Wireless laptop to TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
A relative of mine wants advice on how to hook up his laptop to display on his TV wirelessly via his wifi. He currently uses a cable. I'm sure a BT solution, if there is one, would be acceptable. Operative word here is CHEAP. Or perhaps we could gift it to him. TV is not internet capable.

Recommendations?

Does he have Internet and a router?
Does he want to play videos on his TV, or see the desktop?
What connectors does the TV have? (composite, component, VGA, HDMI?
How cheap is cheap?

I don't think BT has the bandwidth, so probably wifi is the only choice.
The laptop has wifi built in?

edit: yes, Joe has a good solution :)
Linuxman was just telling me about a wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse he got .
Model mk260, @ $37. on Amazon @ $29

Last edited:
Does the tv have a rj45 plug? If so, then get a RJ45 to wireless adapter.

FYI: Bluetooth works fine. I have a Warpia Ultra speed USB adapter. Streams video from my laptop to an adapter plugged into an HDMI port on the TV. Also VGA output. I think they are currently selling for $150+.

FYI: Bluetooth works fine. I have a Warpia Ultra speed USB adapter. Streams video from my laptop to an adapter plugged into an HDMI port on the TV. Also VGA output. I think they are currently selling for $150+.

I've passed the 130B version idea on to him, as well as the NetGear.

Does the tv have a rj45 plug? If so, then get a RJ45 to wireless adapter.

I've asked him for more info, model # etc & esp about the RJ-45. I highly doubt he has a TV with that feature. Too thrifty.

I've also passes on the wireless keyboard/mouse to him, which will likely appeal as the cheapest & simplest.

Wireless keyboard and mouse is not only the cheapest way to do it, but I think it is the best way. The reason being is that I would rather have a keyboard and mouse in my recliner/couch viewing the big screen tv with what is on the laptop instead of the laptop on my lap. It just makes more sense to me.

I was researching the wireless HDMI possibility a while back but am glad I went the wireless keyboard/mouse route as well. I ended up buying a separate 32 inch television to do my computing while I watch tv on the big screen.

TV is a Toshiba Regza 46RV530U. No RJ-45. Laptop is a Toshiba Vostro 1700. VGA & S-Video out. No HDMI.

The wireless keyboard/mouse combo really seems best at this point.

I assume the TV does VGA in.
In which case ya run the laptop in the highest resolution the TV will take.

That only leaves sound, so another cable to TV or HiFi.
Laptop probably has 3.5mm? TV has RCA ?

Time for a visit to MonoPrice...or Amazon. ;)

This is one of those scenarios where Mac users have it so easy; macbook, airplay, and apple tv, and streaming is an ease. Not that I do it often, but it works incredibly well. Its something that Roku should figure out for PCs, would be a nice selling point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)