Wiring question for 3rd receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hdfxsti

Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Hey guys, I'm in the process of finishing an addition to my house and plan to add a receiver to this room. I installed my original system about 8 years ago (dual LNB going to two receivers). I am considering adding DVR, I understand there are some differences in wiring for DVR. Can someone please explain this? Also what kind of switch do I need to run the 3rd line. Thanks

Right now, you have 2 lines from the dish, one to each tuner, you would want a [*]3x4 multiswitch, which will give you four, run the 2 lines from the dish to the 3 side of the 3x4 (the 3rd will say ANT, that is for OTA use, do not use it for satellite), then run the two lines you have now from the 4 side of the new 3x4, and the other 2 to your new DVR (which has 2 tuners, so it needs 2 seperate runs).

[*]: Or, 2x4

That sounds simple enough...thanks for the help!

No problem, one more thing, when you do install the switch, and before you go dis(re)connecting tuners, make sure you unplug all receivers from the AC power (shutting them off is NOT good enough), not doing this could result in a accidental short, which can damage the LNB.

Good luck, let us know how it went. :)

If you have the resources, I would strongly prefer that you run three RG-6 (w/ solid copper core) to each outlet. The third one being for OTA. I don't care what any one says, you should not give up your over the air ATSC (better picture, lesser processed, reduced latency, content redundancy, and monthly maintenance costs, i.e. its free).

Someday we all will have fiber running throughout the house. Until then, I say go for 3.

If you have the resources, I would strongly prefer that you run three RG-6 (w/ solid copper core) to each outlet. The third one being for OTA. I don't care what any one says, you should not give up your over the air ATSC (better picture, lesser processed, reduced latency, content redundancy, and monthly maintenance costs, i.e. its free).

Someday we all will have fiber running throughout the house. Until then, I say go for 3.

I agree with this, I only mentioned the 2x4 as a footnote.

:)

I'm not familiar with OTA but I guess I'm in the right place to learn. Thanks again for the help!

All great ideas... but as long as the walls are open, consider running a 4th line just for the heck of it. You can't tell when you might want another feed in the room, suppose you suddenly choose to add cable (or a second directional OTA antenna) to the D* HD-DVR and OTA? It's much more convenient if the un-used wire is in the wall, at the wall-plate, ready to be used. And unless it's a very long run, it's a nickle-and-dime show in comparison to the cost of the full addition to your house.

The point here is to have one more run than you expect to use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)