wireless joey........not many threads

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
isn't anyone having them installed? or are they working so well that there are no complaints

I want to upgrade to the hopper/wireless joey setup........but an awaiting some feedback on how well the wireless setup operates

I had the Hopper and a wireless Joey installed a week ago. At first the installer was unhappy with the signal strength, around 35-40 if I remember correctly. We were able to elevate the Joey about 3 feet to the top of hutch, and the signal strength improved to around 45. Thursday I got spotty reception (pixelating, freezing). So I elevated the sending unit attached to the Hopper and the signal strength went to 50. No probs after that. While the straight line dist from the sending unit to the Joey is about 15-16 feet, there are 2 walls, a door, and a metal chimney flue between the units. BTW, the installer wanted me to go with a wired Joey the moment he saw the first signal reading. I don't blame him. I'm sure he would catch a ration of crap if I called later to complain. But elevating the Joey temporarily solved the problem. Next test will be to move the Joey to the front bedroom when the grandkids come....

I have a signal strength of around 45 and I get some pauses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dish requires a signal level of 45 for the wireless joeys. We're not supposed to install them if we can't get that.

I think the reason you don't see a ton of threads about the Wireless Joey is because 1) There are not a lot of them installed yet because Dish prefers a wired Joey and is not pushing the Wireless ones, and 2) The people that do have them are not having any issues with them.

I have one and it works great. You would have no idea that it receives it's signal wireless. The bare minimum signal strength for the Wireless Joey is 45 but I would not recommend that because it can still have signal outage. The signal can fluctuate about 10 points plus or minus. The last time I checked mine I think it was at 63.

I am still running one off a wireless N adapter from dish via my router. it works well and I have no added 2 year commitment.

After having the wireless Joey for a little bit, I would just stick with the ad hoc setup with the wireless adapter. Mine worked better ad hoc since it received a stronger wifi signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still running one off a wireless N adapter from dish via my router. it works well and I have no added 2 year commitment.

I just purchased the Wireless Joey and Access point and installed it myself. No added 24 month commitment for me but if your current setup works great there's no need to make a change.

Be careful with the wifi adapter on the Joey. The techops at dish were able to prove that it burnt out quite a few routers, and also cause a couple small fires. That's why dish never used it as an approved setup. Anyone who had theirs set up that way, was unsupported.

Be careful with the wifi adapter on the Joey. The techops at dish were able to prove that it burnt out quite a few routers, and also cause a couple small fires. That's why dish never used it as an approved setup. Anyone who had theirs set up that way, was unsupported.
I find it hard to believe that a wireless router sending data wirelessly like it is supposed to (even if it's a high volume, but that is done regularly with tablets/smartphones) is going to fry a router or start a fire.

I know there can be performance issues based on the router or network, but causing a fire seems like a tall tale to me.

Different routers, different cables. Only common factor was they were using the wireless router as a pass through. Again, this was passed down from the techops. So I'm sure there was more that went into it, but that is why dish does not support it, and why they came out with their own wireless access point.

I'm wanting to get one so I can watch Football on my back patio while firing up the pit and having some adult beverages. If a tech visit is not needed, are they fairly simple to install?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm wanting to get one so I can watch Football on my back patio while firing up the pit and having some adult beverages. If a tech visit is not needed, are they fairly simple to install?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Very easy. I was impressed by how simple it was. It's worked flawlessly for me.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)