Wiring for both Dish AND Cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

airphotos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Omaha
I don't know if this question has been asked before (couldn't find it in a search), but here is my dilemma...

We just bought a house that is approximately 60 years old. It is prewired for cable in some rooms, but is lacking outlets in key areas of the house that we need (i.e. master bedroom). This is concerning me because there is limited access in these rooms as far as crawlspace is concerned.

My question is, I want to have both satellite and cable in the new house. I need cable for cable internet and satellite for Dish Network. Is this possible and if so, is something that the cable company or satellite provider can do? Or do I need to hire someone (electrician?) to rewire the house?

In a nutshell, I need just one CABLE outlet at the point I place my cable modem and router and satellite at all the other outlets in the house.

Thanks for any advice!

Usually satellite TV and cable internet don't play well together on the same cable. I would have the satellite installed, then have the cable company come in and run one cable to the router location..

I have mine on separate cables for the reasons bross related. If you want your home wired in a particular way, you either have to do it yourself or hire someone else to do it. Both the cable and sat providers are going to do basic, get-it-done, wiring. That doesn't mean doing a crappy job, just that it will be done in the fastest easiest way possible for the most part. That means unless you have a hub/panel inside the house for your wiring, they will run cable on the outside of the home and then through the wall into the room. If you want a single cable to enter the house and then go from there, that's usually on the homeowner to get the cabling done that way. If you can get them to do wall fishing, you'll likely be charged extra. Don't forget some Cat 6 for gigabit ethernet. You'll want to have your receivers and PCs connected via ethernet instead of Homeplug or wireless for best results bandwidthwise.

airphotos,

My main advice would be to minimize the amount of cable-internet coax cable.

Put your cable-internet modem as close as possible to where the cable TV company has the coax cable run underground/overhead.

You can plug it into a cheap Costco UPS if you have power from Blinky Power and Light.

It will hold power for a long time with just the modem as a load.

Then, run cat-5e cable to where you need internet.

My cable-internet modem is over a hundred feet from my main router.

Wont using diplexers work. We use diplexers all the time here to bring in satellite and cable for the customer as long as it's not a dual tuner receiver. Backfeeding a dual tuner receiver uses the same frequencies as cable - so it won't work, its at this time you need two cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)