Wireless Joey questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
We've got a Hopper 3 and two 4K Joeys. One of the 4K Joeys is in our sunroom, which is out of commission in the winter. I chose the 4K Joeys due to performance; I likely will not have a 4K TV in the sunroom for at least another couple of years.

Question: My wife asked about trading the 4K Joey in the sunroom for a wireless Joey in order to allow us to move the sunroom TV and Joey to the kitchen, basement, etc. in the winter. How much performance difference are we likely to notice?

Also, what's the cost of trading in the 4K Joey for a Wireless Joey?

Also appreciate any other information I should have to make a good decision here.

Thanks!

We've got a Hopper 3 and two 4K Joeys. One of the 4K Joeys is in our sunroom, which is out of commission in the winter. I chose the 4K Joeys due to performance; I likely will not have a 4K TV in the sunroom for at least another couple of years.

Question: My wife asked about trading the 4K Joey in the sunroom for a wireless Joey in order to allow us to move the sunroom TV and Joey to the kitchen, basement, etc. in the winter. How much performance difference are we likely to notice?

Also, what's the cost of trading in the 4K Joey for a Wireless Joey?

Also appreciate any other information I should have to make a good decision here.

Thanks!
I have two 4KJs and two WJs. The WJ is a little slower performance than the 4KJ. For your WJ you will need a Wireless Access Point (WAP) that attaches to your Hopper by Ethernet cable. Not sure on the cost to do a trade.

Reactions: docdaddy
Again, in my experience as a technician, the wifi Joey is slower than the 4k Joey. But not as slow as a Joey 2. That being said, I had some extra wifi adapters from my Wally's I had installed in my home. With the Joey 2's you can connect a WiFi adapter and use them wirelessly as long as your hopper is connected to your router. If you can score a WiFi adapter for free or next to nothing, get a Joey 2 and save yourself the 25 dollar fee.

That's an interesting option. I assume I can't use DishAnywhere on my Roku, right?
Unfortunately it is currently only on the FireTV devices. But I have had good luck with it, I replaced a Joey on my kitchen TV and have added it to other TVs, even taking a Fire TV on vacation and using it our hotel room.

Any ota programming on my wireless joey is unwatchable, yet fine on my hws

Was there a workaround for this?
Do you have a single or dual OTA dongle. If single, you (and me) are hosed until Dish ever get's it fixed. Affects all Joeys.

Reactions: charlesrshell