Wireless LAN Solution For VIP 622

A bridge and game adapter are the same. The game adapters are labeled as such to indicate a higher level of performance. Sometimes that is true other times it is not. The Linksys gaming adapter is completely configurable through a PC and can work with an xbox, xbox 360, or PS 2 to boot.

The game adapters are labeled as such to indicate a higher level of performance.
True. They don't offer a higher level of performance though. It is just to get more money and instill confidence that it will work with gaming devices since that is a big market.

Add dlink-g820 to the list of wireless working. get ip address ok.
Testing connection under diagnostics says broadband is ok, there's also an upload logs option where you can select ethernet, but didnt know what that was for so didnt want to use it.

I have my Netgear wireless game adapter hooked up and it is working (the 622 shows an IP address). I did configure it through my computer first.

Hope this helps

Linksys WTR54GS

Another option is the Linksys WTR54GS. This is a little travel router intended for use in hotels, etc. It is like a mini router/bridge in one small package. For WAN input it can either accept ethernet or wifi. In turn, it offers one ethernet port and wifi with DHCP, etc.

I currently use mine as a repeater to extend my wifi coverage. The only limitation I can think of is that when the WAN source is wifi, the signal must be open (based on an error message I receive). This is not a huge issue for me since my router supports VLANs - I have one VLAN for my secured network and a second open VLAN for visitors, etc. The open VLAN provides the source for the WTR54GS, which in turn extends my open network. Since it is downstream from my main router, the only risk is to my local open wifi signal.

When I am ready to plug my ViP622 into the network, I will probably use the WTR54GS to connect to my network. I like the idea of it being on a separate VLAN from the rest of my network traffic anyway! :)

I enabled the Ethernet port on my Airport Express and plugged the 622 into it. It's working so I didn't have to buy anything!

I successfully set up my 622 tonight using the Built in HomePlug chip. My 622 is just plugged into the power outlet and it gets its IP address over that connection.

I have a Power Line Adapter down at my router which the 622 connects to. This allows the 622 to talk to the router and pass IP traffic. This is without Ethernet or 802.11.

Doesn't matter. All the 622 knows is that it's getting IP data over an ethernet cable attached to it. The mechanism to get it from the net to the ethernet cable going into the 622 doesn't matter.

What will matter is speed if DISH starts pushing or letting us pull VOD or any other data thru the port. But for the phone-home feature b is fine.

802.11b should be fine even for VOD. I doubt that your internet connection will be faster than the throughput for 802.11b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts