Wiring question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kyguy

Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Kentucky
I'm just all over these forums the past few days. ;)

I posted a similar question in the DirectTV forum and got the answer I needed, but after looking a bit more at offerings I'm reconsidering Dish.

So I'm buying a somewhat new house and I desperately want to avoid a house wrap installation and holes drilled through the walls to pull cables through. Right now the house has RG59 in all rooms. It wouldn't be a very big deal for me to fish my own RG6. Considering I'll be pulling out the old RG59, I already have a roundabout fishtape in place!

The question I have is how many cables need to be dropped to each room? I'm actually planning on pulling two RG6 lines into each room so that I have a separate line for an antenna, but if the Dish system needs two lines then I guess I can pull three but that will get harder to pull through. Will bringing all of the drops together in the middle of the attic be acceptable? Can the switch/demux (whatever Dish calls it) be installed there?

Right now I will only be hooking up two TVs, and since they are both HDTVs I would like to get two of the solo HD receivers.

Bonus question, is the wireless adapter kit from Dish very expensive? I'd like to hook the living room TV to the 'net.

Yes, you can "star" the cables into the attic at a switch. You only need one RG6 cable per receiver using DPP technology, and you can diplex the OTA signal over that single cable as well. (I do.) Also consider getting the new Dish Hopper/Joey combination. The signal from the node to the Joeys can be RG59. The only place you really need all 3 cables is between dish and (in your case) the attic.

Do you notice a huge signal loss when diplexing the antenna with the satellite? I tried it once at my parents house with one of the SD duo receivers and the satellite signal operated at such a high frequency that it almost completely squelched the OTA signal.

Is the hopper/Joey system out? The Dish site doesn't have much info on it.

No I didn't, but I also used a distribution amp with four outputs to feed all those diplexers. ;)

The Hopper/Joey system is not yet out.

I did it with my 211K and for me there is virtually no loss.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Hola

I have a Super Dish with inbuilt DPP44 Switch. A month ago the Comcast guy disturbed the wiring. I see two wires coming from the Super Dish, is it really two wires coming from the Super Dish or one wire only. I see two wires coming from the Dish. Do I need an adapter to connect to one wire from the Super Dish?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Chhaava said:
Hola

I have a Super Dish with inbuilt DPP44 Switch. A month ago the Comcast guy disturbed the wiring. I see two wires coming from the Super Dish, is it really two wires coming from the Super Dish or one wire only. I see two wires coming from the Dish. Do I need an adapter to connect to one wire from the Super Dish?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

You should have 3 wires coming off a superdish running to a switch. Are you sure it's a superdish? They may have disabled 121 and just have 2 lines coming off the dish but with a superdish it still needs to go to a switch. Double check the dish and go from there. Also, what do you mean by "inbuilt" 44 switch??

Super dish was discontinued some years ago, the existing ones can be adapted to use the DPP Lnb for 119,118,110 which sound like what you have in that case you only need 1 wire per reciever, Dual recievers using diplexers to carry signal from Reciever to 2nd tv will not carry any cable signal or OTA because of signal conflicts.

mikethedishguy said:
Super dish was discontinued some years ago, the existing ones can be adapted to use the DPP Lnb for 119,118,110 which sound like what you have in that case you only need 1 wire per reciever, Dual recievers using diplexers to carry signal from Reciever to 2nd tv will not carry any cable signal or OTA because of signal conflicts.

The kit to modify the superdish LNB still required a switch, are you thinking of the new 500+ DP LNB? Thats a totally different dish from the old superdish That new one doesn't need a switch.

mikethedishguy said "Dual recievers using diplexers to carry signal from Reciever to 2nd tv will not carry any cable signal or OTA because of signal conflicts."

The two DPP bands (below and above 2GHz, IIRC) do not use the same spectrum as OTA (well below 1GHz). So you can bandpass diplex Dish with OTA up to full UHF now channel 60, was 83 (~700MHz)--different mapping from cable above 13. Splitter/combiner should have Sat, OTA, and combined port and will lose only a few dBs at most. Cable high-end, typically digital, may cause problems with the lower-satellite/primary/single-tuner band.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts