wiring question/separator

crc

Nov 15, 2004
I have three receivers. A 322, a 3800, and a 2800. I also have a Dish 500
with a Legacy Quad LNB. I recently moved to a new, prewired house.
There is one coaxial line going into the house which enters a distribution box
with four outputs. My question is for the 322, can I use the existing single coaxial running into the house with a separator at the back of my receiver to run the two tuners? Then just run two new lines to the distribution box for the older receivers. Any other ideas or wiring info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

As for the existing coax if you plan on using it to connect from dish to receivers it needs to be RG6 rated for 2Ghz. Guess you can try the existing first and see if there are any problems. If that coax was being used for satellite before then you should be all set.

As for using a separator for the 322 you'll need dishpro plus series LNB or a DPP44 switch to have that capability. Since you have legacy you won't be to use the dishpro separator method.

If you are willing to upgrade dish electronics to Dish Pro Twin and then add a DPP-44 switch you could do it. As long as you are running the 2 lines for the Legcy receivers it might be just as easy and cheaper to run three new lines.

price

A DP Twin and a DPP-44 is friggin outrageous, your looking at over $200 pretty much. Just get a DP Quad LNB and run 4 wires (RG-6), 2 to the inputs of the 322 and one to each of the other receivers. The Dish Pro Plus LNBs are nice but I dont think they are out yet, at least not in my area. And you need the DPP separator to split the signal. But you would need 2 separators because you have essentially 4 lines. A DP Quad and 4 seperate wires would probably be cheapest.

Edit: Although I don't like reusing old cable(it dies sooner than expected) you can reuse your RG-59 that is already there for the 2800 and 3800 receivers and it will work. These receivers output less power to the dish so it won't really overload the line. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. All the coaxial in the house in new RG6. I was just trying to avoid running an extra line to my distribution box.

AEITech,

What area are you out of? DPP LNB's have been out since last year.

crc,

Couple things to consider here.

1. COST - The Leagacy Quad ( You need Legacy as you have 2 legacy receivers ) is going to be alot less money than the DP Twin and a DPP44 switch. The thing is, how hard is it going to be to rewire your house to get the nessesary coax lines to your 322.

2. FUTURE UPGRADES - With the Legacy quad you are stuck with what you have. With the DPP44 you will have much more ability to upgrade in the future. For the couple of dollars it will take, it may be worth it in the future.

Also don't forget, if you decide to go DPP 44 switch, you will also need to purchase two Dish Pro adapters for the legacy rcvrs. They will not work with Dish Pro equiptment without them.

Good luck

Here's another solution.

Replace the old, tired Legacy receivers with another 322, and replace the Legacy Quad with a DPP-Twin. Two wires from dish to distribution, DPP Separator at back of receiver.

Do NOT overpay for this stuff. DPP-Twins are as common as anything else now, and DPP Separators with jumpers ship in a new dual-tuner box (unless they forget to pack them). If you need a DPP-Sep setup, I'll send it to you for $6. I can also sell you a 322, but dishstore.net is a fine sponsor here with a good rep - and they're more setup to handle long-distance issues. Heck - they're good guys, you should be able to get a nice deal on the whole doggone package (DPP-Twin, DPP-Sep for existing 322, new 322).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)