Wireless Joey WIFI Connection Issue

plumerman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I have the Hopper 3 w/ sling. I have 3 wireless joeys and now for some reason only 1 will connect to Hopper using my WiFi. The other two will not reset the connection and just keeps asking me to check the WAP that I do not use. During the reset of the network connection it shows Ethernet connection type but it’s not connected with Ethernet. Any suggestions? I’ve reset the whole system several times and nothing helps.

I have the Hopper 3 w/ sling. I have 3 wireless joeys and now for some reason only 1 will connect to Hopper using my WiFi. The other two will not reset the connection and just keeps asking me to check the WAP that I do not use. During the reset of the network connection it shows Ethernet connection type but it’s not connected with Ethernet. Any suggestions? I’ve reset the whole system several times and nothing helps.

So are you saying that you're trying to use Wireless Joeys without a WAP? On your home WiFi?

If that's the case it's not supported and won't work.

Well I ended up using the WAP to get the other two connected. But my 3rd Joey is still connected to my WiFi. All 3 were connected to my WiFi for the last year with no issues. But now I have the Netflix not available error on my Joeys!can’t win

Well I ended up using the WAP to get the other two connected. But my 3rd Joey is still connected to my WiFi. All 3 were connected to my WiFi for the last year with no issues. But now I have the Netflix not available error on my Joeys!can’t win
Who is your Internet provider? Also, is it just Netflix or do all Internet functions not work? Bridging may be turned off in Network Settings/Advanced tab or if you have a Mediacom/Comcast/Spectrum gateway, you may need a third party router set up for the Hopper to connect to in lieu of the Gateway

I have Comcast currently. Dish support said my hopper wasn’t updated to latest software , so now I’m trying to get software updated on hopper . 1st try to update and put all equipment on standby for an hour did not work. Software update was not installed after selecting update on hopper. Now it’s back to tech support:(

1st tech support contact- Was told the first time software needed updating. After that didn’t work, on my 2nd tech support contact was told my software was the latest version 535 and was escalated to a “senior” tech , and basically did a partial reset because it was almost quitting time and told me to call back if I still had issues tomorrow. Total of 3 hours between tech support and waiting for updates that never came. Still same problem no Netflix access from joeys

1st tech support contact- Was told the first time software needed updating. After that didn’t work, on my 2nd tech support contact was told my software was the latest version 535 and was escalated to a “senior” tech , and basically did a partial reset because it was almost quitting time and told me to call back if I still had issues tomorrow. Total of 3 hours between tech support and waiting for updates that never came. Still same problem no Netflix access from joeys
You have Comcast. That's your problem. not your software version. It's just aggravating that tghe CSR's are too stupid to look a the list of routers that have compatibility issues with Hoppers.

Comcast routers/Gateways don't play well with Hoppers. The easiest thing to do it to attach a separate router to your Comcast Gateway, then connect the Hopper to that or find a way to get and put in a HIC. As for updating software, just unplug your joeys, go to tools in the Diagnostics menu and update software, then, if it starts updating, walk away for 40 minutes

Reactions: osumike
You have Comcast. That's your problem. not your software version. It's just aggravating that tghe CSR's are too stupid to look a the list of routers that have compatibility issues with Hoppers.

Comcast routers/Gateways don't play well with Hoppers. The easiest thing to do it to attach a separate router to your Comcast Gateway, then connect the Hopper to that or find a way to get and put in a HIC. As for updating software, just unplug your joeys, go to tools in the Diagnostics menu and update software, then, if it starts updating, walk away for 40 minutes

What I don’t understand is why all of the sudden now, it stopped working. I’ve have same xfinity router on the system and it worked fine. I’m swapping out xfinity for local fiber optic service next week so I’ll see if that makes a difference

What I don’t understand is why all of the sudden now, it stopped working. I’ve have same xfinity router on the system and it worked fine. I’m swapping out xfinity for local fiber optic service next week so I’ll see if that makes a difference
Xfinity may have pushed an update to the Gateway, plus it's intermittent. I've seen some work fine and others, DNS fails