coax in that same conduit with ethernet so that you have both wifi and the ability to use a regular Joey instead of a wireless one. The best of all worlds.

I had a fine time running my J3 over GigE (no coax) for a couple of years before I returned the Joey to dish. Note that such a configuration is unsupported and might not work forever, I don't know why.

Don't the WJ and the Wifi (e.g. via dongle) if not MoCA as well all work via IP? They can't de-support those features.

Reactions: charlesrshell