withe upgraded EA (post nimiq-5)

Actually the Eastern Arc dish has a lot more snow fade because of the angle of the dish and the satellites in the sky the dish fills up quick with snow.

Its one of the only disadvantages of the Eastern Arc setup.

Actually the Eastern Arc dish has a lot more snow fade because of the angle of the dish and the satellites in the sky the dish fills up quick with snow.

Its one of the only disadvantages of the Eastern Arc setup.
Lets not get too crazy now. :rolleyes:
The angle of the dish isn't that drastic.
I've had no more snow Fade with the 1000.4 or anyother satellite dish including D*
I live 1,950 above sea level in the Pocono Mt's.
The angle setting might be about 40-42*
But the Dish itself is still about 90% strait up and down.
Its not sitting flat on the mount.:)

Scott -- Hmmm never thought of that, always assumed the more "up" the LNB was the less tree issues I would have. But I see what you are saying the more "up" it is the actual reflector can act like a bowl. Too bad Clack Griswald's (sp?) non-stick spry didn't come to market LOL.. Since we are both in CT how much snow collects? Since mine is (would) be mounted far far away from easy access.

Hemi - PA I assume is "close" to the same settings does your 1000.4 collect much snow?

I just wish I knew why my previous DirecTV setup started getting rainfade or searching for satellite for maybe 20-45 seconds per 30-60 min at random even if it was nice out but did happen more when overcast. Had 2 techs one was even a "senior" sent from the OOP team - both said the dish was peaked and didn't adjust; said my DVR's might be getting "old" but I didn't want to sign a 24 month ext to find our LOL

And using Tivo with Cable and the damn cable cards and tuning adapters is way worse LOL

OK sorry for hi-jacking my own post and rambling on....

John

Well I am glad that snow is not much a problem in southeast Texas. It snowed but didn't stick last Saturday and a year ago on the 11th of December we had about 2 or 3 inches that did stick . OF course last year in December I was using the Western arc 1000.2 sat dish. I am using the eastern arc dish that I installed myself and I am getting the following signal strengths on all three sats;

77 sat 50 -58
72.7 sat 60-70
61.5 sat 41-70

i lose 61.5 during snow and rain,but never lose 110 or 119 in springfield .which is kinda annoying because most of the hd is on 61.5

Have you tried a repeak? I was having similar problem last winter then repeaked and now 61.5 is same reliability as 110 & 119. At least here. The second tech that came out used a hand held meter and the improvement was huge.

I have been on EA for about a year now after moving to a new house with WA LOS issues.

I found that, as Scott says, the angle of the dish is more upward, thus making it more likely to collect snow and ice. Because of this I found that it did collect a significant amount of snow compared with WA. This summer I installed a HotShot electrical dish heater on the front of the dish. I have used these before and expect a total solution to the snow/ice issue.

Also, I have found that the more upward point of the dish has resulted in fewer thunderstom outages. I believe that this is due to Less acute angle (to the horizon) prescribing a smaller "circle of influence" to the 30,000 foot (or so) thunderheads. Or maybe it was just a nicer summer!

Last edited:
Don't forget I run DishRetailer.COM and one of the biggest complaints from retailers in EA markets is all the phone call they get after it snows as the roof mounted dishes are filled with snow. It is an issue unfortunately.

Don't forget I run DishRetailer.COM and one of the biggest complaints from retailers in EA markets is all the phone call they get after it snows as the roof mounted dishes are filled with snow. It is an issue unfortunately.

Hmmm

I guess I have to re-think my planns now. I was going to have Dish come out next week to remove the Slimline 5LNB D* dish and reuse the mast for the 1000.4 (from some fine fellow sat-guys here said a reducer adapter can be used). But my install point is on the top corner of my roof and its not easy to access as the yard is on a slope (rear of house is 1 story and front is "2-story". Cleaning out snow is a no go... heck I hate getting a ladder in the summer LOL.

Shaggy, I got one of those and found that the bolt holes are setup for DirecTV and will not line up with the Dish bolt holes. So to prevent pinching the flexible circuits you must install it on the front of the 1000.4 (others I'm not sure of).

EASTERN ARC DISH

I have the eastern arc dish. I live in south central PA. Snow builds up on my dish I have to go out and use the garden hose to clean it off, my signal has always been weak no higher than about 48. Tech was out to twek it but he could not get it any higher. I have alot of rain fad during bad thunder storms. What is a good signal for my area?:)

I have the eastern arc dish. I live in south central PA. Snow builds up on my dish I have to go out and use the garden hose to clean it off, my signal has always been weak no higher than about 48. Tech was out to twek it but he could not get it any higher. I have alot of rain fad during bad thunder storms. What is a good signal for my area?:)
What satellite and Transponder did you have a 48%
I mean, Eastern Arc uses 3 Orbital locations with I'm sure atleast 32 transponders total.
I'm sure I have a 48 as well somewhere as well, I also have 80 somewhere too.